Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2010 Turkey Contests
Team #1 Last Gobble  - 2009 Champions >

Team #1 Last Gobble - 2009 Champions

Team #1 Last Gobble - 2009 Champions

Old 03-10-2010, 05:58 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SwampCollie
Can we put a big gaudy Burger King-esque crown on our turkey as well just to remind everyone who is on the throne?
I like it. The gaudier the bettter.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:13 PM
Spike

I know you guys all know each other from last year for the most part, but do you think it would be ok if everyone wrote a little about themselves like what state they are from and how long they have been hunting/how they got into hunting. I know it sounds like kindergarten all over again, but I am pretty interested.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Tom, want me to send a PM to the new guys? I can see where they are told that they are on our team in a thread, but not sure if they will check back there or if they are expecting to be contacted.

Outdoor, no problem, thats what this is all about.
I'm Trevor, 38yr old Environmental Consultant in Toronto, Ont. I've always been in the suburbs but have country in my veins from my moms side, my uncles would take me hunting from about 13 on.
I'm fairly new to Turkey hunting as they are still being re-introduced up here, I have hunted them 5 yrs. I got really lucky last year but I've been skunked before too.
My season is last week April - end of May. We get 2 tags but can't use them both same day. I will take a jake if opportunity presents itself, but hopefully I can take a decent Tom with one of my tags. I only got the one bird last year, but he was a beauty.
I typically hunt a friends 100 acre hobby farm, if the birds aren't around I can hunt some public forests, but really prefer to hang out in a ground blind over running and gunning.
Don't be shy, tell us some about yourself too.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:31 PM
Typical Buck

Trev

Please feel free to reach out to the new guys. I expected them to be in the team thread by now but they may not know it is here.

Appreciate all the help lately. Been traveling a lot this week. I nominate you for Vice-Captain. After we win this thing again I'll gladly pass the captainship to you for 2011.

You suggested recently that I should post the summary of our team's year that I wrote at the conclusion of last years contest. Good idea. That should bring back good memories for the team and give the new guys some information about our '09 season. I'll dig that up and get it posted here in the team thread.

MC

Last edited by mouthcaller; 03-11-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mouthcaller
Appreciate all the help lately. Been traveling a lot this week. I nominate you for Vice-Captain. After we win this thing again I'll gladly pass the captainship to you for 2011.
MC
Yeah right. I may have the time, and do like tooling around here, but the captain should be an accomplished turkey hunter, like you. I can't put a diaphragm call in my mouth without gagging, and I miss too many sunrises because of the night before with my friends. I got lucky last year, you're the turkey Guru that leads us to victory.

Its easy enough to shoot off PM's because I know a page where both of their names are. I'll get on it.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:17 PM
Typical Buck

Outdoor - please tell us about yourself also.

I'm Tom, 49, a clinical pharmacist by education and training. I work now for a large pharmaceutical company in field medical affairs as a scientific director. I live in Jackson, Tennessee, a town between Nashville and Memphis. I am happily married for 20 years and have four children, two girls and two boys ages 17 to 4.

Hunting has always been a big part of my live from early childhood. My father and uncle ran a waterfowl guiding operation at Reelfoot Lake in NW Tennessee where I grew up. It is a "famous" lake on the Mississippi flyway created by a massive earthquake in 1811-1812. I guided and worked in the operation through high school, college, and pharmacy/post grad school. At that time we had no deer or turkeys to hunt.

2010 will be my 30th successive turkey season. I really can't believe it's been that long. The spring of 1981 marked my first turkey hunt to a wildlife management in E. Tennessee not far from Knoxville where I was an undergratuate student. In those days there were very few turkeys and even fewer hunters in our state. If you heard a couple of turkeys gobble you had a good season. In the subsequent years I hunted Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia and Missouri while our flock in TN grew from basically nothing to great turkey hunting all across the state. It didn't take long to become obsessed with turkey hunting, as I am still today. Now I only hunt Tennessee with a busy job and large family taking most of my time. With a 4 turkey bag limit I see no reason to venture across state lines anymore.

I hunted mostly with my father and a friend who was both a great friend and turkey hunter. My dad and I have spent many many memorable times together chasing these birds across Tennessee and Missouri, camping in the woods or getting up at a rediculous hour to get there before the first owl hoot. Now I am trying to live up to my responsibility to create those same memories with my son Peter (doall hunter) and eventually my 4 year old son Joseph. I must say that we are off to a pretty good start, but I'll let Peter tell you about some of those.

These days I love to hunt deer and coyotes (really getting into coyote hunting), ocassionally waterfowl. My passion, however, is and will always be, spring turkey hunting. Nothing gets my juices flowing than a crisp cool spring morning, waiting in the darkness for that first light, then hearing a gobble crack the silence. Game on.

Welcome to the team.

MC
Old 03-11-2010, 06:20 PM
Spike

I am from the suburbs of Chicago, but am currently a senior at U of I at Champaign-Urbana. Nobody in my family hunts. I have always loved fishing and the outdoors so I decided to get into hunting and took the safety class last year. I didn't know anything about hunting, but read up on turkeys instead of studying.
The fall season last year was my first and only. I drove up to my grandparents Michigan house and got amazingly lucky the first day. I was laying under the branch of a pine tree and the turkey actually came around the side of the tree I wasn't watching and was within ten feet so it was an easy shot. Cleaning the bird was interesting. I also hunted with a friend I met from school who has a farm in the Rockford Illinois area. We sat out there for three hours then looked up through camo netting and saw about 12 birds with our decoys and both got one. Since then I have been hooked. I went from one box call to friction/diaphram calls and decoys. I know its a lot different hunting in the spring so hopefully my luck continues. I actually did have a spring tag last year for champaign county, but failed to realize there was no public land to hunt and couldn't go.
That about sums up my turkey hunting career as of now.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:42 PM
Spike

Tschaef it's gotta be cool living in Canada. Having access to a private and public land is always the best. I can defiantly relate to missing sunrises due to late nights with friends and excessive beer drinking.

Mouthcaller I didn't see your post until I replied. That is an awesome turkey hunting resume. It must have been pretty cool to hunt all of those different states. Were they all Easterns or were you able to hunt a different bird? You also mentioned that you hunt deer as well. I just realized that I have an extended aunt who leases out her land to a farmer and nobody hunts. This place is loaded with deer and only thirty minutes away from the university. I was able to get a 16 foot ladder stand for 35 dollars at dicks sporting goods last month. I just applied for the tag there and also cant wait for November to hunt deer for the first time. I was able to figure out how to clean a turkey, but I am a bit nervous about field dressing a deer by myself.

Anyways, I forgot to share my age. I am twenty one and like I said, a senior at U of I. majoring in economics and aviation. I am hoping to join the military when I graduate as a pilot in the reserves to follow in the father's footsteps. One last thing...Is there a way to put a photo album on my profile? If so, how do I view other people's photos?
Old 03-11-2010, 06:42 PM
Typical Buck

Team

Tschaef thought it would be a good idea if I reposted the summary of our 2009 season, and I agree. I posted it in the '09 team forum after it was apparent we had won the contest so maybe not all of our original team had a chance to see it. I agree with Trevor that it would be nice to stroll back down memory lane once again and perhaps would give the new teammembers some background on how we got here.

.................................................. ........................................

You know, I was thinking about the season while driving to a business appointment the other day. Here is a recap:

1. WestonAU gets us started with a 2-year old bird taken in Alabama (Weston is a student at Auburn University). Not a trophy but a solid start to the season. Regrettably this is the last we heard from Weston as he didn't post again.

2. The infamous Florida Huntress tags in with a nice Osceola. I knew she would too.

3. Peter (my son doall hunter) takes an outstanding typical 65 point turkey in the last minutes of the Tennessee youth hunt. Now we are rolling. This was a really good turkey for our area in Tennessee.

4. Huntress tags in with a double-bearded Osceloa, the first of two double bearded turkeys for the team. This 67.5 point turkey put us in the top position in the standings. A great turkey, the first multi-beard turkey for the Huntress..

5. I kill a nice 3-year old on the third day of the Tennessee season.

6. Peter and I tag-team another one four days later.

7. On April 11 Hog kicks in with a two-year old Rio, the first of two.

Nothing happened for the next two weeks until the team closed the season like champs

8. On April25 Peter and I scored again on our best turkey of the season, a 4-year old bird that scored 62.5 points.

9. Tschaef kills an 80 point doublebearded turkey in Canada on May 3. I haveseen a bunch of multi-bearded turkeys in mylife but never with twobeards thatlong on the same turkey. This 80 point bird is almost like two birds. Along with doalls 65, Huntress' 67, and my 62.5 that is 4 really high scoring turkeys. The average for these four was almost 69 points per bird and this is one of two reasons we are in first place today.

10.Hog kills one on May 6 and upgrades his score from his first one. Nice job.

11. Bang Flop steps up to the plate and takes a mature gobbler on May 10. Really big for the team to get anotherteammate on the board.

12. Pinsapex7 finally puts the bow down (just kidding Pex) and shoots a superjake on May 17. Initally he seemed disappointed with the jake but this is actually the turkey that puts us out front. Without this bird Pex we would be in second place now.

So, my conclusions for why we are currently in first place are:

1. The combination of two high scoring double beards (Huntress and Tschaef) andtwo more high-scoring typicals (doall and me) over 62 points.

plus

2. We had 8 huntersscore at least one bird each.We are the only teamin the contest with 8hunters killing a turkey

the fact that Weston, Hog and Bangflop all killed mature turkeys

and

Pinsapex7 stays with it, doesn't give up,and tags a superjake on the last weekend of the season put us over the top.

NICE JOB TEAM 21, THE LASTGOBBLE !!!!!!
Old 03-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by outdoorillin46D
Tschaef it's gotta be cool living in Canada. Having access to a private and public land is always the best. I can defiantly relate to missing sunrises due to late nights with friends and excessive beer drinking.

Mouthcaller I didn't see your post until I replied. That is an awesome turkey hunting resume. It must have been pretty cool to hunt all of those different states. Were they all Easterns or were you able to hunt a different bird? You also mentioned that you hunt deer as well. I just realized that I have an extended aunt who leases out her land to a farmer and nobody hunts. This place is loaded with deer and only thirty minutes away from the university. I was able to get a 16 foot ladder stand for 35 dollars at dicks sporting goods last month. I just applied for the tag there and also cant wait for November to hunt deer for the first time. I was able to figure out how to clean a turkey, but I am a bit nervous about field dressing a deer by myself.

Anyways, I forgot to share my age. I am twenty one and like I said, a senior at U of I. majoring in economics and aviation. I am hoping to join the military when I graduate as a pilot in the reserves to follow in the father's footsteps. One last thing...Is there a way to put a photo album on my profile? If so, how do I view other people's photos?

All Easterns. Peter wants to go an a Merriam hunt someday - if he is fortunate to graduate from high school maybe I'll make that happen

Can't help you with your ? about photo albums. I use photobucket.com as my internet site for image banking. It's free.

MC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.