Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2010-2011 Turkey Contests
Team 10 - Those Flockin Gobblers >

Team 10 - Those Flockin Gobblers

Community

Team 10 - Those Flockin Gobblers

Old 04-29-2011, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go figure, the weekend comes...and so does the wind & rain. Might take tomorrow off and get some deer mounted in the shop, then give it a go on Sunday. Next week looks like nice weather, might have to burn a few vacation days. Good luck to everyone still chasing birds.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:27 AM
j76
Typical Buck

Just talked to the land owner of the prop i'm takin a buddy of mine to on sunday, looks real good. I got a feelin we are gonna have turkeys all over us cause i shot that jake early and am done!! Will prob be kickin myself for not holdin out for somethin bigger, but oh well, will have the video cam so maybe i'll get some cool footage!
Old 04-29-2011, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

Well got out this morning and had a jake in the sights but.....I got greedy. It came in with 3 other birds and I was trying to make sure that there wasn't a long beard in the bunch. By the time the last one stepped into view the first one noticed jake-mobile and started putting and dancing a jig in the other direction. Since then we have been having 50 to 65 mph gusts and its not going to slow down till about 3 am. Hopefully I can get it done in the morning cause it looks like tonight is going to be a wash and I have to be home by 2pm tomorrow....bosses orders
Old 04-29-2011, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

Welp I'm headed out to where they were roosting during deer season. Easily had 300 birds there but I think it got hit pretty hard early in the season cause I only saw a couple there a few weeks ago. Hopefully they have made there way back.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:51 PM
j76
Typical Buck

Yer gettin close Kelly! Any closer and you will be forced to post a bird!!!!!
Guess me and my buddy are gonna hit em in the a.m. instead of sunday, should be a much better day weatherwise.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't get too greedy kelly. Tag soup does not taste very good. I know from experience Best of luck to you getting on them.

j, hope you and your buddy have a good day also. Let us know how it goes. I'll be working on my addition tomorrow. Trying to tear out the patio now. Can tell 1 thing. Concrete back in the 80's was cheap. This thing is over 6" thick. And the muck dirt underneath explains my sometimes leaky basement. This addition started out real swell. Hope it goes a little smoother tomorrow. But anyway, I'll be heading out Sunday morning to sit right where I got my last bird.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

If any of yall turkey experts are still on I need a little advice. I have a dilema. This evening I watched 8 hens a jake and a Tom all bed down. The problem is it is on private that buts up to public and the birds are roosting about 30 yards in on the private side and did not cross onto public. The Tom would not leave the hens for anything. I even got to watch him breed one of the hens which is a first for me!

My question is would you go after the tom on this unit or go back after the jakes that I had this morning on a differant unit. I'm not real sure if a Tom beds down with the hens if you can call him off of them in the morning.

None of the birds on the unit with the Tom were talking at all. I called to a dang jake that was on private and he just turned and went right back where he came from.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm no expert but if I was in your place, I'd get as close to the roost as possible. Maybe on the fenceline bordering the properties. I'd use a single hen decoy within eyesight of the others at 1st light. If you can get 1 hen to fly your way then the others may follow bringing the tom with them. Thats me though. Go with what you feel comfortable with.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Been kinda quiet on here today. Hope that means everyones out having a good time.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:40 PM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

We are back from NE, had an awesome trip. DTC Jr sure made me proud this weekend. He killed 3 merriams on the first day we were there. They all were 2 yr old birds, he really liked NE and wants to go back next year. He pulled his very first double and then got to double up with his cousin about 4 hours later. I will help him post pics tomorrow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.