Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2010 Turkey Contests
2010 Spring Contest Braggin Board = Post story & Pictures >

2010 Spring Contest Braggin Board = Post story & Pictures

Community

2010 Spring Contest Braggin Board = Post story & Pictures

Old 04-04-2010, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats awesome DTC, now i want to see the video. And remind Jr. that hes on my team in the Youth contest if he hasnt already posted
Old 04-04-2010, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Went to Tennessee Saturday to hunt the opener. Friday afternoon we watched a longbeard and three jakes work a fresh disked field. I watched where they went in the woods and knew where I would be the next morning. Got there before daylight and heard him gobble several times. I set up thinking this is going to be perfect. After about 30 minutes of me calling at him and him gobbling, my friend notified me of the creek that runs between us and the gobbler. I was wondering why he was hung up so far away. This was a large and deep creek. We couldn't cross it because it was another persons property. I just had to sit there and listen to him gobble all morning. Since we saw the gobblers in the field yesterday afternoon, I was going to set up at the end of the field where they went in. I found one shallow spot in the creek where they were crossing. Hopefully they would be back in the field in the afternoon and I could wait on the longbeard. I went to the field to set up and saw two turkeys at the other end. With my binoculars, I could see they were both hens, but alone. It was getting late and no sign of the gobbler anywhere. I watched the hens as they got closer and noticed the beard on one of them. With no gobbler in sight or sound, and it getting late, I decided to take the hen if she gave me a shot. I wasn't going to able to hunt Sunday, so I made up my mind pretty easy. Hens are illegal in LA., beard or no beard. The only other state I hunt is Texas, and bearded hens are illegal there in the Spring. This is the first bearded hen I have ever seen, so I was going to take advantage of this rare chance. The hen eventually came to the end of the field, and I took her at only 20 yards. She is a unique trophy, for me anyway. She weighed 10 pounds and had a 6 1/2 inch beard.
Attached Thumbnails 2010 Spring Contest Braggin Board = Post story & Pictures-100_1399.jpg   2010 Spring Contest Braggin Board = Post story & Pictures-100_1404.jpg  
Old 04-04-2010, 04:14 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Great Story SS - On my 20th yr in the Upper Mich I shot a bearded hen and it was the third I had seen in my lifetime.

She now resides on the wall in a full body mount forever!

Congrats

JW
Old 04-09-2010, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

Congrats to all Awesome
Old 04-11-2010, 04:43 AM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

Saturday was opening day of youth season in MO. I took DTC Jr and we crawled in the blind well before daylight. It wasn't long and we could here 4-5 birds gobbling way to our south. About 5 mintues later a tom and jake fired up behind us at about 80 yards, and then another tom started gobbling right in front of us. He looked at me and said, "dad, we are covered up in gobblers." I grinned b/c I knew his excitement! Around 7:10 I heard the tom in front of us fly down. We gave him some soft clucks and purrs and he kept cutting me off. I knew we were in business. He gobbled about 3 or 4 more times and I never gave him anything. About 10 minutes later I could here him spitting and drumming. I told my son, "he's close!" Shortly I could see the top of his fan. I reached over and turned the video camera on and hit record. (tripods are great in blinds) The bird came up to about 22 yards strutting and gobbling. I gave him a soft put to raise his head and that was it. 24.5 lbs, 9.5" beard, and 7/8" spurs. It was another great memory in the double bull blind.
Attached Thumbnails 2010 Spring Contest Braggin Board = Post story & Pictures-eli-s-2010-tom.jpg  
Old 04-11-2010, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Filled both of my KS. tags this past weekend. Friday mornings hunt was the shortest/quickest turkey hunt that I've ever experienced. Bird hit the ground about 100 yards from me, I gave him one series of yelps and he literally ran all the way to the dekes. Shot him at 8 yards.

Sat. morning I sat up in a different spot and got quite a show. Had 6 full fan strutters parade by following hens. Got two of them to come and investigate my set up, and one of them died from a lethal carbon injection at 17 yards. Although he actually made about 150 yards back to the creek. I found him easily right where he entered the trees.

I used the pretty boy and hen decoy both mornings. I used Wasp jackhammers that I mottified by rounding the point a bit. Did that in hopes of keeping the arrow in the bird, instead of going through him. It worked on the 2nd bird, but I got a complete pass through on the first bird. Although, because the arrow stayed in the 2nd bird, he ended up breaking the arrow. SO, maybe I don't want the arrow to stay in.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

Congrats to DTC and DTC JR and to howler
Old 04-11-2010, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not much of a picture to go along with these two.

Here is the 64.5 pointer:

and the smaller one, still 58 something...:
Old 04-20-2010, 08:37 AM
Typical Buck

Hunted this area the last 2 weeks in SC.
Birds would fly down and go directly to the private club.
Turns out that they were baiting...grrrrrrr.
Anyway, I bumped my bird off the roost so I wasn't into it.
About 0830et or so I ate my bagel and told Jim that I was going to pack
up soon.
I then heard some far off yelping so I decided to play games.
I let loose and started cuttin', yelpin', purrin', cluckin', and just
tearin' it up.
The responses were getting closer and closer and before I knew it they
was crunchin' coming right at me.
I saw movement and went to turn but realized it was a gobbler so I
froze.
He came through the bushes and jumped up on a log and started to strut.
It was so beautiful!! He had 2 jakes with him and they kept watching me
so I was afraid to move.
At this point the gobbler knew something was up too so he jumped off the
log and started to head off.
Luckily he stopped behind a small tree long enough for me to turn and
shoot.
All I saw were birds flyin' so I wasn't sure if I got him or not but
then I saw floppin' on the ground.
I jumped up and stomped on his head cause this one wasn't getting away,
I had waited too long for this moment.
I then go so excited that I puked...lol...and thanked God over and over
a million times over.
He only had 1 spur, 7/8in and the other looked like it wanted to grow
but was more like raised skin, not even a bump.
He weighed 21lbs and had a 10.5in beard.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 2 birds down

Wow I never knew this post was here awsome...Well 2 weeks ago I shot my biggest turkey..also my second ever in missouri my uncle called it in for me it was 21 pounds 10 inch beard and .75 inch spur's here he is..also shot him with a 10 gauge

and last saterday my dad had to work so i struck out by myself I used a box call and called in two BIG!!Gobbler's first turkeys I ever called in and shot while hunting by myself it was awsome
only shot one of em though he had a 10.5 inch beard he was 20 pounds and had 1 inch spurs..here he is..shot him with a 12 gauge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.