Community

Team 3 The Turkey Thugs

Old 04-21-2011, 02:23 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Well our Captain needs to report our scores.

JW
Old 04-24-2011, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

I was just getting ready to say the same thing. We have two birds to enter here!
Old 04-25-2011, 02:23 PM
Fork Horn

Mooky puts up an Ohio gobbler for team 3

Today started out wet, but the showers ended just as I left to get to my spot. I found several birds gobbling late on the roost, way down below the ridge I was on. I closed to within 200 yards which was as far as I dared go. Made one series of calls, not another gobble to be heard. knowing that the boss had been spotted earlier in the week I was not happy about it, but not surprised at the abrupt silence.
I set up in a natural travel corridor/funnel between two hidden fields. I put out a decoy in the woods as they were wide open, and too easy for a gobbler to close to 60-80 yards and insist on seeing something. I seldom use a decoy these days, but there was little green up to be had. I had a small rise about 50 yards out, and I would have preferred forcing the gobbler to show up closer while taking a look.
45 minutes of very sporadic soft clucks, purrs and very light yelping, Lots of silence in the calling sequence this morning. I then spotted a gobbler coming my way. Short moments later, there was two, all of a sudden, three gobblers closing the distance. The lead bird was the largest, and semi strutted. The second one, had a rope for a beard. A light cluck-yelp lit the first gobbler right up. He immediately went into full strut, with his head turning brilliant white, every bit the same as turning on a light switch.
Mere seconds, the lead bird walked a few more a steps and stopped at 26 paces. Folding up his fan, he put his head straight up, The holosight was already trained on my florescent target, and that was all she wrote. although the gobbler was still wet from being rained on, he managed to roll back into a little creek just the same. The other two gobblers exited quickly at the shot, I will return to roost tonight to hopeful locate them, and or the boss gobbler.
The gobbler weighed 20lbs 11 oz, swung a 10.25 beard, and sported 1-1/8 & 1-1/16 spurs. A solid 3 year old gobbler

Your score is 20.6875 + 11.25 + 10.625 + 20.5 = 63.0625

Mike - your picture would not load so I fixed it. ~ JW

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by JW; 04-25-2011 at 04:37 PM. Reason: added score and fixed the picture
Old 04-25-2011, 03:28 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Hi Mike - atta boy and will be a nice score.

I leave tomorrow afternoon for a whorl wind tour.
I hunt Wisc and hope to bag on in 2 days - help my nephew for a day and a half and then leave for an army base to hunt next week and hope to bag a bird in 2 days so I can move to my next spot. Then a day or so and.........home to pay bills only to leave again!

JW

Last edited by JW; 04-25-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:12 PM
JW
Super Moderator

It's not posted yet but we climbed right up there to 7th place for best bird contest.

Each of us just needs to enter as a team so go get em boys!

JW
Old 04-26-2011, 06:26 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats mookyj!! Thanks for taking time to share the story with us. Good luck on bagging one of the others that was tagging along.

JW, was that for best single bird or team score?
Old 04-26-2011, 06:36 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Ya best single bird per hunter. That is where we are 7th. The last 2 yrs the team I was on had the most birds but I think that might be out of our control. 1 hunter has 9 kills already.

JW
Old 04-26-2011, 09:28 AM
Fork Horn

Hey, that would be me then!!!
Old 04-28-2011, 09:46 PM
Fork Horn

All scores been report
Sorry guys

Turkey hunt been slow here in ILL rain all week.But I did get a jake.I hope get a bigger bird this weekend.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:35 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for checking back in with us and congrats on the harvest.

I hope to bag my second bird this weekend. The weather looks good for tomorrow morning. I am going back after the bird that I missed last week.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.