Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2010-2011 Turkey Contests
Ongoing First Shot Inconsistency - Ideas?? >

Ongoing First Shot Inconsistency - Ideas??

Ongoing First Shot Inconsistency - Ideas??

Old 01-07-2011, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kb1
breechplug;my inline T/C's have 8 lands/grooves,most sabots have 4 petals,by indexing the sabot you can have all 8 lands in contact with the petals or only 4 in contact with the lands the other 4 lands riding in the slots between the petals(these load easier and can cause fliers,thou in my experiance not as bad what the op had)
and i would respectfully disagree that a clean barrel can't shoot accurately...........karl
I agree a Clean Barrel can shoot accurately on some MLer's. But how does your first shot compare to your next shot on a Fouled Barrel, how close are they? My first shot out of a Clean Barrel is'nt that far off from My Second Shot on the Fouled Barrel, but All My Shots on a Fouled Barrel are the same and that's why I like the Fouled Barrel for My First Shot as I know it's going to hit exactly where Im aiming. Sure My first shot will probably be close enough for a good shot but I'd rather be 100% confident on My Fouled Barrel Shot then 99 99/100% sure with My Clean Barrel Shot.
Also say you shoot and miss while your Hunting, now you have a Fouled Barrel and what are you going to do Go Home and Clean it then return so you have a Clean Barrel.
Again My shots are not that much different from a clean vs a fouled barrel, but for me I dont want to have to wonder weather or not my shot wil be close, I want to be sure it's right where Im aiming. And on a Fouled Barrel I donthave to worry as I know it's going to be where Im aiming.
Now if every MLer shot the same from a Clean Barrel vs a Fouled Barrel that would be Great, but it does'nt always happen that way. And sure your First Shot should always do the job and then there should be no need to shoot the next one from a Fouled Barrel, but ya just never know so to be sure I want all my shots to be on, not the first one close then the next one's on, I want them all on.
And YES if you sight in on a Clean Barrel for the shot to be shot from a Clean Barrel then that's Great, but that's just one shot, then you have a Fouled Barrel and Yes I have done this in the past. But from now on I do it on a Fouled Barrel so each and every shot is the same.
(BP)
Old 01-07-2011, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it was me I would repeat your procedure and see what it does then. With the sabot loading noticeably easier with the flyer I suspect something was up with that load. I would try the whole process again for peace of mind and see where it shoots then on a clean barrel.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:09 AM
kb1
Fork Horn

Talking

before BH209 was on the market i used T7 in my inlines and had to clean between each shot anyway due to the crudring so after my alcohol/windex patch both sides, dry patch both sides, light oil patch both sides,dry patch again both sides and load,retape the barrel and i'm ready again.after a hunting shot with BH209 i simply reload and then use a damp wd40 patch then dry and retape.then i have a smoke.then i go find my deer.i have been able to take 2 deer the same day twice in the past 3yrs so i'm happy and have confidence with my method and see no need for me to worry about a quick reload.i don't consider my way to be "the best"but it works for me......karl
Old 01-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by falcon
Too complicated. No need for the alcohol patches, firing the three primers or the dry patch to spread out the powder residue. Just fire the gun with a clean barrel.
Thats too easy and made too much sense - it doesnt work on my gun. Feel lucky that it works for you.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:53 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Semisane
I don't know Bonner. Could be about anything I guess. But I can tell you that when I load a sabot that feels "funny" for some reason, I expect a flyer. Sometimes it's not there, but usually is. Sometimes it's extreme. Sometimes not.
I agree. The best shots I have are with loads that have a slow steady drag. Just about all my bad shots have come from loads that went down "jerk" - slow drag then hit a spot where it would go down easy then catch again.

I really think I just am not getting it clean enough and there was residue left from solvent.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:55 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by builder459
I remove the oil from barrel. and after firing the caps off load it and shoot.i "don't run a dry patch" once i have fouled the barrel with the caps.
I will eliminate the dry patch after the fouling primer shots.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:01 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
i dont oil my bore period. Oil always screwed up first shot accuracy for me. Even with an alcohol or windex patch prior to loading.
I just used a thin coat that one time. dry patched and alcohol patched. Next time at range - dead center.

Came home cleaned and did not use any oil and a had flyer. I will be using Monatana Bore Conditioner from here on as Sabot has recommended and others of you have recommended.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by lemoyne
I spent 3 years trying to get around this problem,the last two were with Blackhorn.
I used to sight in by cleaning every shot while sighting in when I used 777 there was not much choice.
Last summer I finally work out a solution, it seems like overkill but it works for me.
I swab out the barrel with a 50/50 mix of #9 and alcohol fire 3 primers swab out again drying each time then fire 3 more primers and load.
This allows me to depend on the first shot hunting to be right on even at long distance. I use Montana X bore preservative to protect the bore and its part of the equation.
Lemoyne - thanks for the tips. Sounds like our guns are related
Old 01-07-2011, 04:07 PM
Spike

I spent 3 years trying to get around this problem,the last two were with Blackhorn.
I used to sight in by cleaning every shot while sighting in when I used 777 there was not much choice.
Last summer I finally work out a solution, it seems like overkill but it works for me.
I swab out the barrel with a 50/50 mix of #9 and alcohol fire 3 primers swab out again drying each time then fire 3 more primers and load.
This allows me to depend on the first shot hunting to be right on even at long distance. I use Montana X bore preservative to protect the bore and its part of the equation.
Lemoyne - How do you preserve your barrel after loading the gun with a fouled barrel - assuming you dont shoot it when you take it out?
Old 01-07-2011, 04:10 PM
Spike

Lee - anotyher question. after you fire first 3 primers and swab, are you swabbing to the point of getting clean patches or just a few pass throughs and firing off 3 more?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.