Community

Team 9 "Roosted & Roasted"

Old 05-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well went out for first day saturday, had a bird hot on roost and tried to get setup but he was in about the perfect spot for sighting anything coming his way. We tried to sneak a field edge only about 60 yards from him but it was late since it was way back in the woods and he flew down as we were setting up and saw us. We went after some other birds but didnt get him to come in. Then finally set up on a mature bird, heard some hens and he wasnt moving our way but we stuck it out and finally saw a bright head coming our way. There was a crest and all we could see was his head but he was coming in cautious so my dad blasted him and it ended up being a jake. Going to the spot where i heard a ton of birds the next two mornings so hopefully I got some news to post soon.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:33 PM
Spike

Managed to bag a 2 year old bird -not much of a story-setup a week
ago saturday and heard a couple of birds gobbling on the roost-waited a little bit and then did some soft calling-a couple of jakes are coming and I do not see them for the tall grass and the next time I call they surprise the crap out of me-they are about 75 yards across the field from me and they realize something is not right and they will not come any closer and then they move off. I continue to to call off and on for another couple of hours and I get no response.
I know from the day before that these birds are using the grass fields to feed in them. There are several grass fields that are seperated by mature tree lines and small patches of timber. I now start sneaking thru these fields peaking around to see if there are any turkeys that I can see. As I am coming up to the fifth or sixth field I am in a small patch of woods and as I am coming up to the edge of the field I see a hen no more than 20 yards in front of me ans then I see another hen about 40 yards out-neither one of them knows that I am there-and then I spot some movement to my left and there is a tom with accreptable beard length and he knows that something is not right and he is moving away from the hens toward the timber-I had one quick glance and knew that I was gonna try to shoot him-raised up the gun put the gobble stopper green dot on his neck and pulled the trigger-down he went-stepped off at 42 yards.
Not the real exciting hunt but did end up in success.
The beard measured 8.500 inches
He weighed 18.5 pounds according to my scales-need to verify scales
His spurs were both .750
Here are the measurements-someone will have to figure the score

Off to Kansas Wednesday to try again.

Last edited by Ezbagr; 05-02-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Ezbagr. Way to go!!!
Old 05-03-2010, 04:05 AM
Typical Buck

Good shooting Ezbagr! May not have happened like you'd planned, but it takes some good sneakin to walk up that close on turkeys. you get extra credit for that!

Well I filled my last tag yesterday morning. I had planned to set up in one of the many fencerows in a big field where I've always seen turkeys. I heard a gobble between me and the truck, so I went back one fencerow and set up. By the time I was ready, he was on the ground headed the other way, gobbling his head off. We had bad storms again last night, and I'm wondering if in the night he lost track of his hens. He was headed across the road and I figured I knew where he was going. I went back to the truck and drove to the house to get the blind that I'd forgotten. I went back and headed into the woods on the other side of the road. I immediately heard him gobble maybe 100 yards away. I picked a tree and set up. He started coming, then held up at about 50 or 60 yards. I never got a look at him since the woods was so brushy. I backed out after an hour of listening to him gobble. I circled the woods and set up on him again. Once again, he moved to about 60 yards or so away and held up without me being able to see him. After 30 minutes of this, I figured he wasn't going to do it. I backed straight out of the woods and went halfway out to the field and yelped and cut a few times. He gobbled and I quickly went back to my setup. Another 15 minutes later, here he comes, sneaking through the woods. At 35 yards, the rest is history. From the time I set up on him til the time I shot, almost 2 hours had passed. He never quit gobbling that whole time for more than a couple minutes.

I'm wondering if this is the same bird I shot at and missed last week. It's the same spot, and he was definitely not interested in getting close to that call. Guess I'll never know. Maybe I should have asked him before I shot him!

21lbs 9 1/2" beard 7/8" and 1' spurs

Old 05-03-2010, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

great job on the birds guys!
Old 05-03-2010, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wowzers!! I'll get these posted guys. Congrats to both of you and Ezbar, you short changed yourself on that beard length.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here we are as of right now.

hunt12ga - 61, 65.75, 58.75
Todd 1700 - 51.875, 57.875, 56.875, 41.5
SoutherStrut56 - 60.25, 48.25
Ezbar - 50.8125

Team contest entry score = 234.6875
Team total score = 552.9375
Old 05-04-2010, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Way to go Hunt12ga. Man you have had a heck of a year. Seasons over down here so you guys that can, keep on, keeping on. I'll be checking in.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:26 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks. Yeah, this is by far my best year ever. Crazy, considering it's been the worst hunting year I've had. The birds weren't gobbling, they weren't doing what they were supposed to, etc. Oh well, it all worked out and I can't complain about the results! I'm ready to do some fishing now. I'm turkeyed out! Good luck to the rest of y'all with tags left. I'll keep checking in to see how you're doing.

rw
Old 05-08-2010, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well after a great first week here in PA I got a respectable bird today. Opening day my dad got one, wednesday called a slammer in but he stayed just out of range and then I called a nice one in for my buddy. Today had a nice quick morning and put this bird down at 6:05.

17 lbs 5 oz
1 inch spurs
9.5" beard
Your score is 17.3125 + 10 + 10 + 19 = 56.3125

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.