Team 8 Longbeard Mafia

Old 04-24-2011, 02:34 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by silent arrow
nauticstar you are the man! you are a bonafide turkey thug (ha-ha) good job bubba.
ksfowler helluva job as well ya'll have killed some beauts. I went out friday morning set up on a pasture sat for awhile heard a gobbler off in the distance knew exactly where he was as I've been on this bird a few times since before opening day just locating and twice since the season has been in.
Anyhow I woke up that morning running a little behind schedule got my gear loaded up come in to tell the old lady goodbye she says your blind is sitting on the porch I said " I dont need it" anyhow get on to the spot like I said heard the gobbler knew where he was went to him set up on a old cabin in the middle of a cow pasture.
Hit him with a few yelps got him stirred up and then i gave him a gobble to mess with his head he let loose with a stream of gobbles I had him figured then jumped out the old cabin bee-lined for the woods but it was a clear cut that had been turned into a section of cowpasture set-up my hen decoy got behind a oak stump that was pretty big that had been blowed over, let him have that fighting purr and he came in like he was on a string blowed up like a beach ball, boy he was hot! He came in to the barbwire fence which was 15 yrds but he came in so fast I just had got done ranging it and let my rangefinder go was getting ready to grab the bow and he busted me. He deflaited and hit the laurels and all i could hear was the old lady saying "the blind is on the porch"! I'm still sick about that. He was beautiful. a good 30lbs bird with at least a 8-10" beard. hopefully I can get on him monday afternoon but I'm thinking tuesday morning he's done! ya'll boys wish me luck or hail mail me some cause i need it ! our season ends may 7th times a ticking!
Great story SA. Good luck with that bird. 30 pounds? Wow! Would love to smack a heavy weight like that. The one I shot in Kansas this past week was 27 pounds, but he was soaking wet. Wish you the best. I'm done for the year. Sad to say, so keep me posted.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:24 AM
Fork Horn

Nauticstar Got you Kansas Turkey scored after PM'ing Kim on what to do.

Your score is 27 + 11.25 + 11.25 + 21 = 70.5
Old 04-25-2011, 09:06 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Nauticstar
Great story SA. Good luck with that bird. 30 pounds? Wow! Would love to smack a heavy weight like that. The one I shot in Kansas this past week was 27 pounds, but he was soaking wet. Wish you the best. I'm done for the year. Sad to say, so keep me posted.
sssssssssh. nauticstar dont give away our wet bird secret we'll be brought up in front of congress on waterlogging charges
if that ole bird aint 30lbs he aint but a few pounds from it ! you had a helluva season nauticstar! you going to hunt in the fall any? aint no fall season here in n.c. thinking bout trying to find me a honeyhole in va but folks dont let you hunt like they used to any more but i'm going to see.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:51 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by silent arrow
sssssssssh. nauticstar dont give away our wet bird secret we'll be brought up in front of congress on waterlogging charges
if that ole bird aint 30lbs he aint but a few pounds from it ! you had a helluva season nauticstar! you going to hunt in the fall any? aint no fall season here in n.c. thinking bout trying to find me a honeyhole in va but folks dont let you hunt like they used to any more but i'm going to see.
Funny stuff! Yeah, I appreciate it SA. It's been one of my best seasons ever. Scary part is I should have killed two more here in Bama, didn't kill one in MS, and didn't get to hunt Ga, Tn, or Mt. Poor me huh? Ha! Ha! I really don't hunt in the fall for turkey. I get two archery tags in MO when I deer hunt, but rarely have I ever killed a turkey in the fall. I'm zoned in on those big whitetails. Good luck the rest of the way. Sitting here in Alabama pouting because I can't go anymore. Too scared to ask my wife. Lucky my key worked when I got home this weekend. LOL!
Old 04-29-2011, 08:26 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Nauticstar
Funny stuff! Yeah, I appreciate it SA. It's been one of my best seasons ever. Scary part is I should have killed two more here in Bama, didn't kill one in MS, and didn't get to hunt Ga, Tn, or Mt. Poor me huh? Ha! Ha! I really don't hunt in the fall for turkey. I get two archery tags in MO when I deer hunt, but rarely have I ever killed a turkey in the fall. I'm zoned in on those big whitetails. Good luck the rest of the way. Sitting here in Alabama pouting because I can't go anymore. Too scared to ask my wife. Lucky my key worked when I got home this weekend. LOL!
hell fire nauticstar you ought to head to N.C. for deer season not that far of a ride and you get 6 deer tags, 2 hog tags,1 bear tag,2 turkey tags all on one big game report card all you got to do is buy a license. and if your big into hog hunting you dont even need tags in the other 98 counties of nc (only 4 counties require tags) only bad thing about N.C. is we dont have a fall turkey season. its spring only and that sucks b/c we are swamped in birds personally I dont understand why we dont have a fall turkey season. anyhow best of luck to you come deer season if its anything like your turkey season you'll do fine.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:16 AM
Spike

Come on Team #8. We need some kills. Get out there and get it done! LOL! Season is over here. I need some pics and stories!
Old 05-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Spike

I setup in a spot at 10:00 am on Ontario public land where turkeys had been in past years . I sounded off some yelps with my Primos double reed call and got a gobble back. A moment later, I got another gobble from the same distance and I stayed silent. Another moment past and I got a closer gobble. I was laying down behind a large maple tree when he appeared in front of me at 20 yards and I then rolled him over with the 12g #6 shot. That ended a five year drought in the turkey woods, to finally score one of these great birds again.

Jake
3 in. beard
1/4 in L&R spurs
21 lbs
shotgun

Old 05-08-2011, 03:35 AM
Spike

That is one heavy weight Jake! Wow! You guys grow em big up there. Congrats on your bird.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:39 AM
Spike

Steve your score is 21+3+3+5=32 Congrats again brother.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:46 PM
Fork Horn

Well folks my season is over.

And I didn't score any birds. But that is how it goes.

If it wasn't the heavy rain and/or high winds it was the flooding making it near impossible to go hunting.

On the few day I did hunt I had a good time other than 2 when I didn't here no one gobble or see any birds.

The turkeys in the areas I hunt need a brake from this terrible nesting weather. The population is just getting lower and lower.

I went to MDC website and compare the number for the last 8 years I think and there was one common theme every year less bird being harvested and the jake percentage went from around 35% to 10-15% in counties I hunt. That tells me the hatch has been just awful!

But I am not giving up!!! I will be out there next year and hope the weather doesn't give us what we got this.

I would like to thank Nauticstar for stepping up and taking the team caption spot when I was/am unable to be on here very much due helping family and friends escape the flood waters. Which are now going down thank goodness. But now the clean up begins!!!

For those still hunting get after them!!! We need to try and take this thing!!!!

If your season is still in reply as to when your season closes so we can root you on!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.