Community

Team 12 'The Bone Crushers'

Old 10-18-2011, 03:31 AM
Fork Horn

Took a doe Sunday night. Meat in the freezer, now I can be picky! Farmer's are begining to cut the standing corn around our section. Should make for a good next couple of weeks.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by wallhangr
Started off Sat am with some movement about 50 yds to my right, tickled the sheds a bit and a wide 8 pt showed himself but did not present a shot. Nothing Sat night.

Then this morning I was set up in an oak flat on a rub line. About 8am saw something to my left. Didn't think he was much until he put his head down and turned in my direction. He came straight down the path that would put him 20 yds in front of me. He stopped right behind 2 trees just before my window and I drew back - and held forever. Finally let down and waited for him to move again. He stepped into my window, I grunted, put the pin behind his shoulder and squeezed the release. Unfortunatley I did not move my leg far enough to the left and the cam caught my leg and the bow climbed up and the arrow sailed well over the buck probably to the next ridge. The 10 pointer jumped a couple yards, looked around and headed on down the trail.

I had to be seated for the shot, otherwise I didn't have a window. I had been resting the bow on my leg while I was drawn for so long and knew that I had moved it off before I took the shot, just not far enough. Would have been the biggest deer I've taken with either a bow or rifle. I sat there in disbelief for about half an hour, then shook it off. I've got 5 days off right after Halloween....
Been out of pocket for a while. Man, that's tough brother. Sorry it didn't work out. As for me, I've been hunting hard but haven't even seen a buck yet. For now they are still either moving at night or just on the days that I'm not out there. I did manage to get a doe weekend before last, but like I said - I haven't seen a single buck during daylight hours. This is by far my worst year ever... so far. It'll get better.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DowningAir
Took a doe Sunday night. Meat in the freezer, now I can be picky! Farmer's are begining to cut the standing corn around our section. Should make for a good next couple of weeks.
Congratulations on the doe! I got one on the 8th. It was my first ever shot at a deer while sitting. It felt weird as I always shoot standing up.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:04 PM
Fork Horn

Shot at the buck i posted in the trail camera picture a while ago. 40 yards, hit a branch. Didn't seem like he was to spooked though. Maybe if i get lucky i can get another chance tomorrow. Although that doesn't happen to often up here.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:08 PM
Spike

Nice job on the doe Downing! It has been rough so far this year. No luck on my trip to Western Ks. Didn't see any shooters and the does we were after were in open new wheat fields, making a stalk impossible. Hunting all on public land in Eastern Ks and the deer have been run around pretty hard this month. Have only seen a couple does so far. Going to hang a set and scout an new area tomorrow. Hopefully this cold snap will get deer moving. Good luck to you guys this week!
Old 10-28-2011, 11:43 AM
Spike

On a side note, I've been seeing some of the 2011 bows coming out. Anybody else see anything they like? Anybody upgrading this year?
Old 10-30-2011, 07:04 PM
Fork Horn

Flying out next Tuesday for Wisconsin. Hunting for 6 straight days. Have re-watched 30 bow hunting DVD's and having trouble sleeping.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know what you mean. I'm leaving after work tomorrow for the rest of the week. I've already started waking up around 4 am wondering which way the wind is blowing!
One of my co-workers was talking to a guy that owns a deer farm in NE Missouri - his first doe went into estrous this past weekend!!!
Old 10-31-2011, 01:19 PM
Typical Buck

Passed up a young buck Saturday. Didn't have a three yard pin to make sure of the shot.

Was hunting btbowhunter's lease in Brown County. He had to head home to PA on Thursday when his father passed away. Those services are today. If you think about it, say a prayer for Bob's loss.

Bob asked me to kill a buck in his father's memory, but I just couldn't take the youngster. Not big enough for Bob's management plan.

Another guy in camp talked of seeing bucks chasing some does. He was seeing shooter bucks every day.

Bob will be back in IL on Wednesday night and I hope to hook up with him next weekend.

GOOD LUCK BOYS!
Old 11-06-2011, 10:55 AM
Fork Horn

Had an enjoyable weekend in the stand. A lot of younger bucks moving around which made for some entertainment.

Was able to rattle in a little 8 from across the field Saturday morning. He headed right under my stand from about 200 yrds out. Drew back but decided not to. He'll be a nice buck in a year or two. Was exciting to get that kind of response though.

Be back out ALL next weekend to try before gun season. Good luck to everyone out there and be safe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.