Team 5 Thundering Toms

Old 04-22-2010, 03:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default Headed to Missouri.

Well team I will be headed to Mo. this weekend for the first bird down there. You can only shoot one in the first week then one in the next two weeks. My second tag in Iowa starts next wed. so I should have 3 more to add to the list in the next two weekends.

Where is the rest of our team are you guys hunting yet?
Old 04-22-2010, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been out three times. Everytime I have seen big toms but they are just outside of range. I would have went this morning but I did an internship with a couple of paramedics from 7 to 7. I am going in the morning pending on whether there are any thunderstorms or not.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default 5 down 2 to go

Shot my first bird of the mo. season this morning.
I only have 2 tags left one for mo. and one for iowa.
22 lbs
10.750 beard
1" spur
1" spur

He totals 62
Attached Thumbnails Team 5 Thundering Toms-mo.-1.jpg  
Old 04-24-2010, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got a decent one this morning I did not get a good picture of it but I will get them up as soon as I can. I think that was the heaviest bird I have ever shot.

Rio
23 lbs
10.5" beard
1.25" spurs
Total 69
Old 04-24-2010, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Alright here is the pictures and story. When I got to my spot this morning I thought I was going to be in trouble. I bet I did not hear 10 gobbles on the roost. Normally it is hundreds. Finally once they were on the ground they gobbled a little more. I was hunting out of one of those pop up blinds and I had set it on the back side of a ceder tree to block me from the turkeys as the approach. Well at 7 I look behind me and there were like 4 hens and 2 jakes i looked at them through the binos and turn back around and see 3 hens right in front of me so I figured that a tom would be right behind them well I was wrong. They start to feed out in front of me so I turn around to look at the other ones and there is a tom strutting about 10 yards away. At this point my gun was still facing the direction that I figured they would come(which was completely wrong). So I slowly start reaching for my gun when something catches my eye. Two more strutters walk in and try and run off the first tom. He just leaves and the other two are just standing there waiting to be shot by my gun which is behind me. Luckly those blinds allow you to get away with quite a bit of movement. I reach behind me and find my gun and get it ready. I stick the barrel out the window just as the first tom walks into view, well it turns out to be a jake that has a full fan and about a 2" beard. He got a free pass but the one behind it wasnt so lucky he came into view and just as he does he pops his head up and that was the last thing he did. After I shot the hens flew a little and the jake that was with him ran about 50 yards and went back to strutting. So I waited for them to get out of eyesight of me I went and claimed my prize. It turned out to be the second biggest turkey that I have ever taken.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:08 PM
Fork Horn

Way to go ksfowler. CONGRATES Do you still have a tag?
I will get it posted in the contest thread.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have one tag left. I am hoping to use it this coming week. I may break out the old compound. Good luck to anyone going tomorrow or this evening.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

Way to go ksfowler,and another for the machine I mean captain!!!!
By my figures that puts at 6 birds total now .
camokenny-5
ksfowler-1
and a 2 bird team score of 143
and 6 bird total of 366.8750
Does this sound right to you camokenny?
I have been out every chance I have had with no luck on a Bearded bird.
I have called in 25 hens to date this season.
Have 6 days left to get one so i will be out there trying my hardest .
Old 04-26-2010, 02:42 AM
Fork Horn

mud, just keep trying you never know when it is going to happen.
Where did the rest of our team go? We have only had 3 of our members posting here for awhile.

I got to thinking about my season so far after taking that mo. bird and I have only carried a gun for 14 hours so far this spring and have taken 5 longbeards with 2 to go. It might be my best spring in 32 years of hunting the mighty gobbler.

Hows the rest of the team doing this spring?
Old 04-26-2010, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well the opening three days in IL were a bust! Weather was hot, the Tom's were henned up from the time they hit the ground. It didn't help that the other two hunters on this public piece were like, eek eeek eeeek every two minutes! Talk about calling too much! Saw a few hens and one jake.

Leaving on Wed for 5 days in Wisconsin hope the Toms are horny and lonely!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.