Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2010 Turkey Contests
Team #1 Last Gobble  - 2009 Champions >

Team #1 Last Gobble - 2009 Champions

Team #1 Last Gobble - 2009 Champions

Old 04-03-2010, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

April 26 till the end on May.
I'll be out there 5 weekends for sure, if nothing happens by the third I may arrange to use some vacation time.
Old 04-04-2010, 05:14 PM
Fork Horn

Well this a little late but who cares. Anywho opening morn (Sat.) we get down there at about 5:30. its raining and windy. Well isnt that fantastic. So after everything quits and we start to get goin it is about 6:45. As we are packin up ready to start moving I hear one sound off. (Dad didnt but he is a little, uh "seasoned") After I tell him and he gives a round of crow calls he sounds off again. Well maybe a little salvation to a bad morning is what I am thinkn. So after flollowing a ridge and going through a pine thicket we get to at the most 200 yards and he is in the middle of the prettiest, mature growth bottom you have ever seen. When we set up and actually make turkey sounds we dont hear from him again. Well we think we spooked him. It's early season and there is no leaves on he trees so we guess he saw us. Needless to say we walk aorund trying to get on another one but no such luck. Oh well I have all week. Maybe a little better luck.

P.S. I am just kidding dad you are an exellent turkey hunter and one of the best I will ever know.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

My season opens this weekend.... hopefully the weathers good to get the birds moving and making noise! I've seen some nice toms, but we'll see how things go. debating weather to try with the bow or gun!?
Old 04-04-2010, 11:38 PM
Typical Buck

sorry i've been mia....hopefully everyone is out killin' turkeys...i came close twice but they both hung up at 75yds...i may get another chance for an osceola tomorrow otherwise i have to wait until thursday when i head up to sc...hope everyone had a wonderful easter sunday!!
Old 04-05-2010, 08:05 AM
Fork Horn

HOG, Go with a gun! But if you do go with the bow ou should get five poins added to your toms score for style!
Old 04-05-2010, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Really? They give out points for bow hunting this year? or thats what they should do?

It depends on if I hunt public or private land... I probably will go with the gun, because I think we are going on public land.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:40 AM
Fork Horn

They Should hog, btw. Well I guess I am the updater for El padre and I, So Tuesday nothing much we half get on one but he has hens so it was not a good day.

Wendsay we go out to a place in Hardeman county and we walk to a place to listen. We hear one against the wind and start after him after we walk 250 yards he gobbles again and he is close. So we set up. Perfect setup, up to a tree that is on a road and a field. I cover the field if he flys down that way dad has the road if he flys down to another field and walks down the road. After we sit down he gobbles once an never again. We never see him or hear him fly down or anything. No idea were he went. So we go to the back corner of the property were I killed my first bird, and nothing. Then we split up. Dad has everything west of a creek that goes through the middle of the property I have everything east. I walk to this powerline and prepare to set up. Just as I am doing that I hear a gobble, move my dekes, look up there is one standing 400 yards away lookin at me. I crawl into the woods and don't spook him. Turns out its at least 2 gobblers and a few jakes. I call them all the way down to the creek I talked about earlier. They were about 50 yards as a crow flies but as one walks about 100. They would not cross the creek. I tried everything, kee-kees, fighting purrs, cuts, clucks, purrs, they did not want to cross the creek. so they just took a left and well left. So that was pretty much it.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

At least you are seeing birds! I don't know how its gonna bee out here for the opening day... I guess we'll have to wait 1 more day and find out! lol hopefully it good! good luck to everyone
Old 04-08-2010, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm still weeks away, And its sounding like I'll be out of town working for a lot of the season so may be reduced to weekends only and not many sneaky mornings or early knockoff afternoons like I usually am able to pull off.
On the bright side my pattern is sweet, and its warming up here and birds are spreading out. Guns are sighted in and been practicing with the vertical bow. Still have to pull out the crossbow and sight it in. If the bolts go past the foot stirrup may pick up a guillotine to try with it because we can't use gun on sundays.
Good luck and have fun to all that are out there already.
Cheers
Old 04-09-2010, 02:52 PM
Spike

Does anyone else hunt pubic land? I realized that I have the third season in Illinois and not the second. The birds will most likely be scattered a bit after being shot at for two weeks. What is the etiquette for scouting during someones season. I don't wanna walk up on someone and ruin their hunt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.