Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2010 Turkey Contests
Team 13 Tom's Worst Nightmare >

Team 13 Tom's Worst Nightmare

Community

Team 13 Tom's Worst Nightmare

Old 03-17-2010, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bwirth1999
i am in Clermont. Will be hunting Richloam and green swamp... possibly others.. not sure yet though.
That's about an hour or so away from me, straight shot on highway 50. Good luck this weekend.

Well I've got everything ready and I just need to pack the jeep. It's a real pain in the butt that the state only allows scouting for permit holders this friday. So I have to rely on past experience and a one day scouting trip. Last year it took me until the fourth day to get a shot, and I missed the damn thing. One good thing about a dense pattern at close range, you either blow him to smithereens or you miss him like I did. I would hate to wound a bird as majestic as our turkeys. Well guys, wish me and Brian luck this weekend, and hopefully we can start team 13 off with a couple of old fat Osceola longbeards.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:49 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Centaur 1
That's about an hour or so away from me, straight shot on highway 50. Good luck this weekend.

Well I've got everything ready and I just need to pack the jeep. It's a real pain in the butt that the state only allows scouting for permit holders this friday. So I have to rely on past experience and a one day scouting trip. Last year it took me until the fourth day to get a shot, and I missed the damn thing. One good thing about a dense pattern at close range, you either blow him to smithereens or you miss him like I did. I would hate to wound a bird as majestic as our turkeys. Well guys, wish me and Brian luck this weekend, and hopefully we can start team 13 off with a couple of old fat Osceola longbeards.
Good luck guys, make us proud!

Also wanted everyone to know I had Arrowmaster change our team name to Team 13 Tom's Worst Nightmare.

Be safe,

Brian
Old 03-18-2010, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Centaur 1
Well guys, wish me and Brian luck this weekend, and hopefully we can start team 13 off with a couple of old fat Osceola longbeards.

Oh I hope so I have to wait till april 3rd before i can pick up a gun....saw some turkey down on a river bottom today oh boy bloods a runnen!!!
Old 03-19-2010, 07:22 AM
Spike

I did not hunt at all last year nor the year before. And i am hunting in a new area. Good thing i have seen more turkey around here then i have back home.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I went scouting today. If turkeys had webbed feet and quacked I'd be in good shape. There's damn water EVERYWHERE. The usual spots where they like to strut are under water, and the adjacent areas that the birds use as thoroughfares were absent of any tracks. I went to another spot that the birds sporadically use that is much drier and it had a bunch of new trail marking tape hanging from the three entrances that lead to it, and I ran into another hunter on my way out who was on his way to go check the same place out. I headed over to an oak hammock that I know birds like to use, and it's high and dry. I didn't see any birds, but it was 3pm by then and this has always been a morning spot. So my son and I are going to be sitting here in the morning. If nothing else the area is full of deer and hogs that might give us something to look at. Oh, I even saw fresh panther tracks today, they're pretty rare in Florida.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

No birds yet, we heard them in the trees nearby before sunup, but they shut up once they hit the ground. My son had a bobcat come into his decoy, that's pretty cool. I wonder if they're quiet due to the lack of dry ground and all of the predators in the area. We have bobcats, coyotes and florida panthers all trying to keep their feet dry.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:57 PM
Spike

Yeah, Richloam is almost totaly underwater.. Which is good and bad. Good since the turkey have less moving room. Bad.. because i cant get to any of my spots..
Old 03-23-2010, 03:40 PM
Spike

anybody hunting nor cal this weekend?
Old 03-23-2010, 03:48 PM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys, I'm in NY, but have an Aunt in Zephyrhills. Any hunting spots there?
Old 03-24-2010, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Zephyrhills is over near bwirth1999's area. We have WMA's all over the place but they see a lot of hunting pressure and you have to apply for a permit through a quota system almost six months in advance. You'd be better off if your Aunt knew someone with land. You can find a list of state lands at myfwc.com.

Well our season is open for another month, but my quota hunt is over without even seeing a bird. We had a bunch of rain on Sunday afternoon which made our situation even worse. Monday morning just as sunlight started to lighten the sky, an entire pack of coyotes started yelping and howling only a couple of hundred yards away from us. There is very little dry land, panthers, bobcats, coyotes and us hunters all running around on the only dry ground for miles, no wonder the turkeys are quiet this year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.