Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2011-2012 Bowhunting Contest
"Team All-In" Team 11 Check In Thread >

"Team All-In" Team 11 Check In Thread

"Team All-In" Team 11 Check In Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 05:42 AM
Fork Horn

Make sure you post some good Elk pictures. I have always wanted to go Elk hunting and I just love hearing about it and seeing pictures.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, guess what happened to me Friday evening. I sat for 2 1/2 hours and nothing. It hit 7:00pm and I said it's time to get down. Then the fun began. I hear crunching to my left, crunching out in front of me. Legal shooting light is 7:07. I said to myself you better hurry and come to me. The crunching out in front of me I never seen. The crunching to my left was a different story. I watched and I finally seen the deer after about three minutes. So, it is now 7:03. I have 4 minutes left. The deer starts to come up the hill but he is angling towards me. He finally gets to a point where I can see his rack. This buck made my 144" buck look small. He kept angling towards me but was going to end up going behind me. He stops about 15 yards directly behind me. He stood there for like 15 minutes. The he trotted back the way he came for about 15 yards. I could not get down because I did not want to spook this buck from this area. We still have three more buck tags (wife, son, daughter) and I definitely do not want to blow this buck out of the area. He starts to walk off and I wait to get down until I can't hear him anymore. I finally get down like at 7:30. After I let my bow down and I climb down out of the stand I thought everything was cool. As I was unhooking my bow from the string I hear this deer blow at me. I think it was the buck but I'm not sure. It could have been another deer that was coming out of the bedding area. This stand sits just outside of probably the largest bedding area and most secluded bedding on our property. I just really hope I did not spook that buck. I am placing a no go on our 2 stands on this bedding area for about a week. I know a big mature buck will usually tolerate one time being spooked and after that if it happens again he will more than likely avoid the area for quite awhile. So probably towards the end of this coming week we will be getting back in there. If something similar to this happens again everyone knows to stay in the stand longer to try and avoid this. This is one thing I hate about evening hunts. Any of you guys ever experience things like this?

Last edited by ManofTheFall; 10-22-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:17 PM
Fork Horn

Yea i have had that happen before as long as he didn't see u climbing outta the tree i wouldnt be scared to go backing there the next day. All he knows is u was a funny looking coyote. But if he did see u climbing down the stand i would move it 20 or 30 yards in any direction
Old 10-23-2011, 07:30 AM
Fork Horn

Well I was able to get out and hunt last night. I was in stand by 3pm and it was dead until about 5pm. Out in the worked corn field a small buck apeared from the timber that borders one side of the field and worked his way toward me in the tree line I was sitting in. As he got closer I could see he was a small 6 Pointer. I decided not to shoot him but as he was hanging out under my stand another small 4 point popped out of the timber and these two baby bucks just hung out whithin 15 yards of my stand for about 30 minutes. They even sparred in front of me for a couple minutes.
So I wouldn't be tempted to shoot the 6 I didn't even pick up my bow. It was pretty fun to watch them. I just wish Dad would come out and play instead of the boys!
Here are a couple pictures of the baby 6 pointer.
Attached Thumbnails "Team All-In" Team 11 Check In Thread-6pointa.jpg   "Team All-In" Team 11 Check In Thread-6pointb.jpg  
Old 10-23-2011, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, Saturday morning I had a 5 pointer messing around my stand for quite a while. I will now be going out again Monday evening. I will be trying to get another doe. I will be sitting in the stand I call my doe killing stand. It will be after another rainy day so if it stops raining when it is suppose to I'm sure I will be successful again. My last night of work is Monday night. Then I will be off for 3 straight weeks. I can't wit. It will be a great 3 weeks in the woods!!!!! Good luck to everyone else going out. Shoot a big one for the team!!!!!
Old 10-24-2011, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just talked with the landowner of one of the properties I hunt on. He told me about this monster buck he has been seeing every morning and evening. There is a low spot in his front yard about 80 yards away from his house. He said alot of does cross through this low spot both in the mornings and evenings. He said he has seen this buck hanging out in this low spot like 5 days straight now. I will be putting up a stand in this spot tomorrow and hopefully my wife or one of my kids will be able to nail this big boy. At the least it will be a great doe killing stand.

Last edited by ManofTheFall; 10-24-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some photos from this past weekend.

Right out of the shoot on Saturday morning, three of us walked up on a nice 5x5 and 6x6 mule deer. Sadly, none of us had deer tags. Then this little fella graced us for several minutes. We were hunting above treeline (about 12,700 feet in elevation). Up there, you feel like you are on top of the world, at least I do.

Ten minutes later, young Tom Hill dropped his first elk. It's a bull calve but counts as an anterless elk. Tom picked this one out of a herd of 20 (three bulls and 17 cows). It was so cool. I stopped the herd with a sharp loud whistle. The three bulls were buried among cows (no shots whatsoever). The herd bull spent three minutes bulging back to me. When Tom had a solo animal without others behind it, he dropped the hammer. Check out the world below in the background. We spent most of the day packing meat back to the truck...

We saw a lot of ptarmigan while walking about, what a cool bird.

On Sunday, our first sit was a bust. I took Steel Sullivan and Michele Marks to a spot that either holds elk or not. When they are there, the hunting is good...you usually get a 500 yard or closer shot from a mere 13,500 feet above sea level. We moved back down below treeline for the afternoon hunt. Kudos go out to Michele. As a cancer survivor, she passed her hunter education exam with a perfect 100%. She wants to learn the art of hunting, I'm obliged to teach her. She hung with Steel and I for the entire weekend as an observer. Next year, She'll have her own elk tag! I look forward to the day I can help her call the shot.

Michele, Steel, and I cut a fresh set of tracks around 2:00pm (there was about an inch of old snow on the north side of the mountain). We followed the five elk back up the mountain towards timberline-about a half mile. It was obivious a bull was among the mix. At 4:00pm, the three of us landed this young bull, we caught out feeding above the trees.

With additional help, we had the meat stored back at camp by 8:00pm.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:13 AM
Fork Horn

Thats just awesome.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:26 AM
Fork Horn

It's game time boys & girls! Team 13 just put up a really nice 170 buck to take the lead from us. I hope we can respond with a few more nice ones of our own.

I have noticed that some of our team really hasn't posted since they checked in. I hope they are still in this thing! If you quiet teamates read this let us know how your season is going.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

Well the good news is, Ill be hunting alot more this season, the bad news is I lost my job haha, Amazing how hard you work for people and they throw you away for no reason, gotta love corprate. Been hunting every morning and havent seen anything, prolly goin out to the 100acre lease next week for at least a week. Huntings free, and I need to save $ and fill the freezer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.