2010 - 2011 Bowhunting Contest HNI's annual archery deer hunting contest. Will the Bone Mafia win it again??

Team 14 Official Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 07:39 AM
Typical Buck

I was able to contribute to the team this weekend. I took down a buck that I have quite a few pics of since late spring.

It was youth season here in MO this past weekend. I didn't plan on bowhunting because I planned on taking my 7 year old boy out to try and get his first deer. I didn't imagine him killing one the first morning out. He made a perfect shot with his .223. We saw his deer go down about 20 yards from where he shot it but I wanted him to find the position where he shot it and follow the blood trail. I looked down where he shot it and there was the bottom half of the heart laying on the ground. I've never seen that before. I've seen lung splatter, but never a chunk of the heart. Notice the chunk of the heart laying by the deer's front hoof. Here's Drew and his button buck.

So that gives me the opportunity to hunt on Sunday morning. At 8:00, I saw a doe and a couple fawns move through about 70 yards from me. It was quiet for the next couple hours. At 10:00, I decided to get down because my in-laws were visiting from out of town. I packed my stuff into my backpack, put it on, lowered my bow and as I was undoing my safety strap from the tree, I caught movement out of the corner of my eye. A doe. I quickly pulled my bow back up and nocked an arrow just in case. I still had my backpack on. Sure enough, here comes "Kickback" chasing the doe. Within 20 yards, they ran past me and back again. Every time the buck would stop there would be something blocking my shot. Finally, as they passed me for the third time, I was able to get the buck to stop. He was 4 paces off the base of my tree. There was a limb partially blocking my shot. I had to lean way to the left to just miss the limb and still get into the lungs. I pulled it off. The arrow hit high on the right side and exited low on the left side. As he ran away, I could see blood pouring out of his left side. He ran about 60 yards and fell over. I was a little disappointed when I got up to him. He broke off a 4 or 5 inch kicker coming off the base of his right main beam that went back over his neck. That's where the name "Kickback" came from. He ended up grossing 128-1/8". With the kickback point and the other half of one browtine he broke off, he would have been in the mid-130's. I thought he would have been close to 140" based on the pics I had of him. Oh well, I'm still happy. Here's a few pics of him and me.

A close up of his Kickback point.

A field shot where he went down.

Me and Kickback.

Last edited by Doubled 150; 12-28-2010 at 01:16 PM. Reason: moved pics in photobucket
Old 11-01-2010, 09:28 AM
Fork Horn

way to go doubled!! that's really cool that you get all the pictures and come back and get the deer, especially with them running all over now. congrats on the great buck!! team 14 starting to heat up!

I have off work friday, so i'm hoping to contribute this weekend. brother missed a dandy out of one of the stands i plan on hunting this weekend, hopefully he didn't stir things up much! GL everybody who's still hunting!
Old 11-01-2010, 01:24 PM
Typical Buck

FF/EMT - Great buck. Love the mass all the way out. Sweet!

Let's keep the momentum going boys. There's a lot of good trailcam pics posted on this thread. Let's see some of those deer with your mugs behind them.

Good luck to all!
Old 11-01-2010, 03:17 PM
Typical Buck

Awesome Bucks FF/EMT and Doubled!
Glad to see us get on the board but nowhere near as glad to see a young hunter get his first deer!!!!
A BIG congratulations goes out to Drew

I was able to get out Saturday and did not see anything.

I am hunting a new lease and had not been seeing much sign until Saturday when we came across a couple of scrapes and a few rubs on small saplings.
Weather is cooling off as well so maybe a sign of things to come.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:04 PM
Spike

Congrats Doubled, thats a great deer! Awesome job with your son gettin his first deer too! Good stuff!

Ill be out fri-sun this weekend. Deer were movin pretty good last weekend, but i think it will be alot better this coming weekend!

Good Luck!
Old 11-01-2010, 10:43 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats Doubled great looking buck!! Looks like you had a pretty proud little guy as well, congrats to Him!!

Good Luck to the rest of you guys! Slug season starts here this weekend so my bowhunting is pretty much done until maybe later in December.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:12 PM
Fork Horn

soooooooooooooo pumped for this weekend. tomorrow off work, i'll be in the stand as much as possible and i can't wait. good luck to everyone, hopefully we can put a few down this weekend while they're running!
weather by me is exactly what i've hoped for all year:

now 43F
7am tomorrow 24F
11am 33F
5pm 40F
Sat 7am 27F

awesome. man i am pumped right now.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:48 AM
Typical Buck

There are going to be a whole lot of deer put down this weekend.

I'm done bowhunting until after firearms season. We get two archery bucks in MO but only one before firearms season. Yesterday evening I drove up to the farm and glassed the fields and woodlines. Saw "Hoss", a 135" 9-point, checking a scrape and another buck I've never seen before, a wide 10-point maybe pushing 150". He was running a ridge line.

I wish I was out there right now. Good luck everyone.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:16 PM
Typical Buck

I will be out all day tomorrow, should be a great day even though we have not been seeing alot of deer.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:49 PM
Fork Horn

well nothing this weekend for me... nothing in bow range for the last 3 days! that's how it goes but kinda a bummer considering how perfect the conditions seemed to be. i did see a massive 10 point, but was with a bedded doe and they never came near me, he was 150+ for sure, i'd say conservatively 20" wide, 10" tines and thick the whole way. actually had another guy get a picture on his cuddeback on the same ridge the day before, guess he wasn't moving too far (or bedding in the same area).

Brother shot a little 3 pointer (he's 12 - first deer with a bow!) and dad hit a nice one but must have hit the shoulder or leg bone or something - arrow shattered to 3 pieces and maybe an inch of arrow with the broadhead wasn't found - not a drop of blood anywhere. it's gun season in 2 weeks, i always plan on trying to go out during late season but who knows if it will happen at all. we'll see i guess. good luck to everyone!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.