Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2010-2011 Turkey Contests
Team 10 - Those Flockin Gobblers >

Team 10 - Those Flockin Gobblers

Community

Team 10 - Those Flockin Gobblers

Old 03-26-2011, 12:59 PM
Fork Horn

Hmmmm, Morels. That's stopped a few of my hunts cold, when I stumbled across a large bunch.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is another jellyhead Iowa. I agree, if they are coming in, let em keep coming. I bought a new Indian Creek choke for my Mossberg and I'm going to switch to Hevi-13's. Gotta pattern my gun yet, but it should be able to reach out and touch something if need be.

There are two things that can derail my turkey hunt fast. Finding morels and finding sheds. Other than that, I like to think I'm ballz to the walls for birds....haha.

I too can hunt until mid-May. Right now I'm planning on shotgunning 3rd season in IA. If successful, I'll grab the bow for 4th season. If unsuccessful, I will keep the shotgun for forth. I love hunting May in Iowa. About 9:00 when the hens nest, the gobblers get awefully ansty. Can't wait. Will probably sneak out IA 2nd season with a buddy to get a quick fix.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:45 AM
Fork Horn

I've got season 3 and 4 tags for Iowa, but late season 4 can be tough if you are hunting Public, because of all the Morel hunters out there screwen up your hunts. I've got one piece of Private land in Iowa that has Turkey, but lost my best place from last year. Currently working on a large tract of Private, that if it doesn't get leased, I might be able to use this Spring for Turkey, but it will be a one shot deal. He gets $12,000 a year for a lease, and just booted his previous leasers off the property. Leasing in Iowa to Deer hunters is really screwen me up.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:31 AM
j76
Typical Buck

12,000 a yr to lease!!! WOW!!!!! How many acres? I too am really hoping to get on some new property this yr, one for sure I'm gonna go after and hopefully I can come up with a couple others, got a farmer that lets me hunt his property but did a bunch of work for him this past summer and he kinda owes me one, and he knows lots of other farmers with prop so gonna tell him thats how he can pay me, talk to some people and find me some new spots!! The wife is off work all week so this is my chance to break free from the kids and start puttin somethin together. 8 degrees outside right now and still way too much snow but can't put it off much longer, seasons only about 3 weeks away!!
Old 03-27-2011, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

What a waste of a day! I sat in some cedar draws that we always see birds. I didn't hear or see 1 bird. Lots of deer but no birds. Tried a couple different setups and still didn't hear or see anything. Out of six of us only 1 shot was taken but it was missed. First time ever I went a whole hunt without even seeing anything. Next week I'll be heading to my regular hunting area. Plus, forecast now is showing about 65 next weekend, not this 28 degrees and drizzly weather. See if I can get a turnaround.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:29 PM
Fork Horn

well ive got my eye on a nice bird hope he hangs around for another week or so and he will be my contribution to the team .im fired up and ready to put the smack down on a big ole bird
Old 03-27-2011, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

It will come around Mottz, just keep at it. Still early, gobblers are still pretty henned up.

$12K for a lease is insane, but that is southern Iowa for you. Most farmers up this way want as many turkeys shot as possible....so I hope leases don't take over up here too.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:24 PM
j76
Typical Buck

Keep at it Mottz, The good weather coming should definately help ya out!
Old 03-27-2011, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by zubba
It will come around Mottz, just keep at it. Still early, gobblers are still pretty henned up.

$12K for a lease is insane, but that is southern Iowa for you. Most farmers up this way want as many turkeys shot as possible....so I hope leases don't take over up here too.
It's a lot of land, but can't remember exactly how much. A bunch of rich guys out of Michigan had leased the land solely for Deer hunting. Divided by like 8 people, 12K is peanuts for a group like this.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, that is true. 12K between 8 people is actually a pretty descent price. Heck, I'd consider paying it if worst came to worst.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.