GR8 VIII's Official Team Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 04:26 AM
Typical Buck

G8-VIII's or G8-8's would work, but still time to work on names.

I've been busy planting food plots on my farm and on the local Navy Base, so my scouting has been minimal save checking out trail cams. Irene dumped 4+" of needed rain on the plots, no erosion-fortunately, and the plots will be looking good this fall.

I've been getting some pics of nice bucks on the trail cams, but mostly at night. I'll post some pics in the near future. No lack of deer here in So MD - the State limit is 36 deer for the bow-ML-shotgun seasons. I don't gun hunt for deer, but I'll be taking the bow out for all seasons.

-fsh
Old 08-30-2011, 06:45 AM
Fork Horn

Nice thats not too far from me. I'm here at lima going to the University of Northwestern Ohio. Right now i'm taking tech classes in there ag and diesel program, but I plan on staying a little longer and getting a degree in agribusiness. So far I've been here a year so i'm still trying to meet people in the area to gain more access to hunting ground. I found a 100 acre woods that they do a lottery draw on that i'm planning on putting my name in for next year. Other than that I found 2 small places to hunt here both are surrounded by corn. At home in Indiana I live on a Purdue University crop research farm with about 100 acres of woods to choose from.

Last edited by Brent B; 08-30-2011 at 06:49 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll be putting my trail cam out on the farmland I'm hunting today. Always seen lots of deer in the fields so I think I got a pretty good chance.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mottz
Looks like this team is getting ready to go. Only waiting on 2 guys. Thats not bad. Hope they show up soon. Have a few things to say here. 1st, Brent since you started this thread I'm going to vote you as Captain. You've been doing great so far and I'd like to see you continue!

2nd, I think everyone should start throwing some names out there. Only one I can think of so far is The Great Eights. Since we are team 8. Give me time though, I'm usually pretty crafty when it comes to names.

3rd, and I'm sure kelly will back me on this is no matter whats going on through the season, lets keep the team chatter goin. Even if its about nothing. Getting to know a little bit about each other is what this is all about. During the spring turkey contest I was with kelly and we were constantly talking and our thread blew everyone away with replies. It made it alot of fun keeping our name at the top.

And 4th, everyone have a SAFE year!! And have fun out there and don't be afraid to share your hunting successes and even your disappointing hunts.
x's 2.....especially about the being safe and having fun!!

If it wasn't for the chat and comradery during the turkey contest there is no way I would have pushed myself as hard as I did to get that silly little bird..lol But man it was alot of fun
Old 08-30-2011, 08:57 PM
Typical Buck

fshafly2, is that your wirehaired dachshund? I had one, but i had to give him to a friend due to some marital struggles we were having about him and the kids, shoes, and his excitable tinkling problem. He was a great dog and I had fun training him. He found a gutshot deer for a friend last year. We'll see how he does this year. Tell me about yours...if the profile pic is your dog....
Old 08-31-2011, 02:32 AM
Typical Buck

Arjuna
Yes, Ruby is my wirehair dachshund, my "second" love. I know about the excited p'ng, and fortunately Ruby grew out of it - she'll be turning 3yrs this Dec. She came from a long line of deer trackers, and easily passed her UBT-1 test (United Blood Trackers) last summer. Ruby recovered 14/28 deer last fall, but a few of those were "confidence builders". She can be a great tracker at times - one trail was 1.2 miles and a few others were near 1000yds. The only grief last year was she would sometimes want to follow a non-wounded deer in the group instead of the wounded deer, go figure (a training issue). She's shown more maturity in her training tracks this summer, so I have my hopes.

-fsh

Here's a buck she recovered last year after the original search had been abandoned:
Old 08-31-2011, 05:39 AM
Fork Horn

I sent pm's to both of the fellas that havent checked in yet hopefully they show up soon.

I need to get me a dog like that. I don't think my english walker hound is that smart lol.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default Guess I better move my camera!.......I think?

Old 08-31-2011, 06:05 AM
Fork Horn

http://youtu.be/yJgqDccoQp4

There's my boy barking at an empty live trap.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Robow45
I think I'd put up a few more in that orchard.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.