Community

Team 8 Kee Kee Krew

Old 04-04-2010, 07:53 AM
Spike

20 Gauge Turkey loads $6.97
Turkey Call $8.97
Turkey Decoy $38.97
Watching your 9 year old daughter on her first Turkey hunt play (peek-a-boo) with a 20+lbs Tom Turkey Priceless
What a day. I took my 9 year old Daughter on her first Turkey hunt on youth weekend here in Kentucky. And What a day we had. We creeped in to a hot spot an hour before light. We set up the blind trying not to booger the birds roosting not far away. just before light the woods came to life 3 toms Gobbling 40 yards away in the trees. Just at first light we could see the birds in the trees. My first thought was this was going to happen My youngest daughter was going to get her first turkey. The Toms gobbled and she was grinning from ear to ear I told her they would fly down soon and she gave me a thumbs up trying to be quite I was so proud. The birds flew out of the trees and we watched the hill to see if they were headed for us and they never came. I knew where they were headed. We took off up the ridge for the next field to get ahead of them. We got there just in time to set down. We could hear the birds just over the edge of a bank. They were right on top of us. She got down and put her gun up. And I got behind her and pulled the hammer back on her gun. I laid my hand on her Back she was shakeing and I could feel her heart pounding. She was looking down the barrel pointed right at the sound comming from over the bank she held for about 30 seconds. Then she got antsey and lifted her head up the same time as the gobbler popped up. They were looking eye to eye at 6 feet. I think it scared her as much as it did the Turkey. The big Tom took off down the hill. Thinking she would be discouraged I told her it happens to all of us. She started Laughing She was just amazed at how close we were. And then she told me not to worry we would get one next time. Looks like I am going to have a great year with my new hunting partner.
Welcome new team members. And good luck to everyone.

Mark
Old 04-04-2010, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great story sproket!
Old 04-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Sproket,
Sounds like a great experience. If you and your daughter can get that close to 'em with any regularity, you'll have a lot of success.

It reminds me of an incident from a few years ago on a goose shoot in Sask, Can. Low lying fog covered the field , and we could heard the geese above us, but not see them. Not see them until, the came through the fog at 10-15yds. One small flight was very vocal and one goose answered every call thrown at them. When they busted through, all I noticed was the light reflected in their eyes. I sat there and watched the majestic animals fly over, never even thought about firing a shot.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was out this morning, and had some answering to my calls at about 75-100 yards. I quit calling and got my gun up, but they never came into my sight. Had a few hens come in on me, but no boys...until next time!
Old 04-05-2010, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Keep at it BibleMan - at least you are seeing birds!
Old 04-05-2010, 02:00 PM
Spike

Default Big Success

No, not a bird.

I was doing some scouting on public forest over the weekend in Mass and things were not looking good. Some deer signs but that was about it. I started driving around farm country and boy did I get sad. All these pastures and corn fields, so close, and they weren't mine. But then! I just walked up and asked if I could hunt the land for the spring gobblers. They said yes, all 500 acres of it.

I'm happy. At least it's a step towards getting my first bird, in Mass, with a bow.

Still can't wait for the Maine gun hunt.

Now that I have the access I am thinking about walking around with an owl call the night before or early morning then trying to locate and setting up a blind. I can do a few calls with the slate and am working on the mouth call. One or two hen decoys. I am just going to use a cheap blind and go from there.

Any ideas?
Old 04-05-2010, 05:31 PM
Typical Buck

I have been wondering the same thing where are all the birds? In general I have seen way less in driving around. They are there but just not as many does anyone have any guesses. This is not looking good but we still got 21 days to go!
Treebeard
Old 04-06-2010, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Was on 3 gobblers this morning...couldn't get the closer than 60 yards tho. These public land birds are skittish. Just hung up and would not come any closer. Thought of shooting for a second, but I didn't feel comfortable with a 60-65 yard shot. Got that thought out of my mind quickly. Had to move in on them to get to within 80-100 yards and then called them in a little closer...now I know where to set up in the morning! All decent birds, but one was humongous! I got my eye on you, Thom the Tom.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:13 PM
Typical Buck

Hey gang good news I watched em roost tonight things might be picking up.
We will see next week or the week after!
I am backing off with three weeks to go and little action I don't want to bugger this
Treebeard
Dam birds
Old 04-12-2010, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

8 more days 'til I take off my first venture to the spring turkey woods of Missouri. I'm getting more excited every day. I'm hoping to knock over my first Eastern.

Two friends took a kid on a youth hunt on Sat. They had a big longbeard right off the roost at 30yds, but the kid was so excited that he couldn't get the bead on the bird's neck, so he never shot. I hope the kid likes his first taste of the fever.

Come on Kee Kee Krew! We need more birds on the ground.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.