Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2010 Turkey Contests
Team #1 Last Gobble  - 2009 Champions >

Team #1 Last Gobble - 2009 Champions

Community

Team #1 Last Gobble - 2009 Champions

Old 04-27-2010, 05:17 PM
Spike

Congrats to all who has taken a bird.Still trying hard and been busy working on my first truck get to start driving next month.Good luck guys.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:47 AM
Typical Buck

One SHot

Please post a picture of that turkey. How long was the third beard??

MC

Originally Posted by oneshotgilly
I sent the stats to mouthcaller, so here they are as promised. 18lbs, matching 1" spurs, and two 10.5 inch beards with a third skinny little beard on the way. What a rush it was calling in two birds this morning. Just when all hope was gone and they had shut up on me a few times they finally came in. I had looked at a thread yesterday someone had asked how many years it took for people to get their fist bird. The largest response was three years. I guess that is the lucky number because this is my third year hunting turkeys. Go Team#1

One shot was all it took.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:53 PM
Spike

Okay so here are the pictures. I'm new at this so I'm going on what the guy told me when I checked in the Bird. It was 18lbs then he told me it was 10.5" double beard with one inch spurs. But it also has another little beard, in the picture you can see it. Does that little beard count also? I Hope that I put my stats in correct, if not maybe you guys can set me straight.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

that beard is longer than 10.5", its measured from the base to the tip of the longest single strand. I can can see strands that are wavy reaching 10.5, straighten them out when you measure use the longest single strand.

The little beard does count, but I wonder if that's what the guy was referring to when he told you double beard? Are there two separate defined bases to the big beard? Its hard to tell from the photo but it looks like just one. If the big beard is really two beards then you have a triple bearded turkey, measure all three, if the large one only originates from one base its a double beard , big one and small one, measure both.

Congrats on a great bird.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

nice bird and keep it up team
Old 04-28-2010, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey oneshot, just to clarify what I was talking about, here is a pic of my double from last year. They are close together but you can see that there are two distinct beards. If the bases of your long one are like this you have a triple, but if the big one only has one base its a double.
If the big beard is two based and your bird is a triple measure all three carefully, and re-measure your spurs to 1/8 ". You could be a contender for highest scoring bird in the contest. Either way its a high scoring turkey.
Congrats again, glad your on our team.
Attached Thumbnails Team #1 Last Gobble  - 2009 Champions-trophies.jpg  

Last edited by tschaef; 04-28-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:44 PM
Spike

Okay I took more pictures of the Beard. I have a couple of beards that I got from a friend. The base from my bird is twice the size of these beards. It looks like the big beard is one large base it measures 11" to the longest single strand. The little beard measures 6 5/8" to the single longest strand. I also have the pictures of the spurs up. One is clearly 1" long. The other is 1 1/16" do you round that up the the nearest 1/8"? I do want to thank you all as I'm new at this scoring stuff.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oneshot, looking at the this pic I think we'd have a hard time arguing a triple, your bird has one giant paintbrush of a beard and a sweet kicker to make him a double. And my bad, measurements are to 1/16, I'm a metric Canadian.
Tom, (captain Mouthcaller) knows a lot more than I, but I see your bird scoring 73.875, VERY nice for the team. Most toms are 45-65 pts.
Thats 4 for us so far Everyone, lets keep the momentum going!
Old 04-29-2010, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Birds are henned up hard in VA.

Hunted wednesday and today (Thurs). Heard five diff birds gobble about 100 times in total on the limb yesterday... hit the ground and might have heard 10 gobbles the rest of the day. Went after one of them... hen took him away down the field. Once agian... on the other side of the swamp.

This morning I hunted the property my dad shot his wompus turkey at opening day. He has been back once since then and let a 2 yo bird go. Not knowing the property, I went where I was told. Didn't hear a turkey, see a turkey, see a turkey track, find a turkey feather, or step in a pile of turkey crap.... Nada. Nothing. Dad worked a bird that he described as one of the biggest he has ever seen. Called him across a cattle pasture to a fence at 80 yards... bird wouldn't go under the fence of course. Pops is convinced this bird is substantially larger than the one he killed opening day.

Only action I had this morning was a coyote chased a rabbit out into the path. Rabbit went stroking by me and I had the gun up cause I saw the thing coming out. Yote stopped in the middle of the damn road... and I had one big pine I left intentionally between me and the road so I could make a quick adjustment if a bird walked in from out in front. Thats what the yote stopped behind and all I could see was his tail and a back leg. I was expecting him to go at one of my decoys or chase after the rabbit he had flushed out... but instead he turned tail and went straight back away from there.... which wasn't very sportsmanlike of him.

Two weeks left... this has been the second worst (cause last year when I only got to hunt once was way worse) season I've ever experienced. Had a slam dunk on the first hunt and have not seen or worked a bird in the 8 or 9 hunts since then. Been hunting in some awesome places too.... hopefully my luck will turn before the season runs out... get to start hunting hunting all day in May.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:57 AM
Spike

TS, 73.875 is what I came up with last night on the NWTF website. I believe it to be just one wide as you say (paintbrush) size beard. 73.875 Is what it should be then. I will PM mouthcaller and let him know. Thanks agian.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.