Community
2010 - 2011 Bowhunting Contest HNI's annual archery deer hunting contest. Will the Bone Mafia win it again??

Team 11 Natural Bone Killers!

Old 09-15-2010, 04:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys - checked the camera last night, got photos of a VERY nice 10pt - im guessing upper 130's-140's it has 7" brow tines very semetric and heavy. I also have photos of the that buck i posted earlier w/ a drop tine. He's a young looking deer, but should still score high, not a lot of mass... I've got both of them coming thru just before dark gonna give it a shot friday if the wind is cooperative..
Old 09-15-2010, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sitting here at my desk on opening day and see according to the states website there have been over 100 deer checked in already!

On a good note, I stopped by the conservation area that I got drawn for and did a little scouting. Just how old are the Google satellite photos?? I walked at least 50 yards thru what was supposed to be open area that was actually trees over 10 foot tall! Anyway, found one heck of a crossing where one of the lakes forms a little creek when in overflows.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:15 AM
Fork Horn

Climbed a tree last night on public land. Had to does come by about 6:55. Had shots at both (15,20 yrds) gave them both the pass. About 15 minutes later had a little fawn come by under 10 yards and her momma a little further out, they got the pass also. It was a nice first sit of the season.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds good man! I'm so pumped about tomorrow, getting all the final touches on my gear tonight. I'll report when I can!
Old 09-16-2010, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Had the wrong wind last night for the only place I could get to after work. Looks like it will be Sat morning for my first sit.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

So I get home tonight and the wind has changed, perfect for the hillside across the street. I run downstairs, change quickly and grab my bow and load my quiver. It's around 5:30, so no time to pack a stand over and set it up. I'll just hunt from the ground. I wave to the neighbor and head into the woods. I worked my way slowly down the hillside (very steep) until I'm about 10 yds above the small creek which is about 10 yds wide. There's a strip of trees and a small bean field on the other side. I nock an arrow and sit down on a tree root. It wasn't 5 min until I saw 3 doe working across the beans. They walked right to the corner I was set up on, about 20-25 yds away and worked thru the trees down to the creek. All three waded in, drank for a second or two and then walked on. Couldn't tell if they came up the hill or followed the creek on down, but I did not jump them on the way out.

Two of the three presented shots at one time or another, but it was great just to be out there and see something!
Old 09-17-2010, 04:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds great, Todd. I've gotta tell you though... when my season opens on the 25th if a doe gives me a decent shot she's going down. I don't mind since my first weekend I have to hunt close to home because my kids will be there and my spot close to home is my doe killing spot. After that it'll get serious.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good Luck to everyone heading out this weekend, I'm heading out to camp as soon as the 5 o'clock whistle blows!

Hopefully I'll have service to keep tabs or update any action. The first weekend has usually been kind to me in the past.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sat am - 7 total doe passed thru. Saw a bobcat Sat pm, but the undergrowth was too thick to see much of him for long.

Sunday was one wave of storms after another, around 2pm I gave up and headed home.

I did get 2 more stands put up for the next trip though.

Last edited by wallhangr; 09-19-2010 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys, made it out all day Friday, had a great morning. I took a buddy from work who's only killed one deer his whole life and has never seen more than 3 deer a day. I took him to my favorite opening day spot then back tracked about 150 yrds and went up a tree. 30 min after daylight he smokes a doe! It was a perfect shot, she was quarting away at 20 yrds and he did a great job 'aiming for the exit' and it only went about 40 yrds. I saw a bunch of deer and so did he, it was great for both of us. Saw about 10 does and 5 small bucks, which is great cause 3 years ago we lost 85% of our herd to blue tounge and its been dead for the last few years. I'm really encouraged for that farm this year.

I didnt get out on sat cause I was busy doing family stuff, I'm gonna try to get out for an evening hunt this week after work to another farm where I've got 2 nice bucks I'm working on.

Just a tip for you east coast guys, ACORNS! good grief I've never seen acorns as big as they are this year! Who would have thought that they driest year we've had would produce such monster acorns?? I'm telling you, they were the size of plums! It blows me away... the deer are vacuuming them up.

I've got a batch of deer jerky in the dehydrator tonight! Gotta clean out the freezer with hopes of killing another!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.