Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2010 Turkey Contests
Team #1 Last Gobble  - 2009 Champions >

Team #1 Last Gobble - 2009 Champions

Community

Team #1 Last Gobble - 2009 Champions

Old 04-09-2010, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

VA season opens tmw.

I'll be at work. I don't mind delayin' the smack down for a few days.

It all break loose on Wednesday morning.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gobbler down!

we headed out this morning at 6:00 a.m. and drove to some public land we have hunted the last few years, and did a hen call and 2 gobblers replied up on the top of a hill, we got up as close as we could without being seen, put a decoy out and started calling. I had my brother sit infront of me by about 30 yards so he could get the bird. so anyways, this gobbler came to about 80 yards and then went up the hill to another little road, so I called for about 2 minutes and then decided to sneak up there because he wasn't comming, I got about 4 feet from the top of the road and this gobbler was comming in, I wasn't calling, but he was comming my way, so I just waited to see what would happen and sure enough, about 4 minutes later he came strutting around the corner to 20 yards and then he raised his head up high like he was looking off the edge for some hens, and I let him have it. He's a nice public land bird! weighs 17 pounds has about a 7 inch beard and has 3/4 spurs! I'll get better pictures up when my brother gets back with the camera. he looks pretty mangled in this picture.
Attached Thumbnails Team #1 Last Gobble  - 2009 Champions-p1070237-copy.jpg  

Last edited by HOGHUNTINGUNLIMITED; 04-10-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:43 PM
Spike

ahhh the first to score. congrats
Old 04-10-2010, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

My father killed the bird of a lifetime this morning.

Long story short... he took a neighbor of ours who is fairly interested in hunting. She does our taxes and has been a family friend for a long time. She isn't quite ready to shoot one yet, but leaped at the chance to go observe.

Dad called in 4 right off the branch... shot him at 25 yards at 650am.

21#s 14oz, matching 1 3/4" hooks, 12.5" beard = NWTF score 81.875

For a typical, one bearded turkey.... its the equivalent of a 200" inch whitetail. I'm freakin' stoked for pops!

I'm going Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Monday (my birthday) over the next ten days. Sat and Monday will be in the mountains... Wed and Thursday here in the tidewater area.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I gotta better picture... right after the shot

Old 04-10-2010, 06:58 PM
Typical Buck

Nice job, HOG.
Swampcollie, that's incredible, any pictures??
Old 04-11-2010, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BigBuck95
Nice job, HOG.
Swampcollie, that's incredible, any pictures??

Not yet. One really ****ty cell pic.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:11 PM
Fork Horn

Great Hog, You finally put us on the board, and Swamp, Dang! You could cut his feet off and use his spurs to catch another 8lb bass!
Old 04-11-2010, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by doall hunter
Great Hog, You finally put us on the board, and Swamp, Dang! You could cut his feet off and use his spurs to catch another 8lb bass!

How about a 30# striper? On a 6'6" bass rod? In the rapids?

Can't hunt on Sunday in VA... so pops and I took my boat and went fishing this morning. The river was a little cloudy, and we thought it might be a bit early in the year, but we hammered the stripers this morning. Probably caught 15 or so... all over 7 pounds.... this is the biggest striper we have ever caught in freshwater... I caught one 34" fish last year... this one was 36" and a touch over 30#s.

Cell phone pic... rather poor quality... but thats what we had. I fought the fish for 15 minutes and had to chase it with the boat... cold water stripers at the end of one of the best urban whitewater stretches in the country ain't nothing to be taken lightly! My arms were so cramped from holding the little rod and working the fish that I couldn't lift the thing up... so I just held her in my lap. Released her to go make some more stripers.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

As promised... here are the better pictures of dad's bird.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.