Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2010-2011 Turkey Contests
Team 13 - 12 Gauge Turkey Chokers >

Team 13 - 12 Gauge Turkey Chokers

Team 13 - 12 Gauge Turkey Chokers

Old 03-26-2011, 07:49 PM
Typical Buck

Bowshot, I hunted turkeys for 3 years with a bow before I went to a shotgun. 1st of all, turkey hunting is ALWAYS tough, but exciting. A shotgun is not the cure for the disease of turkey hunting, but for me it makes it easier to set up and move quickly. There is more work required to set up for the bow. Bow hunting adds pressure to hunting an excited Tom more than anything. For me, turkey hunting isn't so much about the kill as it is about the encounter.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

Welcome bowshot. Good luck.
Have you been out scouting at all?
Are you hunting private or public land?

John
Old 03-27-2011, 03:12 PM
Typical Buck

Sorry about the bad luck born again, just keep on going hunting persistence pays off and when it all comes together its that much sweeter. How long is your season?
Old 03-28-2011, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Arjuna
Bowshot, I hunted turkeys for 3 years with a bow before I went to a shotgun. 1st of all, turkey hunting is ALWAYS tough, but exciting. A shotgun is not the cure for the disease of turkey hunting, but for me it makes it easier to set up and move quickly. There is more work required to set up for the bow. Bow hunting adds pressure to hunting an excited Tom more than anything. For me, turkey hunting isn't so much about the kill as it is about the encounter.
Nice job on the bird! Can't wait to hear the story.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:13 AM
Fork Horn

The florida season ends April 24th.
I went out again yesterday and we got on a bird. He gobbled like crazy in the morning and then hit the ground and shut up.
We scouted around a little after and found several pieces of fresh tape, so we think that bird was hit hard on the previous 5 days of the hunt.
He wanted nothing to do with us. At least I did not see any other hunters in the woods. Going back next Friday and Saturday with my daughter and give it another try.

Who else is hunting on the team? My season will be over soon and some of you guys will just be getting started.

John

Last edited by bornagain64; 03-28-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:54 PM
Typical Buck

Ok guys, it looks like we are in the lead right now ( a long way to go to win the contest, though!)

So, here is the story of bird number 1:

I had taken this guy from Indiana to a place I can hunt in Fort Deposit, AL. I left the house at 3:30 a.m. to get in the woods by 6. We drove the 2 and a half hours and made it just as the sky was lightening up. We had a bird gobbling but he got henned up pretty quick. We ran all over that property till 11 a.m. and then he drove back down to Florida to see his mom and I went to meet another guy on his hunt club an hour away.

My buddy is the president of a 24 year old hunt club that is just amazing. It was 6,800 acres and had 68 food plots. (No chufas, though for all u purists!) Anyway, I laid down for a little bit and we went out to roost some birds. He dropped me off at about 4 p.m. and he went to another food plot. Since, I had seen some strutting in the middle of the afternoon, I recreated the scene with Killer-B and three hens. I picked the second row deep of planted pines to sit and listen. I yelped a couple of times on a glass because it was so windy. I looked at my watch: 4:17 p.m. I decided to take a nap.
I woke up and decided to have a look-see. There he was. He was walking just past the decoys coming my way. I picked up my Benelli and blasted him. It took about 5 seconds from seeing him to watching him flop. ...short hunt...Then I looked at my watch...4:30 p.m. Wow!

I pack up my stuff and wait for my friend....BOOOM.
He drives up 5 min later with his own bird: 9 3/4" beard, 18 lbs, and 1" spurs

We clean the birds and go try to roost some birds that evening. I hear a few fly up, but no gobbles.

The next morning we set up in a green field where I heard some fly up the night before.

At daylight there is a bird gobbling his head off, but he is like, half a mile away. We ditch the decoys and drive as close as we can to him. My buddy gets in the greenfield that he thinks the bird will come to. I set up at the intersection of the crossroads where I think he will come. I start calling and he loves it. The short version is that he flew down in the woods with some other birds. He stepped out at 75 yards or so and was followed by two other toms...I was stoked. I had to shoot through some privet and other small stuff but figured I had time for him as he would probably strut and show off down that road. Well, I was wrong. As that last Tom stepped out of the woods, the lead bird took off in a spring straight to me. I figured he would slow down at the intersection, but he rounded it like a baseball player going for second. I was swinging my gun on him when he jumped up for flight right in front of me. I shot as he started soaring and missed clean....I guess my jellyhead choke at 5 yards is a little too tight!
Old 03-30-2011, 12:10 PM
Fork Horn

Swampbuster when does your season start?

Arjuna great story, I love those short naps in the woods.

I am hoping this weekend to get on some more birds. I am taking my daughter hunting this weekend, a double would be awsome.

John
Old 03-30-2011, 03:21 PM
Typical Buck

Wow! What a great story Arjuna that gets me fired up. This morning on my way to work I saw one strutting in a field close by my house. I used to hunt that area a few years ago, I might have to see if I can still hunt the area.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great story! I love it.

My season opens on Friday. We're gonna try and roost some birds Thursday afternoon if the rain will hold off. I can't wait to get in the woods!
Old 03-31-2011, 03:09 PM
Typical Buck

Bornagain my season opens April 16th. April 12th I am going to Kansas for the opener which is the 13th, and hopefully I might be able to hunt with my friend who lives in Oklahoma. Get back home and hunt around the house. I cant wait!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.