2010 - 2011 Bowhunting Contest HNI's annual archery deer hunting contest. Will the Bone Mafia win it again??

Team #18

Old 09-27-2010, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Been out 4 times so far, saw deer 3 out of the 4 times all does. Unfortunate incident with a decent doe, a rage BH, and a shoulder blade on opening day in RI... I passed on a bunch of does in CT 2nd time out. I'm currently hunting in an earn a buck zone in RI and lets just say I haven't earned my buck yet. On Friday, I get to hunt on some Navy Property that holds some big deer, the biggest I've ever seen around here. Its a special controlled hunt. 10 areas and 10 hunters for 2 weeks, then another group gets a shot at it. I may get out before then, but if I do it will be in the earn a buck zone.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:07 AM
Spike

Hey guys, sorry for the lack of activity. I had to miss opening weekend here in Wisconsin cause of my buddies wedding. Last weekend I didn't get out either, but I hope to get out in the coming two weekends, can't wait to get out there. It was a lot easier when I was in school. Second fall with a real job, kinda blows.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:33 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Manson
It was a lot easier when I was in school. Second fall with a real job, kinda blows.
I wish I could say it gets better bro but it doesn't and yes working a real job does blow!
Old 09-30-2010, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Illinois opener tomorrow, North winds are screwing up my game plan though.
Have to go to a different farm tomorrow than I had planned, still can't wait.
I'm ready to roll, Good luck all!!
Old 10-01-2010, 07:52 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by dakine999
I wish I could say it gets better bro but it doesn't and yes working a real job does blow!

Well I guess one good thing is that this year I have more vacation saved up so I should be able to hit the rut a little harder if need be. I'd rather save it so hopefully I can connect earlier on.

First hard frost of the year Saturday night/ Sunday morning so I'm going to try my hardest to get out for my first sit of the year, I'll be happy if I see some activity.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Navy property I was planning to hunt this afternoon is gettin rained upon pretty heavily now with wind gusts up to 35 mph. I don't mind though, I'm feeling pretty lousy and not really up to hunting. I'll be out tomorrow though. Today was the first day the property opened up, I hear there were some people out this morning. With the winds as strong as they were plus no pre-season scouting allowed, good luck to them. I wasn't about to lumber into a place I never hunted before in the dark, try not to kick something up, and find a spot before daylight while the winds were kicking and forcast for 100% chance of rain in the afternoon. There are 10 areas and only 10 of us can hunt this 1st 2 week period, then we have to pass the permits to the next 10. I'm sure this won't be like shooting fish in a barrel, but except for a pilot program late last year (read: captain's buddies got first crack at the deer) this property holds some HUGE animals and has never been hunted before. I used to glass the area and see some monsters in years past but hunting was prohibited. My game plan is to wake up and reserve my area 1.5 hours before sun-up (thats the earliest i can call Security), then get out about noon when movement should be at a minimum. I'll take a ground blind and a tree stand, do a speed scout and look for a likely trail to set-up on, hopefully with a tree I can use my climber on, then go from there until dark. If I find a good looking area with no trees, I'll use my pop-up blind, but I'm really hoping to find a good tree to climb.

Good luck to everyone whose season starts today!
Old 10-01-2010, 11:00 AM
Fork Horn

sounds good
Old 10-01-2010, 03:48 PM
Fork Horn

Looks like a few guys will be in the woods this weekend .I am off to a stand in the morning. good luck
Old 10-02-2010, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont know what happened, but I just lost the post I typed up. Long story short, I did not shoot anything at that Navy property. I had a shot at a doe at the end of the night, but I passed. All tolled, I saw 10 deer there. 5 bucks and 5 does. With the exception of a pretty tall spike, the other 4 would have been shooters to me. Two of those would have been shooters to most. One had a HUGE body and pretty good 8 point rack. The other had a really high 8 point rack with long tines and pretty good mass. None of them offered a shot. I'm still feeling pretty lousy so I'm not going to push myself to get out tomorrow. I'll try and get that same spot in a couple of days and try and figure out how to set up to get one of those big boys. I had to use my ground blind, not a single tree that I saw could be used with a climber.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:25 AM
Fork Horn

Hope you feel better and get one of those bucks RI! I went out for our opening yesterday morning but didn't see a thing!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.