Community

Team 9 "Roosted & Roasted"

Old 03-22-2010, 04:59 PM
Typical Buck

Good luck with those gall stones. I don't know much about that except that it must suck! I actually have to take off work Wed and take my wife to the hospital to have some kidney stones blasted out. We're not looking forward to that!

On a brighter note, we bought [her] a high-dollar professional camera and several lenses with tax money. She's agreed to sit in a blind with me to hopefully get some pictures of strutting birds in the woods (maybe right before I whack 'em!). It's hard to get her out in the woods except for deer gun season, so I'm pretty stoked about this! And to think it only cost me about 1000 bucks for a camera to get her out there! lol

rw
Old 03-22-2010, 05:42 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by SouthernStrut56
Beautiful day here today, best weather of 2010 so far and I was in the ER with the fiance for gall bladder problems. Up there from 5:30 this morning til about an hour ago, the sonographer points out visible gallstones during the ultrasound, and yet they sent us home after 8 hours of sitting in a stupid room, and told her to go see her regular doctor on Monday. So, not much got accomplished today, but there was no way I could go to the woods with her in pain like she was. Her mother is down for the weekend so I'm going in the morning to see what I can do. Good luck to everybody else going hard at it.

OUCH. Been there. Not a happy place, I can tell you. Tell her it gets better!

Kist
Old 03-24-2010, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

You guys still kicking?
Old 03-24-2010, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im still here, just get more jealous the more i look at guys scoring, knowing i have over a month till the season is here.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm still here, still going about once or twice a week. This isn't a good news story so don't get excited. Skipped class to go yesterday morning, and the birds had come alive for the first time this year. I had a couple of nice toms roosted from Tuesday afternoon, just off a power line down an old logging road, so I went back and set up on them around 6:05. I guess I was about 200 yards from em. Got sat down and didn't say a word, wanted him to make the first move. As soon as he gobbled, the rest of the birds on the property came alive and starting hittin it pretty good. They gobbled at the trains comin by, an owl hootin at em, and at each other's gobbles. It was a great day to be a turkey hunter, I knew I was gonna smack a nice one in no time. After a few nice loud gobbles, I hit him with some soft yelps. Not much, just a few series of yelps so he'd know where I was. He pitched down and gobbled, I knew he was on the ground so I sounded off with a fly down and crash in the leaves. He hammered twice. About 3 minutes and 6 or 7 more gobbles later, I cut down on that diaphram for the first time this year, and he hammered. He hit it a few more times while he was still outta sight, and at about 7:20 he topped the hill on that road about 50 yards away while I'm on the next ridge over with a little draw between us but I'm overlooking that road and can see it pretty good. I thought if I could get him on that road I could call him on over to me, but no. He stopped behind a dang pile of vines comin down from a huge pine tree, strutted his tail off spittin and drummin for about 20 minutes in the same dang spot. The only moving he did was spinnin around all fanned out tryin to see the hen and wanting the hen to see him. After 20 minutes of holding my gun up on him, a group of about 8 jakes came bustin up the hollow from my left and ran him off. I kee kee'd a little and scratched the leaves for 30 more minutes hoping he'd come back but he never did. Alright, that aint all, this is gonna be long. After an hour or so of walking and listening trying to get on another one, I walked down that same road I was set up on earlier. Got all the way to the bottom and heard something walking around and rustlin leaves real loud. We have a ton of armadillos down there so that's the first thing I thought it was. Didn't think it was a bird b/c where I was walking down the road, a bird would have to have seen me coming. BUT I sat down just to be sure and waited for 45 minutes or so. I yelped a little, clucked and purred a lot, scratched the leaves. He never gobbled, never came to check it out. He didn't move 10 feet in those 45 minutes I was sitting there. By this time it's lunchtime and I'm already frustrated, so I said well dang this is for sure an armadillo, I aint wasting my time anymore. Got up, walked down the road around a little bend, low and behold if it wasn't a dadgum longbeard just standing there. By the time I reached down to pull the gun up he was workin them wings and gone across the river. These dang birds are the special forces army rangers of the wild turkey species I swear, and with the steep hills and ridges I'm hunting it's tough to pick the perfect spot where you think he's gonna come. I came to the conclusion that it just wasn't my day. Either that or I'm just not living right, haha. But the good news is they're hot right now, going back Saturday, haha, been the same story every time I check in....."Nothing, going back Saturday".....sure hope I haven't lost my mojo.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:53 PM
Typical Buck

Good story. That's plenty of excitement to get you out there next time!

rw
Old 03-25-2010, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Please welcome 1shotkill1993 to your team...
Old 03-26-2010, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

welcome aboard 1shotkill, when and where will you be hunting?
Old 03-27-2010, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Please welcome your new team member bowhunterchad
Old 03-27-2010, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Got us one this afternoon, finally. 20 lbs, 9.5" beard, 1" left spur, 1.125" right spur. If those measurements are confirmed he'll have an nwtf score of 60.25. I'll post the pictures in a little bit, I'm eatin my subway samich. Also welcome aboard bowhunterchad!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.