Community

Team 11 Roost Raiders

Old 04-09-2011, 04:52 PM
Typical Buck

Talondale,

Congratulations, great bird and good story. Hope you fill that other tag. I've had 2 more close calls, but that don't feed the babies, but having a ball and you do. Got to love it.

dog1
Old 04-10-2011, 07:15 AM
Typical Buck

Hey dog1 glad to see your still at it and having a good time. I am heading down to Georgia tonight. They way I hear it the weather was terrible or when the weather was good the birds were acting weird. Guess we'll just have to shake 'em up next week. Yee! Haw!
Old 04-10-2011, 01:45 PM
Typical Buck

Hey Timbrhuntr,

What area of Ga. will you be hunting? I'm 70 miles south of Macon (Wilcox county). For 4 or 5 days they were gobbling in every direction, since the bad weather this past week they have really slowed down. Only hearing one or 2 birds a day and far away.

I've been dogging one for the past 3 days and I'm beat. I made up my mine to follow him this morning and he's leaving our area and going onto the next property then goes quiet. The owners of that land don't hunt turkeys, just wild hogs and they have about 20 feeders out, and from what I can tell, that's when the bird quits gobbling, when he gets to a feeder on the property line. I've tried every trick I know and can't turn him, so now I'm going try to catch him when he comes back late to roost.

The weather down here is hot, it was 93 degrees at noon, right now it's 88. Becareful, on my way out of our property I killed a diamondback rattle snake, 64 inches, 10 rattlers and a button. Hope you have snake boots.

Good luck,
dog1
Old 04-10-2011, 02:15 PM
Typical Buck

dog1,

I am going to be in Washington county. Never hunted in Georgia before and wish you guys would cut it with the snake stuff. And yes I went to cabelas in Michigan and bought a pair of Danner snake boots. They thought I was crazy and had to order them in . I have never been afraid of snakes but all we have here are garters, fox, hog nose, racers etc nothing that can kill you . We do have a massasauga rattler that has bit a few near where I live but I have never seen one .
Good luck next week with the one you are after !
Old 04-10-2011, 03:29 PM
Typical Buck

Timbrhuntr, Washington county is about 100 miles north of me and they do have rattlesnakes. As a matter of fact, a friend that lives in Louisville, GA about 50 miles from Sandersville, was turkey hunting with a friend last year. He said it had turned real cold that night and they was in the woods waiting on daylight. When it got light enough he walked off from his friend and then his friend fired his gun. He hurried back to him, and the guy had shot a rattler that was laying next to his feet. They said the snake had to be between them while waiting and only thing they can fiqure was, that it was so cold the snake couldn't move. He said it had to be there while they waited on light.

Now wouldn't that spoil your day.

They are down here because of the land, high land (timber and farm land & swamp land). We actually have 5 poisnous ones in our area, copperhead, diamondback, timber rattler, cotton mouth, & coral snake. I grew up here and have never seen a coral snake around here.

Now don't let this spoil your hunt, just act like they are furniture and walk around them.

dog1
Old 04-11-2011, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Talondale! I'm assuming that was an eastern, so as long as thats true I got your bird posted. Just let me know if I need to change that. Just wasn't 100% sure where you were hunting but pretty sure VA? Awesome bird though!! Way to go and great story!

Last edited by jepcho; 04-11-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dog1
Now don't let this spoil your hunt, just act like they are furniture and walk around them.

dog1
You guys are crazy! Dont get me wrong, I have always wanted to turkey hunt down south and someday, when I finish school, I will, but the snake thing will definitly affect how I'm gonna hunt down there! Yikes!! lol.

By the way, just got a pm from arrowmaster and the stickers are in the mail headed my way, so the sooner you pm me your mailing addresses the sooner I can get them out.

Snakes.....No thanks man
Old 04-12-2011, 07:07 AM
Fork Horn

Season starts tommorow!!
Old 04-12-2011, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jepcho
Congrats Talondale! I'm assuming that was an eastern, so as long as thats true I got your bird posted. Just let me know if I need to change that. Just wasn't 100% sure where you were hunting but pretty sure VA? Awesome bird though!! Way to go and great story!
Thanks jepcho. Yeah, it's an eastern. Looks like we've got to turn up the heat to catch up with team 8.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:32 AM
Typical Buck

Default When to Quit!

Normally, if I'm after a bird and he won't commit, I move on to another, but I've been on one for 7 days now, had him close 3 times and hens came in and took him away. Kind of like hunting a trophy buck, hate to quit, know he's nearby. Well, after today, and again, hens took him away. It's a pride thing, want to kill him so bad, but realize, he will not come to my calling. However, has been a ball. Maybe tomorrow I'll try a different piece of property, who knows. I must admit, since our season on March 26th, I'm whipped physically, just hate to give up. I know I should move on to another bird, but I also know, sooner or later he'll mess up.

dog1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.