Community

Team 12 Tommy Knockers

Old 04-20-2010, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Put one down this morning guys. Didnt hear a lot of gobbling on the roost but there was one that was going crazy abot 150 yards away from me or so. I call to him a little bit and he answers so i shut up. After fly down the turkeys start going crazy. Gobbles everywhere and in every direction. The one i was working makes a big loop around me and gets behind me. Eventually he gets pretty close, probably 75 yards or so but i cant see him for all the brush. So im looking behind me and i just happened to look back out at my dekes and there is a bird headed my way, came in totally silent, he was a young bird so it figures. So he comes in and i shoot and he falls over and then gets back up, i shoot again and he flies off. Im thinking no way i missed him. Luckily he flies up and hits the tree line and falls straight down, dead. Hes not the biggest bird but im happy with any turkey im able to take.
17lbs 5oz
10.25in beard
.75in spurs

Your score is 17.3125 + 7.5 + 7.5 + 20.5 = 52.8125

Last edited by MOhunter46; 04-20-2010 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice! Ill post the score now
Old 04-20-2010, 10:53 AM
Fork Horn

Nice bird!!! Still got another week till my season, but then im not holdin back.. I got 4 tags and hoping to do some damage lol
Old 04-20-2010, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a little more success today, but still no bird. I heard plenty of gobbling. I seen one hen and I called one Tom in. Just as I raised my gun he must have seen me and he bolted. One more second and I would have had him. Well, I'll be back out tomorrow morning.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:17 PM
Fork Horn

Nice job MOhunter!
Old 04-21-2010, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice bird MOhunter!!!!!
Old 04-21-2010, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another day another 0. Today for some reason seemed very slow. I heard one gobbling early but couldn't get him close. That was the only one I heard. I heard one hen yelping kind of close but that was it.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice bird MoHunter. Congrats.

I went out this morning. How 2 gobblers hang up about 40 yards out....just out of bow range....but I guess that is bowhunting. Will head back out this weekend with the bow again, then eventually loose the bow for the gun sometime next week. Good luck everyone.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've got one more day before I head back to work. If I'm not successful tomorrow, tha second half of our season is all day hunts. Maybe I'll be able to get out a few evenings. Good luck everyone!!!!!
Old 04-22-2010, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

Team 12 - Tommy Knockers
Hunter- Mookyj
State - Ohio- Opening Day
Species - Eastern
NWTF Score - 58.8750 18 lbs 6oz., 9.7/8" beard, R.S. 1", L.S. 1/16"

Just got back from a great turkey hunting trip in Pike County, Ohio. I booked a DIY hunt with Ohio River Valley Outfitters in Piketon, Ohio. After making the trip there (along with a stop at Cabela's in Wheelin, WV) I got a personal tour of two sizable properties (400-500 acres) from Andy Montgomery (owner/outfitter). Both properties had turkey written all over them, and had not been hunted for turkeys. The outfitter typically runs deer hunts in the fall, and was branching out into the spring season.

I choose for the first two days of my hunt a property with two high ridge peaks (450 to 500 foot elevation changes) that formed the end of a very large bowl that ran nearly half a mile back, and was also joined by several smaller finger ridges. This was more like hunting at home, and suited me just fine. I roosted five gobblers that night, pinpointing them at the junction of two ridges. I would be there well before first light. The next morning I got in early and was able to setup within 150 yards of the gobblers. It was a very loud morning, that resulted in two gobblers making a bee-line to my position. I dropped the gobbler at 28 paces and less than three minutes after he flew down from the roost. He came in with a slightly smaller gobbler in tow. I had to wait it out for another hour and a half after the shot, as another group of five long beards came into the setup, all were equally as impressive, and made me wish there was an exception to the one a day rule. My opening day bird weighed in at your typical 18 lbs 6 oz, sported a bushy 9-7/8" beard, and had 1" & 1-1/16" spurs. A solid three year old gobbler.

The remaining two days was filled with massive amounts of gobbling, and nearly completed a double with a newly befriended hunter. I hunted with my new friend who shall remain nameless (super nice guy to hunt with though) on the second property on the last day. We were surrounded that morning with no less than a dozen gobblers, and it would be another very loud morning. I gave him choice on the two front gobblers and opted to take the one in back. He got buck fever (or gobbler fever) and pulled the shot. I dropped my bird which turned out to be a jake. Although it did not turn out as planned, I shared a great morning with another hunter, and made a new friend. There were several other farms that were of equal or better quality, and I'll be back to check those out this fall.

Here's a link to a recording I made on opening day (spring turkey season) in Ohio. Recorded on my iphone. it was right next to me. Should have placed it a ways out. In reality I called rather low key but it sounds loud, and the gobbling was much louder than how I captured it. runs about 18 minutes (4.59mb .wav file)
http://www.turkey-talk.com/webaudio/ohio2010c_mobil.wav

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5837339&l=58eaf61e9e&id=735242418

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.