Team 2 - Tominators

Old 05-06-2011, 08:28 AM
Typical Buck

Look forward to some more stories. Unfortunately my season was cut short. As most of you have heard Alabama was ripped by tornadoes on the 27th of April. The last few days of season were beautiful but tornado cleanup took precedent. I didn't get hit but many people I know did. It will be a long road back.

Goose, if you are out there let me know how you guys are. If you guys need any donations let me know, we are overwhelmed with stuff in Lawrence County.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hello all, our church building got taken by the tornado on Wednesday, April 27th. We set up a hot meal distribution site the next afternoon. We also have pretty much anything a family could need in this terrible situation. At this point we've fed almost 20,000 people. We've chain sawed down trees, tarped roofs and cleaned the yards of debris at 78 houses. Tuscaloosa will be fine, we just got to get through the tough part. And as you know I'm a minister, so I'll add that we have already had 130 Bible studies, and have hundreds more to follow up on and hope to lead them to the Lord or closer to the Lord.

Just thought I'd give you all an update. My season is over, but it was a good one. God bless you all.

Last edited by Goose 11; 05-09-2011 at 05:19 PM. Reason: misspelled word
Old 05-10-2011, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry I haven't been on much, but it has been a busy spring, The weather was a big factor in the hunting this year, hate to say this but I was not able to connect this year. The birds just weren't very numerous as in past years, plus the wind and the rain kept them out of our fields.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default prayers for goose

Goose
My prayers are with you and your congregation, if there is something I can personally do to help please let me know.
Dan
Old 05-16-2011, 03:34 PM
Typical Buck

Well..... It's hard to talk with this tag I'm choking down... UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Sorry guys - no dead turk. I got close twice - a big one flew out from behind a barn, he was coming in to me - gobbling his head off. The barn was RIGHT BEHIND me - I heard him take off and saw him... MAN he was BIG... I think a coyote heard me calling and thought it was a dinner bell. Cuz that turkey got spooked well before he could have ever seen me, but something scared him - big time! (BAD WORDS!!!)

Second one I had coming in - man he was CLOSE too. Then hubby shot from in the woods and obviously he went silent. I had gun up - safety off - ready to shoot. Hubby got an awesome one though!

Spent 30 hours in my blind this weekend and of course every spare second I had hunting - we had bad flooding in 2 of the spots I hunt. Was praying for a hail mary, but I got skunked...

Kim
Old 05-17-2011, 12:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default buck up kim

Kim
Don't feel to bad, I'm sure you got some sanity and serenity out in the woods. You will get a bird when it's time. When you do do get a bird please send me a primary wing feather. make sure it's a right wing those left wingers are not worth a crap!!!! just a bummer that my back hurts! should of went bald honey it makes all the difference.
Dan
Old 05-23-2011, 04:45 PM
Typical Buck

Here's Adrian's 4th dead turk!!! Congrats Adrian!!!

18.0 lbs
9" beard
7/8" spurs

Your score is 18 + 8.75 + 8.75 + 18 = 53.5

Old 05-24-2011, 03:12 AM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

Lights out for that gobbler. Bet he didn't move much after the shot!
Old 05-30-2011, 02:25 PM
Typical Buck

Here is Adrian's first Gobbler - We didn't get that one scored earlier!

21.5 Lb
Beard 10"
Spurs 1"

Your score is 21.5 + 10 + 10 + 20 = 61.5

3rd bird to the gun this morning and this one was a shooter. Dustin's turn this afternoon on camera ...
Called him on a oak ridge and he came from a long way all to 30 yards of the gun and said WOOP"s !
Old 05-30-2011, 02:31 PM
Typical Buck

WOW ! What a season ! and to end it on the note that I did.

This morning we sat on a hill side above the area we hunted yesterday and I started with a Coyote howl from the mouth call and even the darkness in the morning 2 gobbles rang out way down in a hollow. A few mintues later and a crow called and a gobbler on our level rang out and Jim and I headed right to him.
As you walk into the setup the dark leaves on the trees hid the movement and we got setup on the gobbling bird. I could hear a hen clucking to my left across a 40 yard wide field and it was about 60 yards above the gobbler. I started with some soft clucks and Nope he would not answer. I sat for a minute or so and tried them again and Nope. After about 5 minutes I tried a flydown flap with my hat with no calling and Nope not a peep other then a gobbler gobbling his fool, head off across a creek bed and on the property we can still hunt Now the bird we are working, If a crow called he would gobble, so it was not looking good. Then the hen went silent and soon after I hear the big boy flydown and off he goes the other way.

Jim tried to back off and call but that still never fooled him.

We decided to leave him and maybe go work the bird that we could hear across the creek so off we went to the car and drove over to the other side. ( Keep in mind Jim had a heart attack this past March so walking is not good for him at this point )

We park the car and walk down a field edge where I have killed a few gobblers in the past and at the end of the field I even have a tree that I setup on and can watch the woods and field at the sametime. As I arrive I call with the mouth call and a few seconds later we hear the GOOBBBBLLLLLEEEEEEE over the ridge down near the creek. We put down the bobbling head and move fast to the tree and setup. I am at my tree and Jim sits down about 20 yards away behind me and I softly yelp and Bingo he answers. Jim pulls a slate out and starts to yelp and goobbbllleeeee once again. He's coming so I raise the gun, lower the glasses and sit as everything goes quiet for a few seconds. About 4 minutes goes by and I see the big fan coming over the ridge only 40 yards out. I ready myself and wait for him to work closer. He struts and looks out for the hen and stays in perfect fan. At 30 yards Jim decides to give him a cluck to raise his head and the bird turns funny, drops down looks and starts to move rather fast towards the creek bottom where he came.

The 20 gauge fastly takes mark and Bang ! Down he goes!

After the hunt we clean the bird in which I find lead shot in the hind end of the breast and by looking at the bird it looks like some Dumb a$$ tried to roost shoot this bird this season. If you look at the right center of the tail it has clean cuts in the feathers and the beard is half shot off >. My shot was Hevi shot and when I made the shot I could only see the head at the point of the trigger sqeeze , so it was not my shot.
Anyways this was the first bird Jim helped call in , with all the years we have hunted , Thanks Bud

Bird# 5 this spring
16 Lb
9 inch beard
3/4 matching spurs

The beard up close

Last edited by Turkey Goddess; 05-30-2011 at 02:36 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.