Team 9 "Roosted & Roasted"

Old 04-18-2010, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on that nice fat bird hunt12ga! And holy crap Todd, that sure is a nice shiner bud. They still gobbling for you down there? I'm not hearing anymore birds on my land, saw some hens and what might have been a tom in a field the other day but couldn't really get to em or make em come to us. Might try to go a day or two this week but I've got two papers due soon that I'll be spending most of my time on so I don't know yet. I got a couple more places I can hunt, haven't tried them much this year so I'll check those spots out whenever I can get to them. Didn't go hunting today, but I did happen to get engaged to my g/f of two years. Took her down to our family name tree by the creek behind my great great grandparents old house and asked her. She loved it, great day for us. Good luck to everybody, keep slayin em guys.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just got back gentleman. I will get these birds posted and fill you in on my week of hunting later this evening.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

First off, congrats to all of you that have connected. Todd, your a turkey slayer....plain and simple. Nice shiner!!!! Hunt12ga, that is a great IL. gobbler. Great job! Here are the totals I have so far..........

hunt12ga - 61
Todd 1700 - 51.875, 57.875, 56.875, 41.5
SoutherStrut56 - 60.25, 48.25

Team contest entry score = 179.125
Team total score = 377.625

Bolded score is the biggest bird that is entered by each hunter so far. I've been away from home for 10 days hunting and visiting in Tampa, FL., so I have a lot to get caught up on. Bare with me and I will get you all posted on my last weeks successes and failures later this evening.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:18 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SouthernStrut56
I did happen to get engaged to my g/f of two years. Took her down to our family name tree by the creek behind my great great grandparents old house and asked her. She loved it, great day for us.
Congrats Strut! Wishing you both the best!

rw
Old 04-20-2010, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

As promised I will fill you guys in on my week. I will save you the read because I ate my second season tag and it wasn't because I didn't hunt hard.

The first two days of season I was in Tampa, FL. visiting my two young sons that recently moved down there with their mother. (Yes, I will be moving as well shortly.) Opening morning of second season my cousin calls and lets me know that he missed one and the birds where hot. I flew back in to Indianapolis airport on Monday and got some birds roosted for the next morning hunt. Get back to the woods Tuesday morning and nothing....not the first gobble after putting 3 to bed. I'm still puzzled as hell on that one. I did manage to call in 3 different hens in 1 hour in that woods. We hunted a couple other spots and called in single hens in both spots. 1 o'clock came and we went to lunch. Tuesday night we went to another spot that I have permission to hunt (this is where the story gets interesting) and put one to bed again. Wed. morning we slip in there bright and early and upon first gobble we are within 75 yards of this birds roost and he is hot!!! He was double gobbling by himself on the roost. I could barely see through the woods and this bird goes silent and I know he is on the ground, but can't believe it. I look at my cousin and I utter the words, "He's on the ground and when he gobbles the first time I'm gonna pour it on him." No sooner did I get that out and BOOM!!! Scared the bejesus out of both of us. We grab our dekes and walk back to the truck wondering where this person parked that shot our bird. So we wait and this guy comes pulling up and immediately jumps out and starts accussing us of tresspassing. I quickly cut this joker off and let him know that he is in fact the one tresspassing and he was set up across the property line by at least 100 yards. He begins to back peddle on his story and I tell him that I had better things to do, but I would notify the landowner and they could hash it out. I peek in the guys truck and there lies our bird. He had at least and 1 1/4" spurs and probably a 9" beard. (Mind you the bird is in the back of his truck untagged) I let him know he ought to tag his bird, got his liscense plate number and then we left. We go to another spot on the Embarrass River (hunt12ga knows where this is) and I walk down the long lane while my cousin sits in the truck because he is still disgusted with what just happened. I walk down there and let out a few yelps and one immediately fires back. I run back to the truck and we get our stuff and start towards the river. We get set up with the dekes in the food plot and I start calling and as soon as he answered I knew we were in trouble. He was on the other side. After an hour of him going crazy I knew he wasn't flying over. I called everyone that I knew that had a boat and no one was home. We talked it over and decided that we were going to swim the river (its very small). I get my boots and socks off and took the first step and the water was freezing! No way was I gonna do that! We called it quits for the day. Thursday morning found me on a new bird that I knew had 2 hens with him when he flew up to roost, but I was running out of options. After an hour of calling the next morning the lead hen came in on a string and the gobbler and the boss hen circled just out of gun range to my back side. I was so disgusted I almost pumped a load into my decoy after they walked off. I followed that bird all morning hoping he would leave that hen, but it wasn't the case. It seemed like all odds where stacked against me all week and I completely hunted my rear end off. Only one day did I give up before 1 o'clock. I was in bed every night before 9pm and up at 4:30 am.

I did however have a very good week with family and friends. We slammed some absolute monster crappie and found a few mushrooms. I will be hunting again this weekend and next week in Indiana with my dad and IL. 4th season as well. It's about an hour drive to the spot in Indiana to my spot in IL. Surely I can luck out on one of these two states. Hopefully in Indiana for sure considering the price I paid for the tag!!!

Sorry for the let down, but believe me, it wasn't the lack of trying.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe we need to get in touch with this 'Duke' and see about a gobbler hunt in Richland county next spring. Heck, I may know him. Considering the way you lay the SMACK on the turkeys, you'd be deadly wingman!
I'll look into it. I will also get these guys I know to get in touch with their other friends and see if anyone turkey hunts their places. It would be very interesting and fun to me to hunt turkeys in another state. I hear some of the farmers kinda dislike the turkeys more than they do deer. The deer only eat their corn when it dries out just before harvest. The turkeys sometimes dig up their seed corn when it's planted.

Course it's a little dangerous to turn an old Alabama boy loose on your turkey grounds. We know how to talk sweet to gobbler. LOL!
Old 04-21-2010, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Didn't go hunting today, but I did happen to get engaged to my g/f of two years.
Congrats buddy. Best of luck for you two.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:22 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Todd1700
Congrats buddy. Best of luck for you two.
Ditto. Congrats & enjoy!

Kist
Old 04-22-2010, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

2 lunger, sounds like it was an interesting week and you definitely tried hard, sucks that guy was trespassing and got that bird! hopefully you will get one in Indiana or the next season in illinois.

Southernstrut congrats and good luck with the engagement!
Old 04-22-2010, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Update on the trespasser.....he was cited this week on someone elses land. It's getting to the point of having to have your on ground to hunt. Even then you have guys like this who hunt where ever they want.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.