HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   2010-2011 Gun Deer Hunting Contest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2010-2011-gun-deer-hunting-contest-119/)
-   -   Official Team #12 Thread (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2010-2011-gun-deer-hunting-contest/329080-official-team-12-thread.html)

HardwoodHunter 09-03-2010 05:36 PM

Official Team #12 Thread

Hey guys, i know our teams not full yet but I thought I might as well start the thread.

Let's get this thing goin'!

My names James, I just graduated high school this past year and am currently taking a year off of college to decide what I want to do. Anyways, with that said I will obviously have all sorts of time to do what I love...hunt them whitetail! I'm hunting in Northern NY (St. Lawrence County). I have three locations i like to hunt, one is a 30 acre chunk that I can take a doe, or little buck anytime I want, they're plentiful. The main location I'll be hunting though will be at camp, theres over 2500 acres with a couple guys. This summer my dad and I have gone onto a ridge that borders a swamp that no body has even touched in well over 10 years. There's so much sign it is unreal, I hope to get one of the old bruisers running it! Good luck team 12! Let's do this!

WaccamawHunter 09-07-2010 05:40 AM

WaccamawHunter checking in. I'll be hunting Northeastern SC

sk74ford 09-07-2010 09:18 AM

sk74ford checking in.

uncle matt 09-07-2010 07:34 PM

Checking in. Will be hunting in Illinois.

Bucktail_Bob 09-08-2010 07:34 AM

bb ckecking in. Will be hunting in Illinois.

John Deer 09-15-2010 09:47 AM

Checking in from Oklahoma. I probably won't be posting much till it gets closer to season but good luck everybody. It looks like we'll have a good team.

John Deer 10-18-2010 10:23 AM

Muzzleloader season opens next Saturday here in Oklahoma. Anyone elses start soon?

HardwoodHunter 10-20-2010 01:36 AM

Been open since the 16th here. Saw numerous deer during bow season, but go figure...since saturday I haven't seen a thing. Feeling good about this morning though. Wind/weather are both in my favor for the first time so here we go...hopefully atleast get us 25 points!

WaccamawHunter 10-25-2010 01:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Guys I actually feel kind of bad. I shot a nice 10 pt last Tuesday and have pictures but completely forgot about the contest and didn't get a picture with the gun in it. Anyways it gross scored 114 3/8 in. Here's a pic just for the heck of it.

John Deer 10-26-2010 12:48 PM

That's a nice buck! Congratulations. I got caught off guard Sunday evening by a real nice 10 point. I was going to setup on the ground under a red oak tree and watch an overgrown field that the deer have been bedding in and try to catch a buck moving from the field to the oak flat thats on the east side of it to feed just before dark. I was just getting setup at around 4:30ish and not expecting to see anything till closer to dark but as i was breaking a few small limbs off the oak so i could see out and shoot without them being in the way I look up and see this buck running right at me from out in the field. By the time I saw him he was only about 40 yards away and i had to grab my muzzleloader and try to get him to stop. I bleated 4 or 5 times at him to try to stop him but he kept running. He jumped a fenced behind me and got about 40 yards past me before I could get him in the scope. He was in some brush but I had a shot momentarily and I took it. After the smoke cleared I could see him bound a few more feet then stop broadside in a little opening. He stood there for about 30 seconds as I frantically tried to get reloaded. Before I could he trotted off into the draw behind him. I waited a few minutes and tried to collect my thoughts before I walked over and looked for blood or hair. After a thorough search I found nothing. Man, I was shook up. I got a good look at his rack since he ran about 15 yards away from me and he's a nice 10. It all happened so fast and I keep replaying it over in my mind. With rifle he'd have been dead because I could have had a follow up shot when he was standing there broadside. Hindsight being 20/20 I wish i would have waited instead of shooting while he was moving. I guess I'll remember that if something like this ever happens again.