HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   2012 - 2013 Bowhunting Contest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2012-2013-bowhunting-contest-133/)
-   -   points for a doe (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2012-2013-bowhunting-contest/367568-points-doe.html)

henson59 07-15-2012 06:39 AM

points for a doe

Last year some people brought up the question about earning points for shooting a doe. I figured I would raise that question again.
I think it would be a good idea to give 50 points for a doe limit one doe per hunter. If a guy isn't able to take a buck at least he can help his team out if he gets a doe.
Last year not only on my team but others we had several bucks taken but alot of guys shot a doe. I just think it might make the contest more competitve then it already is.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with the current setup. I enjoy the current rules. I just think this might make it even better then it already is.

iayotehunter 07-15-2012 11:29 AM

I like the idea

Fieldmouse 07-15-2012 05:08 PM

No, I don't like the idea. It was raised the very first year of this contest and shot down then. This is a buck contest designed in such away to allow everyone to compete on the most even playing fields as possible. It's why you are required to score your first buck because in some places that's all you get a chance at due to the laws of the states.

In the end, you'll find most folks play the game and will pass on a buck that could have made a difference. A small buck turns out to be the average size that wins this contest. By allowing a doe, you lower it even more. My advice to you, shoot that first buck instead of holding out and you will do fine for your team.

Good luck!

henson59 07-16-2012 06:31 AM

Like I said, the current system is fine by me. I was just making a suggestion more as a conversation starter then anything. I figured guys would voice their opinions on changes they thought could/should be made to make the contest more interesting or maybe a rule that should be clarified.

Fieldmouse 07-16-2012 11:38 AM

No problem henson. I'm just trying to keep everyone informed on how this contest came to have the rules it does. Rob did and awesome job running this in the past. It was a lot of fun. I've chosen not to be in the contest this year and just run this if I get the go ahead. If not, it's will be organized for someone to step in and take over. The important part is that it will happening again this year.

buckfever8991 07-16-2012 08:16 PM

I like the doe idea as well, I live in a lucky state and can harvest two buck. However I'm not going to take a buck just to have a score in the contest and screw up my herd management. For people like me who are looking for fully mature deer that we may or may not get a shot at depending on everything that can happen with hunting, a doe score would be a good way to contribute to the team that we may be placed on, even if you raise/lower the score to not hurt the average buck size. I can see where you are coming from too and don't want to start a tiff, this is just my two cents on the subject. I'm grateful that someone is taking time to run something like this and give everyone a chance to compete and am looking forward to contributing to whatever team I may land on with a Pike County Illinois GIANT!!

Treebeard 07-17-2012 07:17 PM

I am a meat hunter so count me in on that if I don't eat it I don't hunt it!!!!

ManofTheFall 07-18-2012 09:19 PM

I like the doe idea but I think 50 points is way too many. If a doe is allowed it should only be 5 points. Heck if ten guys each shoot a doe, that's 500 points. Then on another team if 3 guys shoot 150" bucks and no doe's they lose to a team that only shot doe's. By giving only 5 points a team can only receive a max of 50 points which in most occasions won't even equal one buck. But, what it will do in a tight race it can help out a team that is managing a herd properly by also taking out doe's. Just an idea.

pjarrows 07-20-2012 02:21 AM

I would support 50pts for a doe also

youngfart 07-23-2012 04:04 PM

I support the doe for 50 points also. What this does is give teams with people that have low density buck counts on the property they hunt a better chance to contribute to their teams.This also helps the hunter whom doesn't have the chance to contribute to their team with a buck and also allows them to feel a part of the team. Just my 2 cents
Rocky