Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2011-2012 Bowhunting Contest
Team 13 check in thread "Natural Bone Killers" >

Team 13 check in thread "Natural Bone Killers"

Community

Team 13 check in thread "Natural Bone Killers"

Old 09-26-2011, 08:14 AM
Spike

Season starts Saturday for me. Ill for sure be in the stand all weekend. Im chasin a couple of pretty good sized bucks, hopfully one will get within range. Im also tryin something new this year, my fiancee wants to try and hunt. So im taking her out Saturday evening. I have a feeling she'll end up killing a bigger one than me, but we'll just have to wait and see.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck Bud, lets pile up the points!
Old 09-27-2011, 05:52 AM
Fork Horn

This is a question I would normally ask in another place to get a wide range of opinions but I want to ask my teammates. I bought a carry lite buck/doe decoy a couple years ago. I used it a few times before with no sucess. read plenty about how to set it up and so on. I am almost afraid to use because I am afraid it could scare more than it attracts. I live in NW missouri near Iowa. Our rut is usually around the begining of November. Do you guys use one, how and when. Let me know what you found to work and what does not work. I appriciate the insight.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:45 AM
Fork Horn

I've use decoys on and off over the years and have only drawn in 1.5 year old bucks and fawns. Does seem to become alarmed with the "intruder". Had one 6 pointer come in three times over 2 hours and kept knocking the decoy down. I'd climb down to set it back up and 30 minutes later the buck was back approaching from the rear. Made for an entertaining afternoon sit.

I'm going to focus my decoy aided hunting during the "pre chase" phase this year instead of the rut as once the rut kicks in the shooters are cruising with their noses to the ground and only the young bucks seem to be effected by the decoy.

Good luck. I'm heading out for the first time this weekend with the intent of restocking the freezer with a nice doe or two.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have only used a decoy 1 time, and had no success. It was one of those cardboard decoys. I used the the buck. It was right around November 1st. I did have a couple of does come in and check it out, but no bucks.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like any other hunting tool it will always be hit or miss, for the most part th extra effort decoys take to carry and use in the field they probably aren't worth it unless you have the perfect setup and your stand might not be set up on a travel corridor. Your best bet is always a grunt tube, that will always be the best tool in the bag hands down
Old 09-28-2011, 08:41 AM
Spike

Ive used a decoy for a couple of years, normally right before the peak of the rut. From my experience, Ive had alot of younger bucks come within shooting range because of it. I havnt had a shooter buck come into it yet. The does that ive seen around my decoy seem to be afraid of it and tend to stay away. It definetely keeps me unseen from the deer though
Old 09-28-2011, 08:54 AM
Spike

hey guys been out of town for work just got back with internet. ive heard i have been put on your team. I am chkn in if i am still on the team. I hunt in wisconsin got some nice ones on the wall and hope to contribute this year for the contest. if i have been removed from team let me know otherwise good luck to all.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by jddeadeye
hey guys been out of town for work just got back with internet. ive heard i have been put on your team. I am chkn in if i am still on the team. I hunt in wisconsin got some nice ones on the wall and hope to contribute this year for the contest. if i have been removed from team let me know otherwise good luck to all.

Sorry jddeadeye, but when we didnt hear from you, they replaced yiou with another alternate.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:38 AM
Spike

no problem i completely understand. hope ya all shoot a good one. good luck and have a safe season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.