Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2010-2011 Turkey Contests
Team 10 - Those Flockin Gobblers >

Team 10 - Those Flockin Gobblers

Community

Team 10 - Those Flockin Gobblers

Old 04-30-2011, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Well this will more than likely be my last morning hunt. I couldn't get them to come over to public for nothing. I did go back there this evening and on a bright side there were more birds there but the Tom went to the other side of the private green field. I did have 5 jakes and 15 or so hens roost about 30 yards from where I was sitting.

I'm gonna try to get as close as I can and try to catch them when the come off the roost If nothing by 8 or so I'll high tail it back to the other spot and try to pull one as they leave the hens.

I may not get the bird this year but it has been a ton of fun striking out.. Got to hear a tom drumming for the first time and watched one breed for the first time. And I almost forgot had a hawk attack she-mobile. If it can fool him it is good enough for me...

Good luck all who are still out..
Old 04-30-2011, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hate to see you may not get a bird this year kelly, but if you're satisfied with your season then I'm happy for ya! I have never heard a tom drum and I've never seen them mating. Maybe someday. Hoping the best for ya if you're still heading out!

DTC, that son of yours got more birds in 1 day than I have in the last 4 years Happy for him!!
Old 05-01-2011, 05:36 AM
j76
Typical Buck

Hey Kelly, It's a bummer if ya don't connect but sounds like you have had a very exciting season!! That's what it's all about! Close encounters that don't end in a kill are what keeps us obsessed with the sport and wanting to keep doing it! Good luck on your last trip out!

DTC, you and your son are somethin else!!! You guys are quite the killin team!! Congrats....once again to JR!!!!!!

Well my first hunt as camera man was interesting to say the least! I seen some new things and learned a few! I learned that I am an awful caller and an eaven worse camera man!!! I also come to realize that my homemade struttin jake decoy that i showed ya guys pictures of has been on its last hunt with me!!!
That thing has spooked 2 birds now this season!!
We had em gobblin hard off the roost, responding really good to my calls and one finally hit the feild and started to cut across in front of us, noticed the dekes and then acted really weird as he spooked. It was like an alarm put but he was gobbling still, either way, he headed out and disappeared just out of sight over the hill, gobbling the whole time. He stayed just out of sight still hammerin away, then some more showed up on the hill in the distance and he ran over to them, picked a fight then stayed with them. At first i thought he was intimidated by my deke or something, but then he charged right into a flock of em and did started scrappin. I don't know was weird. But here is the bad video of when he first came to the feild and spotted the dekes, The bad callin wasn't till after he was already actin funny.

http://s676.photobucket.com/albums/v...rent=003-2.mp4

This one is of the group when i noticed the one, looks like he is breeding a hen, but i can't see it. Do they lay really flat when getting bred???? Or is he just all horned up dry humpin the air????

http://s676.photobucket.com/albums/v...rent=005-3.mp4
Old 05-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

No bird today. Sat up where I shot my jake last week and they weren't there. Heard some further north but thats the way it sounded like they went. Seen a couple about a 1/4 mile away so I tried to catch up to them and either they seen me or just got somewhere before I could see where they went. These birds are weird this year. Once they hit the ground they don't make a peep so its been hard trying to even locate them. Plus I'm starting to feel a little burnt out. Been a long season with little to show for it.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by

Well my first hunt as camera man was interesting to say the least! I seen some new things and learned a few! I learned that I am an awful caller and an eaven worse camera man!!! I also come to realize that my homemade struttin jake decoy that i showed ya guys pictures of has been on its last hunt with me!!!
That thing has spooked 2 birds now this season!!
We had em gobblin hard off the roost, responding really good to my calls and one finally hit the feild and started to cut across in front of us, noticed the dekes and then acted really weird as he spooked. It was like an alarm put but he was gobbling still, either way, he headed out and disappeared just out of sight over the hill, gobbling the whole time. He stayed just out of sight still hammerin away, then some more showed up on the hill in the distance and he ran over to them, picked a fight then stayed with them. At first i thought he was intimidated by my deke or something, but then he charged right into a flock of em and did started scrappin. I don't know was weird. But here is the bad video of when he first came to the feild and spotted the dekes, The bad callin wasn't till after he was already actin funny.

[URL
http://s676.photobucket.com/albums/vv129/jsobey76/?action=view&current=003-2.mp4[/url]

This one is of the group when i noticed the one, looks like he is breeding a hen, but i can't see it. Do they lay really flat when getting bred???? Or is he just all horned up dry humpin the air????

http://s676.photobucket.com/albums/v...rent=005-3.mp4

Your calling wasn't that bad. Sounded a heck of alot better than mine..lol

That dude looked like he was breedin but didn't see a hen. The one I saw the other day was at for about 10 to 15 minutes and I didn't hear the squealing hen until after it was over. So still not too sure I'd want to buy that call...lol

Last edited by kellyguinn; 05-01-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:03 AM
j76
Typical Buck

Hey Mottz, ya broke your dry spell!!! You should be happy with yourself for that!!! Didnt you say you had all of may to hunt still? If so take a long well deserved break from em and give it a try in a couple weeks. If it ends like it is now, you still had a successful season and should be proud about that. It's been a rough season all over the country by the sounds of it with the weather and all. I think anyone who got to squeeze the trigger this yr had to of had their chit together to make it happen!!
You did good and congrats on a successful season!!!
Old 05-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Well I'm back from my last hunt of the season. Here is how it went.

I decided to sneak in to where I had roosted them the last 2 evenings. There are several trees in about a 100 yard area and I was able to get in the middle of them on the public hunting side. As dawn approached the hens started doing their cuttin when wouldn't ya know it a big flash of lightning and clap of thunder and gobbles started going off all around me. Luckily the thunderstorm moved off quickly and pretty much just left the sprinkles of rain with an occasional clap of thunder in the distance. Especially since I had just walked a little over a half mile to get in there!

At about 8am or so I decided to do what I had planned and got up grabbed my deke and started to head out to the other spot where I had called a few in. (its about 25 miles from there). I got about 100 yards down the fence and heard 5 quick gobbles that sounded like they were a couple hundred yards in on the private side. I set the deke right on the fence and sat about 15 yards further down the fence line. After around 15 minutes of playing with them I had a hen come by about 30 yards out and then went right to where the toms were. I waited about 15 more minutes and started yelping and had the hen start right back. Eventually I guess she had enough cause here she came looking for the sick hen (which is what I'm sure I sounded like) and the the tom came right behind her. Instead of headed to my deke she headed right at me. She got about 5 yards before she noticed something wasn't right and started puttin. The Tom stayed about 40 yards out and when she started puttin he turned and started back to private.......BUT he never made it

The curse has been lifted. He's not a giant but with how hard I had to work at it the last 5 years he is a trophy to me. Next year I'll try not to wait till the last minute of my season to get it done..lol I'll get the measurements and photo here in just a few.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:23 AM
j76
Typical Buck

KELLYGUINN!!!!!!!!!!!! Awsome job!!!!!! So glad to hear ya got one!!! Congratulations on a well deserved gobbler!! The last day of the season makes it that much sweeter!
Nice work!
Old 05-01-2011, 11:31 AM
Fork Horn

Got whupped in Kansas, and couldn't find a Gobbler on my Iowa private. I think I killed the only one. I've got around 3 days for Iowa left, so hopefully I can upgrade. Just not sure where to hunt. Will post pics of bird 3 today. Congrats to you guys putting down birds. No matter what happens, we made noise in this contest. Well done.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Here is the pic. It is a Rio

17 lbs
3/4 right spur
3/4 left spur
7 1/4" beard

For a score of 46.5
Attached Thumbnails Team 10 - Those Flockin Gobblers-turkey-2011.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.