Community

Team 9 "Roosted & Roasted"

Old 03-30-2010, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Little late, but 1shot checkin in.

Will be hunting Roanoke, Bedford, Franklin, Floyd, and Amherst counties here in Virginia.

Season starts April 10th. I'm PUMPED!!
Old 03-30-2010, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome 1shot. So far we are off to a great start and we only got two guys hunting right now. I'm counting down the days.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:46 PM
Spike

Welcome aboard 1Shot-good luck to you in the upcoming season.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Put bird number 3 down for us this morning. Went to the home place this morning and set up on a bird that was roosted near were I killed the first bird this season. In fact I set up near that same little strut zone clearing that I killed the first one in. But things did not go down as simple this time. I was about 100 yards from this bird and there were three other birds gobbling off in the distance. Before I even started to call to this bird a hen pitched off the limb of a tree out to my left and sailed down landing about 10 yards in front of me. I tried to be as still as I could but she pecked around until she got so close that she saw me and started putting. Even worse she head straight towards the gobblers tree doing it. And just like I expected he shut up. Didn't gobble on the limb again. I figured this hunt is over before it started. I yelped softly to him one more time. Nothing. But in a few minutes I heard a bird flying down off the roost. Then I look up and there he comes through the air. He sailed past my tree on the left side at a distance of 15 yards an landed somewhere behind me. I kept still till he walked off and gobbled about 120 yards away. Then I spun around to his side of the tree. The next time he gobbled out through the pines another bird gobbled with him. Every time I called to them they both gobbled but didn't come any closer. Finally one bird walked off to the left gobbling occassionally. But one bird started coming back to me. Finally at about 75 yards I saw him heading from my left to right and moving so fast I thought something had spooked him. He went out of sight over a ridge way out to my right. So I changed positions on my tree to face his direction again. I thought he was spooked and through playing but when I yelped to him he gobbled again. He stayed out there out of sight and gobbled a few more times. I got more agressive calling to him and he started cutting me off and then his gobbles got louder until I saw him making a bee line straight at me. Now however there was a shallow valley in front of me. I saw him go down the far side into it but he went out of sight in the bottom. It seemed like forever but I finally saw that head peeking over the rim of this side about 35 yards away. I let him get to 30 yards where I had a good shooting lane and pulverized him.
18lbs 2oz, 10 inch beard, left spur 7/8 inch, right spur 1 inch.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:04 AM
Spike

Todd, congratulations on your 3rd bird. Mam, you are a turkey killing
machine. Hope my season goes half as good as yours. Are you done now or are you able to hunt some more?
Old 04-02-2010, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

We can kill 5 a season here in Alabama. There are still 3 more birds gobbling on the home place. At least 2 on the lease land. Should be four more in the middle field where I killed my second bird this year. And I've been hearing 4 gobbling in the swamp. So no I'm not done yet. LOL!
Old 04-02-2010, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

haha I love Alabama don't you Todd?! I got another one for us this morning too! Congrats on bird 3! My buddy and I actually got a double around 8:15, pretty sweet deal being his first bird ever. We had 4 or 5 birds gobbling pretty good early, set up on em and they got with hens and shut up. We stuck it out and ended up calling 3 toms in. One was a big ol joker, struttin and drummin, but he got suspicious and slipped back over the ridge. The other two little rookie 2 year olds with the big one just had to keep lookin for the hens. The first one came in and I busted him, the other one went nuts and came over to the dead one to check him out, my buddy popped him. Great day in the woods. His had a 7" beard and 1" spurs, my bird weighed 17 lbs 4 oz, 8" beard, and 3/4" spurs. Scores 48.25 nwtf. Not huge, but an awesome hunt today.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:43 AM
Typical Buck

Great job ss!!!! Very nice turk - hope you're feeling better too!!!!

Lucky for u guys - we're giving you a head-start. Our first guy will be in the field on Monday - then it's ALL OVER!!! LOL

Great job - seriously!!!! I was wondering how u did - that bird is sweeeeet! 19 days for me still... DANG! Already having trouble sleeping - LMAO!!!

Kim
Old 04-02-2010, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Way to go Southernstrut!! Yeah, you gotta love Alabama if you are a turkey hunter. LOL! And God bless 2 year old birds too. My hunting buddies and I have only pulled off a double kill one time. We would have done it twice but the second opportunity we had at a double my buddy with me that day missed his bird. Only thing worse than missing, is missing and then having to walk back out of the woods to the truck with your buddy who didn't miss. LOL! Congrats again on a great morning.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

damn guys you are really pounding those bama birds. Congrats! I heard birds gobbling all day and had some in the yard struttin with the ladies, i cant wait till i can get out there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.