Team 4 Red Mist

Old 10-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

im guessin they recovered the arrow? and their was no sign on it?
nice video, may i suggest in the future you dont point out the flaws of the video?
why did all 3 of those does get out alive?
i woulda taken the 3rd doe fer sure, she was ripe in age, and i thought ya said yall were doin some doe mngmnt?
Old 10-06-2011, 01:48 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
im guessin they recovered the arrow? and their was no sign on it?
nice video, may i suggest in the future you dont point out the flaws of the video?
why did all 3 of those does get out alive?
i woulda taken the 3rd doe fer sure, she was ripe in age, and i thought ya said yall were doin some doe mngmnt?

Yeah, we got out of our stands and walked over to where they were at. The arrow had gone right over his back; clean miss.

As for the three does, we had contemplated taking the last one that came through (last one shown in video) but she was moving through really fast. The other does however got the early season pass because of the fawn. Two of them were mature does and we couldn't distinguish which one was the mother... If they come in with a fawn that has any distinguishable spots, the mother is given a pass.

As for the doe management, I have 3 other new hunters coming in to do that early season (gives them an opportunity to harvest their first deer; and saves me a tag for later in the season), if none of them score, we settle the doe ratio with the muzzleloader come the early season next week.

As for the flaws in the video, it was shoddy editing and nowhere near how our actual hunting experiences pan out, but we thought we would throw it up for comparison with our next video we have coming soon.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well guys, the lows felt good Saturday an Sunday morning but it sure did warm up in the evenings. I saw an 8 point about 15" wide the first morning an a forkhorn an 3 does. The buck was short on tine length.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

Hey PJarrows, I've Goose hunted up to Kirwin back in 2001 and 2002. You gotta try the Triple C diner. Their burgers are as big as frisbees! Good luck to you, and stay safe.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:34 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by luckyshot
Hey PJarrows, I've Goose hunted up to Kirwin back in 2001 and 2002. You gotta try the Triple C diner. Their burgers are as big as frisbees! Good luck to you, and stay safe.
thanks for the info I will look that place up.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

Bump...

Just a little update; went out this weekend, it was unusually hot again in Iowa. Mid to high 80's all weekend with a mean 15-30 mph wind out of the SSE. Saw a few does saturday and sunday really early and really late.

Yesterday we had a storm front move in and it dropped a little bit of rain, and cooled off into the 60's. Had a nice 10 pt with change hanging out at about 50 yards, probably would score in the 150's... I wasn't comfortable taking that far of a shot with the new broad heads I am using this year. I think I might have passed him up any way even if he gave a better shot; we have a monster roaming the woods that should score high 160's possibly 170's that I would love to give a dirt nap to.

How is everyone else faring early season?
Old 10-11-2011, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

We did also go out on this last Saturday, mainly for the youth gun hunt, the temps where in the low 80's and deer movrment was almost nil. The ggod news is they started to cut some of the corn around us and the temps are going to be more normal this weekend. Time will tell if we head out or not...
Old 10-14-2011, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

Looking forward to heading out tomorrow morning. It has been very slow this past week, full moon with wind and rain. Leaves are coming down hard though!
Good luck to everyone, it will only get better from here!
Early season muzzleloader starts tomorrow, it may get the deer up and moving. Can only hope, usually it only makes the hunting tougher!
Old 10-14-2011, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

grrrrr..hate bein a weekender, but the temps will be right in the mornin...did a lil scouting, not looking good...with our record breaker heat and no rain records, looks like its been even harder for the deer...bunch of thin, mismatched, crab claw havin racks...see what tomorrow holds.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:45 PM
Fork Horn

Well this morning was a bust. No deer, just high winds! Did get some time to do some scouting though.
Found good deer sign. I am going to make it out tonight, mowed gress and had to work in the barn today. Doesn't really bother me though, wind is still hallowing!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.