Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2010 Turkey Contests
Need your Input - here is your chance >

Need your Input - here is your chance

Community

Need your Input - here is your chance

Old 06-04-2010, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

A con for me is allowing people to take as many birds as possible and enter ALL of them (for the all birds portion of the contest) It just seems a bit unfair for those of us that can only get to one state and may only be able to take one or two birds. Now, I'm not asking you to get rid of the whole concept, but instead of allowing one person to carry the entire team with something ridiculous like 6 birds by one person, why not count just the BEST 3? To me that seems more fair. Even three is a crapload of birds, and it keeps things even throughout the field if one team has a guy who can spend the season just going out and smashing all kinds of birds.

Just an opinion... your thoughts?
Old 06-04-2010, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

PERFECT. I dont know if this was mentioned or not, but to rid yourselves of many problems for the turkey contest, have DUAL signups. Run sign-ups once a bit earlier than usual, get a list of guys. Then, after the conclusion of the first signup period, open another signup sheet, almost like a part 1 and part 2, but each contestent would need to signup in BOTH. A person would have to signup for one list, then return three to four weeks later to signup again. The flyby guys will never remember or find time to do this, therefor relieving some of the noshows.

Then you could run the lists in excel or something like that and only the guys signed up for both would be in the contest.

Obviously, this will require more work for you, and more time for the signees, but it will definitely leave out many of the noshows. Also, this would help alleviate some of the problems because guys that come in one day and see the signup, sign it, then leave the site never to return, would not be on both lists.

Again, what are your thoughts JW?
Old 06-04-2010, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

One of the big problems I run into while updating the current sign up list is, the copying and pasting of the sign up sheet. A lot of times two will sign up at the same time. One will copy and paste the list while the other signs up normal, like their suppose to do. Well the one who signs up normal generally gets his post in first and the one copying and pasting will paste the list and that has already made the list wrong and out of the order. I know some of you have seen me post in bold letters do not copy the list and post it.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:52 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Fingerz

That is why the best Bird per person on any given team is used as the top score for deciding the team event. Yes some only hunt one or if lucky another state while others hunt quite a few.

Reasoning
Why punish the single state hunter as you stated
Why punish the multiple state hunter

So take the best bird and only one bird per a team hunter for the Best Bird Per Hunter Score.

Now there is a second category of all birds taken.

Such as my team - WEa re in 2nd or 3rd place in Best Bird - are out by 40 points of one big Jake.

But we have registered 23 -

Still the Top Butterball category is Best (1) Bird Per HUnter which decides which Team will be 2010 Champs.

Last Yr that Team was allowed to stay together - That decison is still in Committee to see if it will be used this yr.

Hey guys thanks for your replies - we do this for you.

New this yr I will post the Team Roster and whod did what on each team thread.

I will also post my overal spreadsheet and it is huge!

Not as big as last yr but still - big

JW
Old 06-05-2010, 05:12 AM
Dominant Buck

A million dollar first prize to split for the team would go along way.

Thank you for the sticker. Got ours last week or two.

I'll be honest with you, the problems you mention with people signing up, checking in and then not participating in anything after that, really sucks. It has me really discouraged in the fall bow hunting contest. I was on the very first team that won it. Every year since then, I don't think even comes close to the enthusiasm level the contest board had that first year. Smack talk is down. I've been on a few teams that just about died off during the season with the exception of a few teamates. This last year, my team was in second place, only down by about 100 points, yet silence from members who hadn't scored yet. Talk about frustration.

I like the minimal activity for sign up. Active email account is a great idea. I would also do more advertising on the forum pages themselves. I realise those spots are for paid advertising, however without active members constantly visiting the forum, no one sees the paid advertisement either.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:21 AM
Fork Horn

I think y'all do an outstanding job! I can feel your frustation though. There are a few things I don't understand as far as the people that sign up. Why sign up when you aren't going to participate, follow the simple rules, or answer messages?

JW! & Arrowmaster - It seems the rules are relaxed with regards to the pics showing a ruler with spurs and beard. I know I never went to those lengths because I saw others not doing it. What if you basically went with the NWTF rules that govern registering a bird minus the additional witness as far as that is when a picture with a ruler is required?
All Easterns, Rio Grandes, Merriam’s and Gould’s subspecies birds weighing more than 22 pounds,
Florida subspecies over 20 pounds, or Ocellated turkeys over 10 pounds must be weighed to the
nearest ounce on scales inspected and certified as accurate for trade by the state department of
agriculture, and a weight coupon or signed document presented for proof. An additional witness also
is required. Beards measuring more than 12 inches must have additional witnessing, and application
must include photograph showing measurement. Spurs measuring over 1.5 inches must have
additional witnessing, and application must include photographs showing measurement. Please
include picture if your bird has multiple beards.

Fingerz42- I was one of those "smashing all kinds of birds" and have been fortunate to enter 5 in the contest. When you say those "that can only get to one state and may only be able to take one or two birds", remember you choose to only hunt one state just like I chose to hunt 4 states. I understand money, leave from work, and other things can limit one being able to travel. The contest allows for an even playing field with best bird and then for the quantity portion also......and it is just for fun.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:36 AM
j76
Typical Buck

What if instead of just clicking on the thread and writing your name down, you have to sign up by sending a p.m. to someone? The no shows are very frustrating, think only about 5 team members actually posted anything after checking in on my team this yr. Think the solution is making it take a little more effort to sign up, but at the same time ya dont want to make it so difficult that you loose too many participants or make it too big of a headache for those running the thing. Other than that, I think this contest is a lot of fun!! I thank JW! and Arrowmaster for all of their time and effort! Great Job again this yr guys!
Old 06-05-2010, 06:54 AM
Typical Buck

First and foremost. You guys do a great job! Thanks!

I'm also in a couple of other contests and frankly it's nice to be in at least one where your word and a picture are good enough to enter a bird. One site (and I'm sure some of you know it) gets so encumbered with documentation of a kill that it takes a lot of the enjoyment out of it. I like being on a different team every season. This is about commaraderie and meeting other folks that belong to the forum and I really look forward to getting to know the guys I'm teamed up with each season. I've made some great friends here. As far as the no shows. I don't understand it. We also had two of them this year. Maybe shorten up the show up time and reassign. Give guys 7 days to show up and if they don't give their slot to someone else. I wouldn't mind if you held my name back at the beginning and then assign me to a team that needs another member.

Again. You guys do a great job!

Dan
Old 06-05-2010, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

I had fun with this contest this spring.
And think the captains etc.did a great job.

Also I Met a few new friends.

I think 1 bird.The best bird per person should only be counted/allowed to be entered.
(or is it already like that?)
LOL,Like i said this is my 1st yr with this.Maybe those are the rules?

Ummmm,about the issue with the no shows,
My 2 cents would be,Make it mandatory to give a legit email address,
Then notify them to confirm.
Give them so many days to respond.If they dont then no entry.
Anyway thanks for a fun contest!!
Old 06-05-2010, 02:35 PM
Spike

Hey guys I thought you guys did a great job with the contest and I am glad you are asking for imput I have read a few of the suggestions and some of them are good I don't think that only letting people in that have X amount of post is a good thing if that were the rule this year it would have excluded me since I am new to the forum I do think that something needs to be done about the no shows we had some on our team What about a three stage signup the first would state the rules for sign up and the first sign in then give a date for the second sign in and after the second one give a final date for the last after the last day Hopefully the members that make all the sign up's can be put on teams And maybe make the last sign in where they have to pm you that way you won't get doubles.

P.S I was on team 8 The Kee Kee Krew and it was great to be on top

Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.