2010 - 2011 Bowhunting Contest HNI's annual archery deer hunting contest. Will the Bone Mafia win it again??

TEAM 19- Brotherhood of the Bow

Old 10-27-2010, 05:19 AM
Fork Horn

Congratulaions kreagerj on your new bouncing baby boy! You think your happy now! it gets better (besides the sleeping) by the day Good luck hunting this weekend (season).

Wheatley, good luck!!! go get you a nice one!
Old 10-29-2010, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Heading back down elk hunting with my brother in law this weekend. We are going to try to get his elk now. I believe there is 20" of snow down there now so it should be fun. Weather is supposed to warm up a little so maybe some has melted.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:06 AM
Fork Horn

Good luck and stay warm!!
Old 10-29-2010, 06:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like fun Wheately... have fun... be safe... good luck!
Old 10-29-2010, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the boy kreagerj!

Sorry to hear about it WMH but glad they found your rack.

Just got back in from the woods. I have 60 acres I can hunt directly behind work and I went out at lunch to hang a stand for a hunt this evening. I haven't hunted here this year yet. The wind was unusually out of the NE and I decided to setup off a corner with the wind in my favor. As I approached the woods edge I saw a deer jump up and run. Drats. I bumped a deer right where I was heading. Wait... this deer is running TOWARDS me. She gets to the edge of the woods and hits the brakes. I'm standing in a field with a stand on my back and a pack and quiver slung over my shoulder. We do a stand off for a few minutes and then the wind changes 70* and she runs back into the wood and then parallel the edge. She then turns like she's going to still try to enter the field through a finger to my right. She stops again for a while. Eventually she heads back into the woods. I think to my self; "She's being chased if she was running towards me." But I couldn't see any other deer. I change my course to better accomadate the new wind direction and after another 80 yards I notice a "hump" out of place inside the woods 40 yards. I drop to my knee and draw an arrow and slide my pack off my arm. The "hump" raises his head and it's a buck, a nice buck. Probably 17" inside and decent tines. A 100-110" class buck. Good enough in my book. He's a little out of my range, head-on, and some saplings all combine to make a shot impossible. He notices me and starts moving his head side to side. Wind is in my favor but being in the open is not. I avoid directly looking at him. Eventually he turns and heads the same direction as the doe.

Sorry to disappoint you all with no hero pic but for a quick jaunt during lunch it was pretty exciting. Hopefully the chasing will continue this evening.

Last edited by Talondale; 11-24-2010 at 06:20 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats a cool story. It sounds like a good time to be in there anyway. Good luck to you and hopefully they will run by again this evening or the next while you are ready.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

sounds like a fun encounter!!!
Old 10-29-2010, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats kreagerj on your boy!!

T-Minus 7 hours and I will finally be in the deer stand for the first time of the season!
Old 11-01-2010, 04:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good luck Rammer.
had deer under me in dark yesterday AM and then had one blowing at dark as I climbed down yesterday evening.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

We had a nice elk hunt this last weekend. We got to the area at about 10:45 Friday night and got the camper set up and to bed at midnight. Next morning we got up at 6:00 and started up the mountain, about 2 miles in we ran into deep snow and couldn't go any further. It was just starting to get light out so we decided we would head back down the mountain and try a lower spot. Got to this other spot at about 7:30 and there was only 1" to 2" of snow. We were walking and glassing some open side hills and didn't see anything so we decided to head into the thick pine stand. We followed a ridge top for about 200 yards and seen an elk standing there about 60 yards from us. This area turned into cow/calf only this weekend. This elk was alone and I figured it was a small bull by himself. I could only see the midsection and back though. My brother in law could only see the head and neck. It was a cow by herself so he was able to drop her where she stood with a well placed shot in the neck. We were done by 8:00 AM and started the work of getting her cut up and packed back to the buggy. Got back to the camper at noon and packed up and went home. My legs are a little sore today, I would have thought I would be used to this since it was the 4th elk I have cut up and helped pack out this year.

Hopefully I will be able to get up and do some deer hunting this weekend. This is my favorite time of the year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.