2010-2011 Gun Deer Hunting Contest Good Luck Everyone!

Official Team #10 Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 06:47 AM
Typical Buck

Hey boys. Been doing some bowhunting. Haven't seen any of the big boys I've got on camera. I got an itchy trigger finger so I went ahead and killed a doe. The activity is starting to pick up here in MO. Gun season is still three or four weeks out. Youth firearm season is Saturday and Sunday. Taking my 7 year old out to see if he can get his first deer. Hopefully he can put something down. Good luck and I'll talk to y'all later.

DD
Old 10-24-2010, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

i'll be more then happy to be captain and it looks like we're going with 00buck for a team name? i'll shoot some pm to the people who haven't checked in
Old 10-25-2010, 04:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks WRH.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well my first hunt of the ML didn't quite go as expected. Got into some real heavy bush for untill the rut the big boys don't move too far out of it. Last Sunday night with about 3 min of hunting time left I called in just a pig of a buck. Must have been older for from the side his antlers were fairly palmated. But as he walked he wallowed like a big hog. He came into about 70 yard and I put the x hairs right on his shoulder and let one rip. I must have hit him directly upon the shoulder for he went down and then got up and saw that two back feet pushing as he wobled away. Heard him circle around to my left, heard him crash and then it sounded as he was flayling one of his back legs to get up. I blaze marked the tree where he was first hit and then went to get my partner to assist me in getting him out. When I met up with my buddy (whom was about 300 yards or so away) he said he heard that "whap" when you hit a deer hard. Well we went back to the blaze and started to look. Good blood where he first went down, then followed the blood to where he must have fell and bled some more (puddle of about 18x10 inches of some very thick red blood). So I figured we had him and he must have not gone too far. We started on the blood trail but with in 30 minutes the weather turned into one of the biggest storms we have had in the fall. After searching for another 3 hours in pouring rain and 60 mph winds we finally gave up for the night. I wasn't able to go first thing in the morning due that work thing we all dred during our hunting seasons but I got out there as quickly as I could after work. Problem, the storm had continued through the night and had only worsenned. Now the winds were gusting up to 80 mph, due to the rain I wasn't able to get my truck any closer than about a mile where I knew he went down. Luckly I had brough my hip waders for the soggy ground I had hunted the day before was now flooing over from the near by marsh. Looked again till a couple of hours after dark but nothing. All week I've been playing the shot in my head. It is real thick bush (tons and tons of intertwined willows etc.) and I thought that a shoulder shot would have been the best shot to bring him down on the spot but I quess I was a little off and that little off lost me this brute. Heading out again this Sat. and hopefully a little more luck with the next one. Sorry guys, we should have been tallying up the score on this one. Hopefully I'll be able to get another shot this Sat. I've only lost a couple this way over the past few decades but dies it hurt. I just hate waisting an animal this way and sleep all week has been tough. Hope you guys have better luck and I'm sure hoping for a dusting of snow for the weekend. Be safe out there.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

damn man, im sorry to hear about that. mother nature can be cruel to the hunter. hold your head up and get back out there and put a licking on a monster. good luck man. maybe you'll stumble upon the buck on your next hunt
Old 11-03-2010, 08:18 AM
Typical Buck

Hello fellas. I hope hunting is good where you all are. It's been pretty good in MO so far. It was youth season here in MO this past weekend. Me and my 7 year old boy were out to try and get his first deer. At first light on Saturday morning, we noticed two deer about 40 yards in front of us in the food plot. He decided he wanted to take one of them. He put the gun on it's rest. One of them was offering a perfect broadside shot but he just could't find it in the scope. Then it turned, so we moved to the other one. Couldn't find it either. Back to the other one. No luck. Then the two deer started moving back into the woods. Now one of them is 30 yards to our right so we readjust. Couldn't find it in the scope. It moved on and here come the other deer. It's about 20 yards from us. He found it! I told him to squeeze it off. He did and made a perfect shot with his .223. We saw his deer go down about 20 yards from where he shot it but I wanted him to find the position where he shot it at and follow the blood trail to the deer. We got to where he shot it, I looked down and there was the bottom half of the heart laying on the ground. I've never seen that before. I've seen lung splatter, but never a chunk of the heart laying where a deer had been shot. Here's Drew and his button buck. Notice the chunk of the heart laying by the deer's front hoof.

Now that Drew got his first deer, that gives me the opportunity to hunt on Sunday morning. At 8:00, I saw a doe and a couple fawns move through about 70 yards from me. It was quiet for the next couple hours. At 10:00, reluctantly, I decided to get down because my in-laws were visiting from out of town. I packed my stuff into my backpack, put it on, lowered my bow and as I was undoing my saftey strap from the tree, I caught movement out of the corner of my eye. A doe. I quickly pulled my bow back up and nocked an arrow just in case. I still had my backpack on. Sure enough, here comes "Kickback" chasing the doe. Within 20 yards, they ran past me and back again. Every time the buck would stop there would be something blocking my shot. Finally, as they passed me for the third time, I was able to get the buck to stop. He was 4 paces off the base of my tree. There was a limb partially blocking my shot. I had to lean way to the left to just miss the limb and still get into the lungs. I pulled it off. The arrow hit high on the right side and exited low on the left side. As he ran away, I could see blood pouring out of his left side. He ran about 60 yards and fell over. I was a little disappointed when I got up to him. He broke off a 4 or 5 inch kicker coming off the base of his right main beam that went back over his neck. That's where the name "Kickback" came from. He ended up grossing 128-1/8". With the kickback point and the other half of one browtine that he also broke off, he would have been in the mid-130's. I thought he would have been close to 140" based on the pics I had of him. Oh well, I'm still happy. Here's a few pics of him and me.

Kickback in velvet in August.

A closeup of the Kickback point

Kickback coming across a small food plot and the same area where I shot him.

Kickback and another buck I call Hoss sparring.

The field shot of Kickback where he went down.

Me and Kickback.

Still some good bucks in the area. I hope I can lay one down during firearms season here in a couple weeks. Good luck to everyone.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

thats a great looking buck. congrats to your son also on his first deer
Old 11-05-2010, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats also on your son's first deer D150. Just a question for you southern boys???? What's the weather been like for you down in the states? It's just been crazy up here in Manitoba. It's Nov. and we don't have any snow. Last year it snowed for the first time on Sept.12th (not that I'm looking to start shovelling). Our nights have been going down to about 20-25F but the days been going up past 50F. Next week is the first week of our rifle season and we have 3 days of rain predicted. Last year we had the 3rd coldest winter on record and this spring to fall we've had record rain falls. I mean the swamps are full, roads into the bush are washed out. Today I blew out a U joint on my 86 k5 blazer and I'm sure torquing out in the bush assisted in my difficulties today. Heading out to my stands Sat. for the last 2 days of the ML season but if we get any more rain I'm not sure if I'll even be able into the area I hunt. Wish I had an Argo. Hope you all hunt safe and I'm able to post a pic by Sunday evening.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

The weather has been pretty much the same as yours here in wisconsin. its really odd weather patterns this fall. I'm hoping it cools down and stays cool from now on. The season opens it 2 weeks so hopefully it cools down a bit and hopefully get a little snow on the ground.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:01 AM
Typical Buck

We've gotten about a 1/2" of rain in the last two months in my part of MO. It's extremely dry. My food plots are just miserable. It's been pretty cool the last week or so but it's heating up today. Maybe 70 degrees F. Gun season opens this Saturday. Can't wait to get back out there. Haven't been out since Halloween since I already killed a buck with my bow. We are allowed three bucks in MO. One archery buck before gun season, one gun season buck, and one archery buck after gun season. I'm itching to get back to the woods. Good luck everyone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.