Team 8 Longbeard Mafia

Old 03-24-2011, 06:23 PM
Spike

Hello, it's great to be on the team. I'm from southern Ontario and are season starts April 25 to May 31. I will be hunting with a shotgun or crossbow. Great team name, good luck to all.
Congrats to Nauticstar, nice bird.

Last edited by steve2064; 03-24-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:07 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by camokenny
Hey team I see we are on the board. Thats great. I will be hunting Iowa, Neb., and Missouri again this spring. I start in Iowa on the 11th of april. Cant wait. Last year I shot 7 longbeards in only 4 days of hunting( thru out the season of course). I put 7 scores on the board for the team last year out of the 9 we had registered. With this being my 32nd year hunting longbeards it just keeps getting better and better each year. I just love it!
Awesome camokenny! These are the kind of results we need! Ha! Ha!

These Alabama birds are giving me fits. I hunted Wed-Thurs. and had four encounters that ended in their favor. I've hunted turkeys my entire life and never had them be this difficult. Henned up and lucky as ever. Going to stay after them. I will hunt a few more days here in Alabama, then it's off to Fl, Ok, Tx, Ga, and Mo. I hope to inundate the board with pictures when I get back from each trip. Good luck everyone!
Old 03-26-2011, 07:43 PM
Fork Horn

Been away a few days, love those pics of the turkeys!!!!

Anyone been doing any scouting lately? I for one just can't find the time to do so and my hunting spot is around 150 miles round trip so this like every other year I am going in blind but this year maybe a harder I am going to try a new area, it should be interesting considering I don't know how much hunting pressure the birds get.

I have been kicking around spending first day or two at the area I hunted the past few years and just see if there is anything there since I know the area but if I do that I will not be sticking around if there isn't much happening there.

Just a reminder if you haven't pmed me your mailing address please do so that way when I get the turkey hunting contest stickers in I can send you out one.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:06 PM
Fork Horn

Hello guys, sorry it has been a while since i have been on. Been working a lot but have managed to do a few days of hunting. So far the birds have eluded me during hte hunting times but have seen several great birds while scouting but have also seen a lot of hunters while on public lands and they have not helped the situation. Will be going out this weekend, so wish me luck.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:32 PM
Spike

Here is my second bird. He weighed in at 18 1/2 lbs, had a 10 1/2" really thick beard, and 1/2" spurs. Believe it or not, both spurs were broke off at the tip. Not sure what happened, but he lost about 1/4" on each side. Oh well!

Old 03-30-2011, 05:33 PM
Spike

Quick story: My wife Shai and my three boys Jacob(7), Lawson(5), and Alex(3) drove up to my place yesterday afternoon after their baseball games. We cooked out and shot guns, rode 4 wheelers, etc. Great time. Woke my two oldest up at 5:30 and headed out.
Got to our listening spot and heard one gobble about 300-400 yards away in the bottom in front of us. My 5 yr. old doesn't get around the woods that well, so I scooped him up and Jacob followed us until we reached a tree on the edge of the bottom where we could see the bottom below and the ridge across from us. Absolutely beautiful spot. The bird was gobbling on his own really well. We all sat on a large pine tree and I got out my slate and gave him a little tree talk. He answered immediately and kept gobbling on his own. I called very little and he finally flew down to our left. We all saw him, but he disappeared behind some brush about 75 yards away on the opposite ridge. He never gobbled on the ground, but he was drumming really loud. My 5 yr. old spotted him first as he strutted down the ridge to our position. I had said a small prayer before we left the truck this morning....."God if you were ever going to shine on a hunt today would be a really good day." I let him get to within about 30 yards below us and just as he started up the hill I gave him the business. The boys got to him pretty quick and I joined them for a great celebration! I literally cried.......I know kinda wimpish, but I was overwhelmed that they got to experience that hunt with me. We grabbed him up and headed back to the truck so we could reunite with my wife and youngest son for pictures. Thank you Lord for such a great time!
Old 03-30-2011, 05:41 PM
Spike

O.K. guys, my luck is starting to turn around. After my great hunt with my boys Sunday, I had audits to do in Choctaw county so I arranged to hunt some property on the Tombigbee River yesterday and today. I took this bird on Tuesday the 29th. Awesome hunt as he is one of my best turkeys ever. He is my third of the season and weighed an even 20 lbs., had 1 3/8" needle sharp spurs, and an 11 1/4" beard. I'll post the pictures and then give the story later.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:53 PM
Spike

Hunted an area that is all Riverswamp with sloughs all over. I walked in the dark until I reached a slough and decided to stop because I didn't know how deep it was. I backed up and sat against a huge Cherrybark oak tree and waited for it to get light. Everyone says I'm the luckiest guy in the world and I am starting to believe that when a turkey gobbled about 75 yards in front of me. He was roosted over the slough and it really scared me when he gobbled the first time. He was gobbling in his own at a rate of about once every 15-20 seconds. Really hot. As it got lighter I could hear several hens with him and decided not to call. I figured I had a 50% chance they would fly down on my side of the slough. Well, when flydown time came some of the hens pitched down on my side about 100 yards to my left. When this happened I decided to call to let him now I was over here! He cut me three straight times so I put the call down and got my gun positioned for a shot. He finally flew down and landed about halfway between me and his hens. I softly yelped to him and he started my way. He got to within about 40 yards and was standing directly behind a big oak tree. He gobbled several times and finally walked out but was just barely visible, so I decided to wait. Just then he decided to head back to his large harem of hens. I was so scared he was about to get away so I yelped at him. As he walked back towards then hens, he angled away and finally got out from behind the tree. I clucked to stop him and bombed him at about 38 yards. I walked over and saw his spurs and got a very big smile on my face. I hope everyone appreciates the pictures because the mosquitos were about to eat me alive. They are horrible this year and it will be a short season for the majority of hunters around here. Tough to hang in there with them. Headed to Florida tomorrow for three days then off to Oklahoma for Rios. Keep the reports coming in guys. Have a great season.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:58 PM
Fork Horn

I loved your story with your family involved. That had to be an awesome experience for you. Really cool!! That second bird is one fine animal. Those are some of the longest spurs I have ever seen. I appreciated the pictures btw. Great job and awesome stories. Again the family hunt is my favorite! I am headed out this weekend for the opener for archery here in Kansas. Hope I can get it done with my favorite weapon, my mathews bow.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:00 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Waldo Hunter
I loved your story with your family involved. That had to be an awesome experience for you. Really cool!! That second bird is one fine animal. Those are some of the longest spurs I have ever seen. I appreciated the pictures btw. Great job and awesome stories. Again the family hunt is my favorite! I am headed out this weekend for the opener for archery here in Kansas. Hope I can get it done with my favorite weapon, my mathews bow.
I appreciate it. I was a little overwhelmed with the hunt myself. One of those hunts that everything went right. Good luck on your hunt in Kansas. I'm headed down to Florida for three days then off to Oklahoma for Rios. Going to be fun!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.