Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2010 Turkey Contests
Team #1 Last Gobble  - 2009 Champions >

Team #1 Last Gobble - 2009 Champions

Community

Team #1 Last Gobble - 2009 Champions

Old 04-16-2010, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Team

Firstly, my sincere apologies for not posting lately. Big shakeup at our company this past week with several of my colleagues across the country being shown the door. Fortunately I survived, though I was transferred to the neuroscience/psych division. I don't like it but my options are not very abundant in this economy.

I still haven't killed a bird yet and is starting to get under my skin. Ok, it's worse than that, it is starting to keep me up at night. Been close many times with a different reason each time. Some were my fault for trying to get too close, hens cut me off several times. and once a cropduster started spraying an adjacent field and turning that dang thing right over the top of me and a hot bird this past Sunday. That turkey never made another peep, and he was gobbling his fool head off prior to the P-57 showing up.

We have had a weird spring in TN with incredibly hot days. A front is supposed to move in tonight and cool thing off a bit. Turkey's are starting to get right and I will stay after them hard.

I want to see a flopper, bad. Real bad

Congrats Hog on your bird. Nice job.

Anybody heard from Fl Huntress yet?

Swamp ==> Happens to everybody. I've done it too.

MC
Old 04-17-2010, 05:06 AM
Fork Horn

Ok dad please dont post as me. Anywho yea the season is a little tough but I am happy with all the encounters. Hopefully one will have an encounter with Hevi. 13 #5,#6,#7's!
Old 04-18-2010, 01:38 PM
Fork Horn

Opening Day Tomorrow WOOOHOOOO. Can't wait. Keep you all informed. Later and good luck
Old 04-18-2010, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome, good luck Pins!

The others all think that we are has-beens, what they don't know is we are just getting started!
Lets get out there and repeat boys and girl!
Old 04-19-2010, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by doall hunter
Hey Team

Firstly, my sincere apologies for not posting lately. Big shakeup at our company this past week with several of my colleagues across the country being shown the door. Fortunately I survived, though I was transferred to the neuroscience/psych division. I don't like it but my options are not very abundant in this economy.

I still haven't killed a bird yet and is starting to get under my skin. Ok, it's worse than that, it is starting to keep me up at night. Been close many times with a different reason each time. Some were my fault for trying to get too close, hens cut me off several times. and once a cropduster started spraying an adjacent field and turning that dang thing right over the top of me and a hot bird this past Sunday. That turkey never made another peep, and he was gobbling his fool head off prior to the P-57 showing up.

We have had a weird spring in TN with incredibly hot days. A front is supposed to move in tonight and cool thing off a bit. Turkey's are starting to get right and I will stay after them hard.

I want to see a flopper, bad. Real bad

Congrats Hog on your bird. Nice job.

Anybody heard from Fl Huntress yet?

Swamp ==> Happens to everybody. I've done it too.

MC

I didn't notice the MC at the bottom until you pointed it out doall.... I thought you were talkinga bout neuroscience and psych and I'm sitting here thinking.... wait a minute... I thought he was still in High school..... thought you might of needed to change your name to Doogie!

Well... came back from the farm yesterday. I'm supposed to be hunting today, but the weather is ridiculously cold and windy.... thats what we encountered in the mountains also.... didn't see or hear birds either day we hunted. Glassed a few struting way off on a distant hill far off our land. The wind really had us messed up. I don't know this place all that well and was kind of relying on the intel from my girlfriends brother and his best friend who have been hunting there all their lives and go to Va Tech about 30 minutes away. I am sure they put us in a good place, but as I wrote, the wind had them low and not talking.

As it turns out... the guy who I encountered on my first hunt does have permission to hunt the place. Apparently, he only bow hunts, but he also (so I've found out) hunts almost every day of the season. I haven't heard a bird on the property save the one I shot at since the season has opened.

On Thursday morning, he was set up not 75 yards from where I had shot the day before. I went back to about the same place, hoping the birds might still travel through. Considering that he is set up RIGHT SLAM UNDER the trees they usually roost in... no wonder they have dispersed.

I am fairly down about it... because I had these birds pegged. Nothing I can do about him, it sucks that he is overhunting it.... I don't think he will hurt the population much (this coming from some of the other folks I share the place with), but the pressure is going to keep the birds away. Its only abouty 150 acres... and he is right were the birds either roost or cross the swamp to access the place. He has been hunting the place for years... as he pointed out... and he wasn't there the first day I hunted (meaning he wasn't that close to me). Apparently he has deducted that I'm on to something.... frankly... I usually try to be, that is the point after all.

I'm still a bit burned about the miss last week... it is looking like that may well have been the golden chance I was looking for.... as I haven't even worked a bird in the four hunts since. It comes in waves sometimes... I'm keeping the chin up... got a hunt with my best friend later this week... and there is still a month worth of season.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:01 PM
Spike

Opening day for me on Friday
Old 04-19-2010, 03:50 PM
Fork Horn

Went out this morning and had a great morning. Had 5 birds come in right off the bat and let my buddy in the blind wack one since he had never shot a turkey with a bow. I got them in to ole about 5 to 7 yards and let him rage one. It didn't go far and couldn't drop the call quick enough to wack one of the other jakes. Then later that morning had two nice longbeards hang up just out of range. I just put out my widow maker hen decoy and should have used my b-moblie. Oh well probably head back out in the morning. Good luck team.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:07 PM
Fork Horn

Well, Went out Sunday and had a great day. But didn't get one. On the way to our place we decided to split up.I went to the south part of the of the property and he went to the east side (roughly). Early didnt hear anything so I get up in a box stand just to start. Just as I sit down, GOBBLE GOBBLE. Right behind me, good, good. Turns out I only hear 3, thats low considering grandpa has seen 40 gobbblers at once. They shutup at daylight and I think, "Well then I guess I am going to do some walking today." I look up to my right and bam there is one heading straight for my dekes at 150 to 100 to 80. Trying to get my gun up slowly I am thinking finally, I just know it will work out. He gets to 80 yds turns around and walks back to about 150. Um okay thats not suppose to happen. Hen walks out, but he seems to not pay to much attention to her. Well he walks out to atleast 400 yds and struts for about 30 minutes. After he walks into the woods I wait 15 minutes. Get out and start to get my dekes lokk up and there he is again. I hit the deck and miracoulsy do not spook him. He walks into a place that I know well. I sneak up and there the hen is. I dont think I spooked her so I'm okay. Look around the corner and there he is in his pride and glory right smack in the middle of the field. He walks to off and I fiqure he is in the woods and is going down a ridge. So 20 mins later I walk into the field and.. wingbeats. AHHHHH. Turns out he decided to camp out in the weeds and the let me spook him. That stinks. Nothing the rest of the dayand nothing to show. And again I say better luck next weekend.

Last edited by doall hunter; 04-19-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:13 AM
Typical Buck

i finally scored...awesome first eastern but didn't score very well because he was missing a spur...i'll post pics and the story up later but right now i'm exhausted but i wanted y'all to know.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:20 AM
Typical Buck

copy and paste of the stats....pics to come....i thought i got a second wind but i was wrong...night y'all...lol.

South Carolina - my very 1st eastern!!!
April 16th
25 yard shot
0930et
21 lb`s
10-1/2" beard
7/8" spur & 1/16th inch spur
Score - 51.375

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.