2010 - 2011 Bowhunting Contest HNI's annual archery deer hunting contest. Will the Bone Mafia win it again??

Team 9 - Team Buckaneers

Old 11-22-2010, 02:37 PM
Fork Horn

Hey all just checking in and letting you I am still at it as well. I haven't seen much the last couple of weeks. It has been really warm and then on the cold snaps I have not seen much movement at all. I did pass on a small 8 but other than that all I have seen. Been a frustrating season to say the least. I think with the crops out of the fields early this year has really changed their movement patterns. we will see what happens this weekend.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I have been focusing on videotaping more than hunting... but I did still manage to get 2 more Doe's.
One was a very small doe ( no pic's ) but she made some of the best jerky I have had this year
Then
Took the video camera and decided I would take a doe only if she wasnt in heat and or being followed by a buck , if the oppertunity presented itself.
I stoped counting Doe's and fawn's sighted at 16 , they were everywhere, must have seen 7 or 8 bucks.
Big doe came in at roughly 13-15 yards but she was being hounded by a dink buck so she got a free pass.
Had a doe fawn then her mother and then her button buck come by me single file at 9 yards at the farthest, with no bucks following, so the big doe was my target and to be honest when I shot I didnt see where the arrow hit her. She bounded off to 25 yards from my tree and turned so I gave her another arrow and she bolted off.
She went in the thick stuff and I lost sight of her as her fawns hung around a while. Later her fawns returned 3 different times and the 3rd time they even brought another doe with them.( didnt get the kill on video)
In the direction that my arrowed doe went I heard a loud buck roar, but couldnt see what made the roar, till a little while later what looked like a 2 1/2 old 8 point emerged from her area. I saw him 3 times that morning as well.
I watched alot of smaller bucks chase does and doe fawns all morning.It was pretty much non stop deer and chasing all morning till about 11:30am.
I then see a doe that just appeared like it seemed out of no where, she was about 40 yards and I see a shooter buck following her, he gets to roughly 30 yards from me and just stands guard over the doe, and would occasionally stomp and grunt at her.
I noticed something funny was going on with him... The lower last half of his back leg is gone...He is a 3 legged buck and his rack is a Big 4 Points on his left side, but 2 up points and one drop tine on the other side. I watched as he limped around severly after her, he limped so bad that when he would take a step his rump would almost hit the ground, ( and I got all of him with the doe on video )
So when I decided the deer sightings were starting to slack off and I needed a bathroom break I climbed down.
Once I started blood tracking my doe and found an area completly covered in blood and deer hair and looked like someone had just tore the ground up with a hoe and then a blood trail again till I spotted my down doe...luckly she died 25 yards on our side from the neighbors property line.
So I tagged her and returned to my car and
( while I was eating Venison Jerky... Yummy ) waited for christine to show up with the deer cart to help us haul the doe from the woods to the car.
Once we went to load the doe on the cart christine noticed some extras holes in the doe's rump. We then relized that the 2 1/2 old 8 pointer must have been the one whom I heard roar , he must have been the one that was goaring my doe with his antlers in the rump trying to get her to get up ( turned out my 1st shot at her was good and did her in).
I also noticed she had some pretty funky teeth allignment and wear , gonna have to age her, I think she was old ?
I have a friend whom the economy hasnt been to kind to that is making her into homemade summer sausage and jerky... I cant wait to eat it
So then Louie and I decided to bowhunt in the morning for doe's on an area a few days ago and climb trees a few hundred yards apart from each other... Louie took his photo camera and I took my video camera...louie got pics of this buck under 20 yards but it was still just a bit to dark for the camera to get a decent photo of him. But I attached them anyways

I hope you all have a chance to get out and take a deer !!!!!
and
HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE
Attached Thumbnails Team 9 - Team Buckaneers-deb-deer-12-2010-resized.jpg   Team 9 - Team Buckaneers-c-buck-2010-2.jpg   Team 9 - Team Buckaneers-c-buck-2010-1.jpg  
Old 11-25-2010, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

i won't be able to get back out with the bow until december 6th. muzzleloader season opens monday after rifle season closes so i'll be out with the smokepole trying to fill my gun buck tag. i did shoot a doe with my rifle last sunday. so hopefully in 3 weeks i'll be back in the stand with my bow in hand
Old 12-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

still out hunting had a 6 point walk threw at 50 yrds but never came closer mabie next time out gl team
Old 12-02-2010, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

im still debating whether to take the muzzleloader or bow out this weekend. we're supposed to get 6-8 inches between tomorrow at noon until saturday morning. saturday morning should a good morning to get out hunting
Old 12-03-2010, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its firearm season here Thursday thru Sunday so no bowhunting allowed They are only calling for 1-3 inches of snow here.. sounds like its gonna realy dump some snow on you up there WisRifleHunter... Best of luck on what ever weapon you decide to carry
Few days back my good friend Christine shot a buck and while bloodtrailing him we came upon this other dead buck..Turns out a guy on the neighboring property claimed he shot it the previous firearm season so we turned it over to him to tag.
He is the same buck I had a few weeks earlier come in on me while in my treestand filming when the camera battery died... to bad I was already tagged out on bucks
Attached Thumbnails Team 9 - Team Buckaneers-db-2010-2.jpg   Team 9 - Team Buckaneers-db-2010-1.jpg   Team 9 - Team Buckaneers-db-2010-5.jpg  
Old 12-07-2010, 04:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

thats one hell of a buck. to bad you guys couldn't put a tag on him. and yes we got dumped on!! we got about 8 inches in probably 15 hours. i took the muzzleloader out with not much luck. seen a couple does and 2 small 8 points. muzzleloader season closes tomorrow so after that i'll be back in the stand with my hoyt.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by wis_rifle_hunter
thats one hell of a buck. to bad you guys couldn't put a tag on him. and yes we got dumped on!! we got about 8 inches in probably 15 hours. i took the muzzleloader out with not much luck. seen a couple does and 2 small 8 points. muzzleloader season closes tomorrow so after that i'll be back in the stand with my hoyt.
Well so much for 1-3 inches of snow we ended up getting about 8 inches of snow here... I swear sometimes I think the weather people are just guessing

Well good luck with the Hoyt, hope ya get a good one
I was gonna go out with the bow this morning until I saw it was
1 degree outside, think I wait and go when its a touch warmer.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

wow that is a slammer lady, too bad you couldnt get that buck or have him live to next year. After the past few weeks of firearm seasons in NY, PA, and NJ I now have three bucks down and therefore wont be helping out the team with the bow. It started out November 20th putting down a nice 8 pointer on opening day of new york firearms. Then on this past saturday, i got a 3 year old buck in PA with the rifle, only ended up being a big 5 pointer but still a pretty good buck. Then monday I got a small 6 pointer in NJ on their opening day. The only state i bow hunt in is PA and i now do not have a buck tag left. i will be out in the late season with the bow but only going for does. Sorry i couldnt get a score on the board for us, i did hit two big bucks with the bow but did not find either one unfortunately. good luck to everyone else that will still be out there with the bow!
Old 12-08-2010, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

the weather people are never right about anything. it drives me nuts!! i took the muzzleloader out this afternoon instead of my bow and did some driving of thickets and crp with 2 buddies. one of my buddies ended up shooting a doe about 25 yards from my truck. not much of a drag which is what i like. now that muzzleloader season closed today i can focus on bowhunting now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.