Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2011-2012 Bowhunting Contest
Official Team - BUCK U - Thread (team 3) >

Official Team - BUCK U - Thread (team 3)

Official Team - BUCK U - Thread (team 3)

Old 11-21-2011, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Guys-
Seems like everyone's doing great! Some real nice deer hitting the ground.... I'll be back out again this weekend but am still holding out for a big boy. The pic below is a buck we call Deep Forks. We've held out for him for a few years and My twin brother (in the picture) shot him with a rifle last week. I had a chance at him with my bow 2 weeks before but didn't sneak him as we were afraid we might push him off our property. Gross scored in the mid 170's or so.

Good luck to everyone still going strong
Old 11-21-2011, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

Deep Forks- (SticknStringer's deer)
Attached Thumbnails Official Team - BUCK U - Thread (team 3)-deep-forks.jpg  
Old 11-21-2011, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mj469
Deep Forks- (SticknStringer's deer)
Great looking buck for sure! Can see why you didn't want to bump him!
Old 11-22-2011, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

That is a dandy. Im headed home for the holidays and the rifle season comes in next Monday so I'll be sticking around for that all week. We have a family farm thats about 200 acres. A few years ago we turned the old milk house into a butcher shop, beer drinking/ food frying spot. Its going to be a good week no matter what hits the ground. Happy Thanksgiving everyone
Old 11-22-2011, 12:48 PM
Fork Horn

Birddog , You have had awesome action. Is has to be a perfect situation when hunting with primitive weapons.
Nice job on the buck.
I have been MIA for a few, I was out last weekend for the Illinois 3 day gun opener. The rut kind of slowed down, no chasing.
Saw plenty of deer, but no large ones.
My buddy did take a nice 130” 8 pt. with a hand gun….open sights 35 yds
He missed it with his bow one week earlier.
Good luck to everyone and have a great Thanksgiving break.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hope everyone has an awesome Thanksgiving!!! I cannot wait to get back out there when season swings back around!!
Old 11-24-2011, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

Checking in to make sure everyone ate enough on turkey day. If you didn't I ate your share no worries.

First things first. I took the girlfriend out a couple of days ago and we got into the stand late. She wasn't feeling well so we got in about 1030. I hit the grunt call a couple of times and could see a deer coming to use from down the hedgerow. I could tell he was a buck not how big at that point. Well he hops the fence and when he stepped out fellas I almost **** myself. This was was a 200" monster that I had never laid eyes on before that moment. He was bristled up and coming right at us. I couldn't believe it guys. I really couldn't. First I had sat in this stand everyday all day for 8 days in a row and never seen this deer and second we had been in the stand for 10 minutes.

So she's ready to hammer this bastard and he is still walking right to us on a string. He turns at about 25 yards out and starts to rub on an evergreen. He then turns to hit another set of rubs about 10 yards to our right. I range him at 28 yards. She's good out to 40 so I figure it's over. She draws back and is following him over to the second set of rubs which is 30 yards from us. She plans to hammer him when he stops there. She's swinging with him and her back elbow hits the tree behind her and causes her to hit her release and she sends an arrow right off his ass that just hits about 6 inches behind him. He keeps right on walking and I can't get him to stop. He walks right back into the hedgerow from where he appeared, hops the fence and walks right back south from where he came. She was sick. Me too. This was one of those deer that you just see once in your life if you're lucky. He had three brows on his right side all over 8 inches. Split brows on his left over 10 inches apiece and 25 inch main beams guys. He looked like one of those deer farm fake freaks. I can still see him in my minds eye.

So here's the funny part (to me). She's so upset she wants to go home. I tell her they are cruising and she will get another chance. Well low and behold here comes her second chance. Its a 160" ten that we have seen before on pics. She wasn't interested in shooting a "small deer" after seeing the swamp monster. We sat until about 130 and she wanted to hit another spot. We haven't been back in there for about 4 days now and that area is just a crazy good funnel. We'll be back after it in the morning.

On another note I had an OK tag so I got to slip down and hunt a buddys farm yesterday. It's an absolute honey hole that is loaded. I saw several bucks and right before dark I had a stud roll in with a big group of does. I was sitting between two cornfields and needed his hot doe to bring him by because nothing I was doing was working. Well just as I got that thought out of my brain here she comes and she motors right by with ole split G2's in hot pursuit. I stopped him at 19 yards and shot him right in the heart. Scores just over 140". Nice big bodied deer. I had a great season. I may get to hunt MO yet this season. It's been great. Stay after em. We have a great chance in this contest.

Here he is. Double split G2's with one broke off or he would have scored closer to 145".

Old 11-24-2011, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow - heck of a buck BB!! He's a stud for sure!! I love split tines like that!

I'm going to be doing a little hunting myself this weekend... Getting my Ross Cardiac all loaded up to use - kinda excited actually... The last couple of years I've considered it my backup bow and was using my BT Captain as my primary... Just wanted a change of pace - ha ha. I've been shooting it (as it's my backup bow) periodically. So grabbed it out of the case and giving it a once over tonight... Also got a couple of slick tricks that I've been messing around with but haven't actually hunted with them yet - I'm going to use them too (normally use 3 blade 100gr Muzzys)... Again - just looking to switch it up and try and fill my last tag.

Hope everyone had a great Turkey day! Happy hunting to all those going out this weekend!
Old 11-29-2011, 09:50 AM
Fork Horn

Birddog, you've had an awesome season!! Congratulations on your two fine bucks. I couldn't imagine the party you would have had if the GF would have shot the monster. Hopefully she will back down and start to shoot at those little 160's.
MJ, tell your brother congrats on nailing Deep Forks. I bet he was thrilled to put him on the ground. Your turn is next!
If anyone is interested, I posted an updated avatar in post #199. Probably should have left some room for "2010-2011 CHAMPIONS"
I'm planning on hunting this Saturday and Sunday. Forecast shows rain and snow. Not sure if I'm ready to get soaked in a bone-chilling rain just yet. I'm hearing word of a 14 pointer that's cruising a hedgerow on public grounds about a half mile from the RV park where we stay. I'm giving serious thought of bringing my climber or my Muddy and parking my skinny *ss there for a couple of hunts. I'm estimating the second estrous cycle should kick in on Sunday, just in time for the snow.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:51 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks KCMO. She sat this morning had a nice big tall 8 chase a doe by her at 80 yards. I think she has calmed down a bit and realized she should have shot the second deer. I called her in a nice 145" 8 on Saturday morning in the ****ty rain and she just couldn't get drawn back on him. He was a nice deer. We saw a helluva big bodied deer that had a nice left side with 5 good tines and his right antler was busted off about 4" above his head. He was a stud. He just needed another antler. He milled around at 20 yards for about 10 minutes before he moved off.

KCMO I think you're right on the second cycle. I just hope the rifle hunters in Kansas don't do a number on them this week. It opens tomorrow. She'll be back out Saturday morning.

Why has Jimmy's buck been scored yet? Just curious. Good luck man. Whack a biggun. You're due and we could use the dagger in the heart of this competition. Go kill a monster.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.