2010 - 2011 Bowhunting Contest HNI's annual archery deer hunting contest. Will the Bone Mafia win it again??

Team Pneumothorax #8 Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sure hope you find him, man. Sounds like a monster! Was your shot too far back? Hard to hit them too low, unless you just graze through the brisket. I bet he is dead. Good luck on the continued search.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Re-read your post...he should be dead, man. An inch or two low is nothing. If it was right behind his shoulder, should have got some lung and probably the heart too.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Fork Horn

I have a yorkshire terrier that has an amazing nose that I might try to take out there to see if he can come up with anything. I believe the shot was fatal. Just a matter of finding him.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default One of those days

Good luck finding that deer. I have a Yorky you can have. Not to help trail the deer, but just to get out of my house. Just kidding, my wife would kill me.

Well, I went back out this morning and it was just one of those days. I knew it less than 100 yards from truck. Spooked one out of the creek I was walking along. Didn't have horns as far as I know. It was just about enough light to see, but not shoot. Well, 10 minutes after getting into the stand, I knock my coffee cup over and yes, I bring my thermas of coffee. 30 minutes later I get into a coughing fit and 2 doe bust out of the same creek about 100 yards from stand. I was thinking oh why do I even stay in the stand, but you never know. Things can change in a hurry. Well, it did, but not for the better. Around 20 til 8 I have the nature call ringing pretty loud. Not the easy one, but yes, the other. Well, I knew I couldn't make it back to the truck to get up to the farm house, so I get out of the stand and go to a spot that I hope won't spook deer in the days to come. Well, I get almost done and a snort wheeze comes out from the cedars. Not sure what it was, but knowing my luck, it the one in the pic below. But to make matters worse, I didn't have my TP in my backpack, so I had to lose a shirt today. At least it wasn't my favorite or an expensive hunting shirt. Just a old t-shirt.

Oh well right. There is always another day. Won't get back out til Thursday. Saturday is opening day rifle. Hopefully it rains enough later this week to wash away my evidence.

Anyway, here is my latest camera photo. We had not seen this deer on camera or in person yet. He was definatly roaming looking for doe. Maybe he will wander back through during daylight. I really like his split G1's. I don't think I have seen a split here on the farm before. Even of the dozen or so sheds we find every year.

Last edited by mbmrang; 11-08-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:29 PM
Bartender

Clayton hope you find that deer!

Sorry team with working 3rd shift, family and hunting hard not much time to sneak here except from work.:-) The county I live in out of about 18-20 sits not 1 deer by my stand and I'm stumped. I did changed it up last Friday and take a 2 hour drive to my grandma's property and I seen 5 deer on a all day sit but no good shot presentation. I will continue the grind until Nov 18th then I head off to my 9 day Wisconsin gun trip. Good luck to all and hope you get a wack at one.

T
Old 11-12-2010, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

not much luck been seeing the big ones running does at night but im going to a different property in the morning maybe my friend has been seeing deer like crazy so hopfully the big one he has been seeing gives me a opportunity to have a crack at him but i will keep you guys posted.....

Ny,
Old 11-14-2010, 02:20 AM
Bartender

Slow as hell in my area of Wisconsin and I only about 3 sits left before the Wi gun
season starts.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:28 PM
Fork Horn

Well I never did find my deer......BUT, BUT, BUT, look what showed up the other night. I don't know if he'll stay near by or if he was just passing through but WOW. I counted 15 points. Split brows plus 4 ordinary points per side plus a kicker coming forward on both bases and a kicker off the G2 on the right side.

http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/p...ent=mobile.mp4

Last edited by crenth; 11-14-2010 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:19 PM
Fork Horn

well i can say that all of the big bucks i have been scouting have been killed the big ten turned out to be a big twelve and the big eight was killed two days ago so im just gunna hope one of those roamers walks by my stand tomorrow morning good luck guys

Ny,
Old 11-15-2010, 08:54 AM
Fork Horn

I'll try and keep this short....which is hard for me.

Been hunting every day for the last 10 or so. Been holding out for a big 140"+ that I have seen several times. Thursday morning I had an opportunity when he was facing me at 40yds, and I'm locked on him at full draw. I decided to pass in hopes of him turning broadside. He was hot on a doe, so as soon as he moved to chase the doe he never stopped his fast aggressive chase. Before I knew it he was gone.

Friday was hot....in the 70's by mid-day. I saw 2 nice buck chasing a doe at 5pm, but they never came into range.

Saturday was last day in PA. I saw a large 6pt in the am, but its not legal in our area to shoot a buck with less than 4pts on one side. I left my spot and headed for my other on the other side of the property with my stand on my back. I made the 1/2 mile hike only to find some other dude up in my tree. Its my buddies land, so I didn't know who he gave permission to. Instead of messing his last evening hunt up too, I decided to head back to to my truck and drive back to my am spot. By the time I get there its nearly 4pm. I decide with the late arrival to leave my stand and hunt from the ground (shot my last 4 buck from the ground in this spot during the rut). At 4:30 I heard a lot of racket, to my left. It was the big buck and another 8pt chasing a hot doe. They settled into a thicket about 50yds from me. I grunted, and within a few short minutes the big boy chased the doe out over the hill and down into the far valley. He wanted to get her out of there all to himself. The woods are loud, and I could tell the deer was close to 150yds away now and light is fading fast. I put out a few grunts, and the 8pt comes straight at me.

Now all season I have been holding out for the big boy. But in the final hour of the last day, I told myself that if this buck comes into range I was going to take him. I grunted 3 times and watched the buck come straight at me. With his head behind a tree at 8yds I come to full draw. He walks past the tree and turns broadside in the process as he follows the trail. I grunt and he stop short with a 3" sapling right behind his shoulder. I'm at full draw, and steady as a rock. I lean right and theres no shot. I lean left...and see my shot. Using my 20yd pin I put an arrow around 1" left of the tree, and it smacks the deer high. It looked like I hit him just above and behind the shoulder. He runs below me and I hear him stop at 70yds or so. Then nothing for 15 minutes. I pack up my gear, and head over to retrieve my arrow. It was laying loose on a fallen tree just behind where the deer was standing, soaked with blood.

I look over the surrounding area throughly for the next hour, and cannot see any signs of blood. I make my way over to where I last heard the deer stop, and zig-zag up and down the hill across the trails looking for any sign. Nothing. At this point I feel its best to back out and try again in the am when its light.

I'm back in the woods Sunday at 6:30am. Theres a rain storm coming, and I have little time to find the blood trail. I spend 2 hours zig-zagging up and down the hill through my 150yd wide funnel looking for the deer. Nothing...and its starting to rain. I call my buddy, and he's there by 9am. We went through every yard of those woods where the deer could be....thicket, valley, backtrack though my entire hunting area...everywhere. By 12:30 I called off the search. The rain was coming down hard, and I was both physically and mentally exhausted. I have NEVER hit a deer before and not found it. I lost a Buck a few years back and found it a couple days later, which gives me hope. But we went through everything...places I hadn't thought of for that last buck. I plan to head back this weekend and look again to see if I can find him.

My buddies friend had the same thing happen to him on Saturday am. He made a similar shot as mine, and 4 guys searched for his all day Sat & Sun and couldn't find it either. I have heard so much about the "Dead Zone", and I'm certainly a believer now. Apparently there's a small area right above the lungs but below the spine that has nothing. And because of the high hit, it causes the deer to bleed internally instead of bleed out and leave a trail.

I wont take a shot that I'm not confident will quickly and ethically kill a deer. This is the last thing I wanted...I would rather watch a buck of a lifetime walk by and not shoot than to wound him. Wish me luck, but its not looking good. My guess is he's back to chasing does, but if he is wounded I pray he recovers quickly.

Don

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.