Community

Team #9 The Backstrap Aassassins

Old 11-01-2012, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

I've been able to get out much. Hopefully, I'll be able to hunt the next couple of days.

Seems like the chasing is about to begin around here.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

This morning I saw 2 doe and a small 7 pointer. This evening I went out. I was completely settled in my stand at 3:49pm. I had a yearling doe down by 3:59pm. I finally broke the ice this year. Tomorrow morning should be a great morning in the stand.
Attached Thumbnails Team #9 The Backstrap Aassassins-shawns-doe1.jpg   Team #9 The Backstrap Aassassins-shawnsdoe2.jpg   Team #9 The Backstrap Aassassins-shawnsd-doe3.jpg  

Last edited by ManofTheFall; 11-03-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:58 AM
j76
Typical Buck

Nice work Mano!!! Should be perfect weather this eve, i'll be headed out in an hour or so.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was out this morning and it was afairly good morning even though I didn't get anything. I had a nice doe come in at 7:15, but it was too dark to shoot her and legal shooting light wasn't until 7:28. Then at 7:20 another deer came in behind the doe. It was that giant I had been seeing the first two weeks of the season. The doe bolted when he closed to 14 yards of my stand and he was broadside but again it was just too dark to shoot. I think if that doe wouldn't have bolted out of there in about 10 more minutes I would have had a giant on the ground. Then, behind me I had two really nice shooter bucks chasing a group of three doe's about 30-40 yards behind my stand. If those doe's would have just came out past my stand I would have been in business. After that the next 3 hours were quiet and I got down. I won't be able to get back out until Monday morning.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:50 PM
j76
Typical Buck

Right at dark had a shooter buck, my first of the season just skirt wide of me.He was sooo borderline gettin one flung at him! If it was 10 min earlier i pry would have shot. Oh well, i needed that! Got me back into it. Gonna try it again tommorow nite.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am not a big fan of decoys, but tomorrow I will be taking out my Montana doe decoy and setting it up where these two shooter bucks I've been seeing has been running these does. I will be spraying her down with the special golden doe estrus and hopefully the big boys will make a bee line for her when I give a few bleats on the can call. If there is ever a time for a decoy, it is now.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I saw a small buck and a doe this morning and that was it. I will be going back out this afternoon.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

This evening I saw 2 small bucks. One was a 6 point and I think the other one was a 4 pointer. Hopefully tomorrow morning will be a little more exciting. There is a heavy freeze warning for the area so it should be nice and crunchy in the morning and I will be able to hear the big boys coming.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:02 PM
j76
Typical Buck

Good luck Mano!!! Put em down!
Old 11-06-2012, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I blew a chance at a real beast of a buck this morning. I have been saving my one stand for this week. I hit that stand this morning and it didn't disappoint but I blew it though. Just after legal shooting light I did a blind call with the can and hit the grunt tube a couple times. Immediately I heard movement behind me over my right shoulder. At first sight it looked like a 2 1/2 year old just inside his ears so I didn't get too excited. He then stepped into the clearing 15 yards behind my stand and I saw he was a true beast. His spread was only about 14" but his G 2's were about 12" long. His brow tines were like 8" and they angled in towards each other. I would estimate his bases were like 7"-8". This buck had some serious mass. He was a 10 pointer with a 3 inch kicker off his left G-2. He was broadside on my right side like 10 yards away with a wide open shot. This is where the problem began. I was strictly a crossbow hunter in the past. This tree is really set up pretty much for crossbow use. I even said to myself I should take my crossbow instead of my compound. I could not pull this shot off. I had to wait until he started walking again and draw on him. Then he angled to his right and walked away right behind a tree. I did have an opening at forty yards but I had to stand up. When I stood up there was a branch in my way and I still couldn't shoot. Eventually i had to just let him walk away. The one good thing about all this is he didn't spook at all. So, tomorrow morning I will be back out in the same stand with my good old Horton Legend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.