Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2012 - 2013 Bowhunting Contest
Official Team 5 Bloodtrail Brothers Thread >

Official Team 5 Bloodtrail Brothers Thread

View Poll Results: Should points be awarded for does?
No, leave the contest as is.
16.67%
Yes, 50 points per doe.
50.00%
Yes, 20 points per doe.
33.33%
Others (post in thread)
0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Official Team 5 Bloodtrail Brothers Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Three and a half days of hunting and I saw some slick heads and a four point. I would have taken a couple of does if I would have had an opening to shoot through the brush. They don't always go where you have shooting lanes. The four point was chasing a doe (right under me). I was surprised to see a buck chasing this early.

Last edited by GRIZZLYMAN; 10-22-2012 at 05:35 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:18 AM
Fork Horn

Good to hear you're seeing him at least Rack! RIStrut seems like that's how it ends up working always huh? Grizz glad you got to spend some time in the stand at least.

Thursday I'm heading out to MT for a gun hunt (would have liked to try bow but I guess MT doesn't allow you to bring a bow during gun season). I'm hoping to get a morning or two bowhunting in WI after I get back 11/3, and right now it looks like the 11/10 weekend is open. Gun season starts in WI on 11/17 and goes through 11/25, and then late season bow goes into early January typically.

Good luck to everyone headed out soon!!
Old 10-26-2012, 05:57 AM
Spike

Good luck this weekend team. The cold weather is here and the bucks should start moving.

I am heading out this afternoon and camping out in the woods all weekend. Hopefully we all get some good deer movement.

Art
Old 10-28-2012, 06:32 AM
Fork Horn

I'm heading to land between the lakes here in kentucky for 7 days of bowhunting. Should be a good week of hunting iif the weather stays. I'll keep y'all posted. Good luck!
Old 10-29-2012, 06:09 AM
Spike

I saw a lot of deer moving over the weekend. On Friday I saw 12 deer including an 8 pointer who appeared to have an injury high on his back right above the spine. Looked like someone missed high. He had a slight limp with his hind legs but I couldn't get a shot on him.

On Friday I also seen a doe with a fawn. The fawn had an injured rear leg and was limping badly. I have never shot a fawn and couldn't bring myself to shoot this one even though a mercy killing may have been appropriate.

Saturday evening I had a mature buck come within 20 yards but it was 5 minutes after shooting light so I just watched him walk out of sight.

On Sunday saw 9 deer but no shooter bucks.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Made a rookie mistake on Saturday. Had a doe trot straight at the tree from cover after about a half hour in the stand. It didn't stop until it was about 20 yards behind the tree angled straight away and behind some light branches. I waited for her to turn while I was at full draw but she never did. She just walked away. As soon as I let down I heard something behind me (which was in front of my tree...) I turned to see two more does coming from the same place as the first, and they saw me turning. I tried getting a shot off at one that stopped about 15 yards to the right of my tree, but I wasn't positioned right. When I drew the bottom cam was hitting the arm of my climber and I couldn't shoot. She and her companion just walked back into the opening they came from. Saw them about an hour or so later but they never came out of cover. Probably worked out for the best though. If I nailed one it would have been hanging in a fridge that most likely lost power in the storm. I would have had to take time off to process it. Oh well.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:58 AM
Fork Horn

Man hope you managed to avoid the storm as much as possible Strut, any anybody else out there. Glad to hear you guys have been out there and seeing deer.

Got back from MT rifle trip Wednesday AM, never pulled the trigger but it was quite the experience. You literally would walk around in open country, muley's would look at you from standing/bedding and never run away. Friday we spent the day driving around and getting a tour of the areas we could hunt, and we saw more than 500 deer (mule deer and whitetails). Saturday first day of hunting saw probably 100, some far away but many in shooting distance. Mid-morning had a nice 4x4 bedded 280 yards away but was across the fence (as always!).

Ended up seeing at least 1 shooter 3 of the 4 days we were hunting, it was a lot of fun. My dad did end up shooting a 5x5 that actually appeared on the ridge i was hunting but was scared off by a rancher on an atv and ran right to him. So we didn't come home empty-handed.

Back here in WI the rut is probably about the best it will be right now. I was planning on hunting this weekend but the car has been in the shop on and off for 2 weeks and they still haven't fixed the problem. Yesterday they told me it was fixed and wanted to keep it until this morning to be sure, and you guessed it it's not fixed and I won't have it for the weekend so no hunting for me.

Next week/weekend I'm planning on getting out and then the following weekend 11/17 gun season starts.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got an 8 point tonight. Wont score much, maybe 100. I will get some pics tomorrow but wont be able to upload them until this weekend.

Good luck guys. The bucks are moving all day up here in Wisconsin.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:21 AM
Spike

Congrats on the buck. Looking forward to the pictures and the story.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:07 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats! I haven't seen many bucks lately but this weekend is looking pretty good. Hopefully I can put one down!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.