2010 - 2011 Bowhunting Contest HNI's annual archery deer hunting contest. Will the Bone Mafia win it again??

Team 14 Official Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 09:07 AM
Typical Buck

That's awesome KSFowler, good luck with the new bow!
Jake I have not tried rattling yet but did hit my can a couple times yesterday morning. Shot a doe an hour or so later.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:59 PM
Fork Horn

gl with the new bow! I'm going out this weekend, and now of course they're calling for rain! oh well make the best of it, can't believe we're through the better part of october already. have a few trail cams out too so hopefully they've gotten some good pics in the last couple weeks. last time i went out i did see the bobcat that showed up on one of the cams, and watching him chase down a rabbit which was really cool. now we just need the bucks to start moving!
Old 10-21-2010, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I have my bow shooting bullet holes at 20 yds. I still have not gotten out yet. I think I will give it a go Sat. Morning. It is finally suppose to cool off next week. The deer should really start moving.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:16 PM
Typical Buck

It's a little after 4:00 and I just climbed up in my stand. Hung my "rut hunting" stand earlier this afternoon and I'm giving it a go. Checked my cameras as well. I'll post those in the morning. A few pretty cool pics. Hopefully I'll have some pics with me behind something as well.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

hope the night went well doubled. Any one having any luck? I was out this past weekend, but it was crappy weather. in the 60's and rainy... not the best. did see a couple bucks, including an 8 walking right under my stand that was just a bit too small. got some nice pics from the cams in the past couple weeks, hopefully can catch up with one of these guys soon...

Old 10-26-2010, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Those are some great deer. There necks are really starting to swell up. Good luck with them.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:13 AM
Typical Buck

No luck yesterday evening with any of the bucks I'm after. Saw a single doe....that's it.

Here's the pics I mentioned. It's two of the of the bucks I'm after. I call the typical 9 point on the right "Hoss". The one on the left we call "Kickback" because he has a 5" kicker off the base of his left mainbeam that goes back over his neck. I've never seen these two together before until now. They are in a little food plot and my stand is about 6 yards from where they are.

Here's Kickback coming across the same food plot in the morning. My food plots are looking terrible. Monday was the first rain we've gotten in over 6 weeks. Hopefully they will still come out a little more with the 1/2" rain we got.

Our land borders I-55. A hunting buddy of mine lives on 140 acres directly on the other side of the interstate from our farm. He was out last and said he saw a big nontypical that he's never seen before. He said the mainbeams went straight up, were heavy with junk every where. He also caught this one on his cam. We call him Mr. Clean because he is a clean 8 point. So, we've got 4 pretty good bucks right around the area. Hopefully I'll get a crack at one of them.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

Well guys were on the board! I put one down last night, not one of the biggest ones that I had on camera, but a good one none the less.
I got permission about a week and a half ago to hunt some private land that borders a State Park that is off limits to hunting except for 2 days a year. So for the past few days i had been spending time over there trying to figure out the deer movement but was just getting frustrated. I had put my cams out and it seemed the deer were just moving through this area after dark. So i sat there yesterday (10/28) ,morning and saw a small buck, deciding this was just getting me more and more frustrated i opted to pack and and move back to the property i had been hunting up and till now, with the rut starting to spool up i figured I knew right where to go. So i got moved and was back in the stand by about 1pm. At 230 i had a doe come trotting through, she looked like something could have been chasing her but there wasnt anything behind her, I did notice the trail she came in on and realized i had no shooting lane to where she had come through. After waiting an hour or so after the doe came through a small 1.5 old buck came through at about 7 yards. for some reason the fact that I could not shoot at the trail the doe had come down earlier was really eating at me, so i did some glassing and couldnt see anything coming so i climed down and cut down 3 sapplings so I could shoot out to that trail. After climbing back up and having several other yearlings and small bucks come through about 530 i looked to my right and seen this buck coming. I thought he might be the same buck I have passed on a few times already this year in the same stand, after quickly glassing him i realized it wasnt, much longer tines and he appeared to have heavy main beams. He was coming on a very brisk walk and didnt give me much time to decide, but i made up my mind and decided he was worthy of an arrow. The buck kept coming towards me and now was on the same trail the doe had come down, at 25 yards (right where i had cut down the sapplings) i gave the buck a grunt and and he stopped, I let an arrow fly and it struck him perfectly with the arrow passing cleanly through. The buck turned arround and ran about 35 yards before he slammed into a fallen log and thats where he stopped. He deffinatley isnt the biggest buck in that area but with my vacation winding down and slug season fast approaching I am glad I made the decision i did. He is a main frame 8 with a kicker off of his left G2 and a crab claw at the end of his main beam, but it wasnt quite an inch so it doesnt count. He ended up grossing 134 1/8 and is only a little over 15 inches inside.
Attached Thumbnails Team 14 Official Thread-dscn3779-copy.jpg   Team 14 Official Thread-dscn3799-copy.jpg  
Old 10-29-2010, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

great buck man! I'd have let an arrow fly as well, looks like lots of mass and character on that guy. Congrats man way to get us on the board! That's crazy that with all the moving around and everything things worked out just perfect. What a decision to cut those limbs huh? great story to tell behind a great buck man!!
Old 10-29-2010, 07:12 PM
Spike

awesome buck man and a great story too! good work!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.