Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2011-2012 Bowhunting Contest
Official Team - BUCK U - Thread (team 3) >

Official Team - BUCK U - Thread (team 3)

Official Team - BUCK U - Thread (team 3)

Old 10-31-2011, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

Good job wacker, congrats. I hunted last weekend, had a 100" 2 1/2 year old 21 yds.
He was given a free pass. The rut is just starting...its going to get real good.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome buck Whacker!!!

Things are starting to pick up... I'm about 10 days out from when I leave for my week of IA hunting - my palms get sweaty just thinking about it - ha ha....

Just hunting around here until then...
Old 11-03-2011, 04:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Way to go guys on the awesome deer. I am hoping to get out again tonight and see what I cannot get.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:40 PM
Spike

Hey guys, sorry its taken me so long to get back on here but I finally got his score back from my taxidermist. But first the story...lol. I shot him on a sunday night about 20 mins before last light. He came through a funnel headed towards a field when i hit my grunt tube to pull him closer, as he was about 50 yards away. To my surprise it actually worked and he came within 30 yards giving me a perfect broadside shot. So after letting the arrow fly i hear a hollow thump. I thought damn!! I hit a branch! Also, the deer didn't react as it was shot. He just trotted off as if he was spooked. So i sat in the tree for about half hour and watched it get dark while cursing myself for missing. I climbed down and went to the area where i shot at him to look for my arrow and/or blood, not surprised to find neither. So I gathered my bow and headed back towards the truck. It was pitch black as I crossed the field, and my headlamp caught a glimpse of a deer laying about 50 yards in front of me. As I walked closer, I realized it was th buck I shot at! I came within ten yards, in disbelief that I actually shot him, when he popped up scaring the hell outta me and darting off into the woods. Once again i thought man, I really did miss. So i walked over to the spot he was laying, and saw what I had hoped for, a big pool of blood! Excited, I somehow managed to talk myself into letting him go for the night and track him in the morning. Fast forward to 7 a.m. and about 50 yards into the woods, and I find the resilient deer awaiting my arrival. Then i realized the hollow sound was my broadhead piercing through his front shoulder hitting the lung and coming right out the other side. My biggest buck to date and what a roller coaster of emotions. So because he had been dead for almost 10 hours and the temps had stayed in the 50's i immediately took him to the processor/taxidermist. I have never scored a deer so i called him to do it for me and he said it grossed 133 and netted 126 1/2.

Last edited by Jimmyt; 11-04-2011 at 07:20 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:50 AM
Fork Horn

Good story jimmy! Nets are for fishing! I have a couple big ones spotted so I'm after em in the morning.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:24 PM
Fork Horn

Okay, Betterbird, go get'em.
Time to hit the woods guys!! Hope most of you can make it out this weekend and make me proud. Remember, don't be pressured to hunt a large rack just for the cause of this tournament. Hunt and shoot for what will satisfy you. I guarantee, if we all shoot 90 point racks, we would still win the contest. So go out, have fun, and try to learn something this time that you can apply to your next hunt.
I'm fix'n to head out with my youngest son and some friends for the youth firearms season this weekend. I'll let him hunt as long as he wants and then I'll take him home and I'll then hop into the trees. Last year he punched a ticket 37 minutes into the legal day. With his short attention that was a perfect hunt. It made his day and I was very proud of him.
Have a great weekend all...........
Old 11-07-2011, 05:44 AM
Fork Horn

Here's a follow-up to my weekend of hunting:
NOTHING!
My son only wanted to hunt the morning and he saw a doe and a spike and several turkey. The pattern was nothing like it was the week prior.
On Sunday (just hunted til noon) I saw a total of 6 deer (all doe or button bucks) and at least 4 coyote. How do you get rid of those things? Never saw them last year. Did not see any chasing.
I'll take off work on Thurs and Fri to see if things change before our regular firearms season opens on Saturday.
Hope you guys have had better luck.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Any updates?? Deer movement seems to have really picked up... Unfortunately for me, I've got work obligations through Thursday... But then it's a full week of hunting!!
Old 11-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Fork Horn

I connected yesterday morning.
A 2 ½ year old 9 pt. He was on a trail of a doe at 23 yds.
Saw some chasing but no mature ones.
I’ll post some pics and put a tape on the rack tonight.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:45 PM
Fork Horn

Awesome Bob. That's sweet lets see some pics brother.

My weekend went like this. Windy and warm.

Saturday morning saw several small bucks and a couple working does that weren't interested at all. Went back to the same stand saturday night and right at dark here he comes. He came in behind me and all I could see was his huge horns. He was about 15 yards behind but I have absolutely no shot behind me. He thrashed every tree in site for about an hour and then headed south like I thought he would to work his scrape line. I crawled down and got out of there quick.

Sunday morning saw some small bucks again.

Sunday night switched spots to a large track of land close to the house. I snuck in to a spot where I knew I could see a big deer. Problem is he saw me first and left when I was headed in. Sh!t. Climbed up anyway and saw two smaller bucks. One was a nice 8 that most people would shoot but I know what's on that place. I have two more days team and then I'm off until. the 21st. I WILL kill a biggun during that time frame. I know they are lurking. I put some cams out this weekend on some scrapes so I'm looking forward to checking them.

KCMO be in your best stand Thursday morning bud. It's gonna cold and still and the bigguns will be lurking about!

Keep the killing up guys. Do we have 3 on the board now?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.