Community

Team 12 'The Bone Crushers'

Old 10-05-2011, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Heading out again for a couple days of hunting. The weather looks to be a little warm, but I'll still be out mornings and the last few hours of light. Hope to have good news when I get back!
Old 10-06-2011, 02:48 PM
Fork Horn

I guess we decided on the Bone Crushers. Still waiting for the 15th. So close i can taste it!
Old 10-08-2011, 06:56 PM
Spike

Went out tonight. Saw about 8 doe and 2 small bucks. Very stalk-able, but were on land I didn't have permission to hunt yet. The special gun season in the unit I live in just started and runs until the 16th, so I'm headed back home to western Kansas, (around Colby and Atwood) to hunt mule deer. Flat grassland, great people, and freaks for deer! I get to climb down from the stand and do the ol' mohican sneakin for a few days. I've got a total of 1 buck tag, 3 doe tag, and a turkey tag. I intend to start a shankin' session in short order!
Old 10-10-2011, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Had a close encounter Thursday night, just as the last light was going away. I could barely see my first pin, so was reaching for my quiver when one stepped out at 30 yards. Right next to a tree I had ranged so I knew the distance. I could see a perfect outline of his body, but not his rack. He stood there forever, turning his head one way, then the other but I could not get a good view of his headgear. Finally he went on down the trail none the wiser. Knowing that we have some big deer (and a 4-pt a side restriction) I just did not want to take the shot.

Heading back up there Friday night, and I've got another tree just a little closer to that trail picked out....
Old 10-10-2011, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

Lets get one on the ground boys! Ive got some good pictures of a monster around my stand. Just hung another and put up a ground blind. All ready for Saturday opener!
Old 10-14-2011, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lull or no lull, I'm heading out for the weekend. Got a good wind for multiple stands and somethings going to be hanging by Sunday!

Good luck guys!
Old 10-15-2011, 06:29 AM
Fork Horn

Didn't see a thing this morning. Going out again tonight in the blind.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:51 AM
Typical Buck

Sat night report of Pike County hunt:

1 six pointer
1 button buck with about 3" buttons
1 four or six pointer
10 mixed does and fawns

Had four of these inside 20 yards. It was fun-

Hope to go back tonight.

Good luck all!
Old 10-16-2011, 11:08 AM
Spike

have been out the past 3 weekends. seen a bunch of doe/fawn, and small bucks, hopefully some of the big guys start showing up soon!
Old 10-16-2011, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Started off Sat am with some movement about 50 yds to my right, tickled the sheds a bit and a wide 8 pt showed himself but did not present a shot. Nothing Sat night.

Then this morning I was set up in an oak flat on a rub line. About 8am saw something to my left. Didn't think he was much until he put his head down and turned in my direction. He came straight down the path that would put him 20 yds in front of me. He stopped right behind 2 trees just before my window and I drew back - and held forever. Finally let down and waited for him to move again. He stepped into my window, I grunted, put the pin behind his shoulder and squeezed the release. Unfortunatley I did not move my leg far enough to the left and the cam caught my leg and the bow climbed up and the arrow sailed well over the buck probably to the next ridge. The 10 pointer jumped a couple yards, looked around and headed on down the trail.

I had to be seated for the shot, otherwise I didn't have a window. I had been resting the bow on my leg while I was drawn for so long and knew that I had moved it off before I took the shot, just not far enough. Would have been the biggest deer I've taken with either a bow or rifle. I sat there in disbelief for about half an hour, then shook it off. I've got 5 days off right after Halloween....

Last edited by wallhangr; 10-17-2011 at 01:11 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.