Community
2010 - 2011 Bowhunting Contest HNI's annual archery deer hunting contest. Will the Bone Mafia win it again??

Team 3

Old 11-04-2010, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like your friend LF is getting all your bucks, you better ask her secret
Old 11-04-2010, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, we now say "What would Deb do?" when we're picking a hunting area.

Be patient with me. I've only been out there five times this season. I got my two does in that time frame... so now it's all about finding a shooter buck.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Went out in the rain this evening, saw 2 small does, that's it. I did almost get run over by a slick on the way in....she came flying by me and passed about 5yds away, circled in front of me and headed of sortof in the way she came from. Tail down, tongue out....I thought, here he comes. I waited ready for 10mins, zippo. No clue what she was running from, but it wasn't me.

Christine get some horn on the ground already! Just kidding, I'm sure you'll get one eventually. I understand about time to hunt this year....I've had less time this year than I have in the past 20. I just wish I lived in IL so I could even have a chance at a 130, much less hold off on one. God bless you guys....but man does that kill me! I've seen 2 bucks that size in over 25 years. LOL we have some whoppers around here...

Good luck team, I think the next two weeks should be awesome!

Mike
Old 11-08-2010, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Saw a 140 class buck this morning. He was sort of following a doe. She walked by my stand at only ten yards. He stops about 50 yards away and makes a scrape. Then he notices a small buck coming in behind him. He runs off after the little buck, leaving me and the big doe he was following all heartbroken.

During the evening hunt, I had a doe fawn camp out by my tree for quite some time. Then a 1.5 year old fork horn strolls in and makes a half-hearted attempt to chase her. They do this for a bit and then I see a 2.5 year old buck come in. He checks out the fawn and isn't impressed. The forky actually did a snort-wheeze at the 2.5 year old buck.... but it sounded more like a zerbert and was pretty funny.

Here's my cell-phone pic of the 2.5 year old tempting me to kill him. (note to self.. use real camera next time)

I have three generations of deer in front of me and I'm thinking.. yeah, at any moment 3.5 years old and 4.5 years old will show up. And then the deer look behind me and freak out and run away.

Now, I could hear hikers out on the trails for most of the afternoon. Because apparently nothing is cooler than YELLING AT THE TOP OF YOUR LUNGS WHEN YOU'RE WALKING IN THE WOODS!! But this was different. This was getting close. Pretty soon these idiot hikers are right behind me. They aren't allowed to leave the designated trails... but what am I supposed to do? Shoot them? (They were more tempting than the young bucks) Grrrrr..

Here's one of the hikers.. he's actually looking at me because he could see the flash on my cell phone camera, but he never does figure out that there is a person in the tree.

I did call the park security and they drove down on a four wheeler and ran them off.

I love public land.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bummer sequence if events hopefully you get your vengence
Old 11-09-2010, 07:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default Running Out of Time!

I've Had 3 really nice shooters chasing does around my stand. I haven't been able to get them still long enough to get a shot. Had a big 6 tempting me today but I resisted. I too am seeing a lot of young bucks this year. I think I'm going to take a couple days off of work next week and hunt all day.

Good Luck!
Old 11-12-2010, 07:28 AM
Fork Horn

Hey guys I’m back from seven solid days in a tree stand. I have some mixed feelings about the week. My hunt started off good with having a tall tine 8pt come to one of my grunt calls. He was 16” wide with 8-9” G2s. He came from 70yds out to 50yds but a doe took off and he went with her.
The next few days were slow with only little dinks chasing does. Last Tuesday night I had a tall 8pt at the bottom of a valley 150 yds out. I grunted and he turned and headed right to me. I grabbed my bow off the hook and ranged a few spots I thought he would walk. He came to me on a string. When he was about ½ way to me I glassed him again and saw he had a good sized body on him with good length on his beams. We had to be at least a 2 ½ year old. The only problem was he had maybe a 12” spread. So I let him walk. He’d be a great one for my 15 year old son or 13 year old nephew to shoot. He’s just not what I was looking for.

The big boys are starting to show themselves and I’ll hunt hard this weekend. Good luck!
Old 11-13-2010, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well guys, I went for a change of pace yesterday....took the M/L out. Ended up having a nice 9pt come by around 8am, trailing a doe & grunting. He was about 50yds away, and didn't run far after the shot. I'm glad I got him....he's a pretty nice buck for my area. Was too far for the bow, so this time I actually made the right choice! No idea where he came from, never seen him before. I'll get some pics up when I get them off my daughters camera. I actually wish my son would have gone - I asked him if he wanted to, he said not that time. He would have had the chance, and was pretty bummed he didn't go after I got him. I told him, you gotta put the time in if you want the results! He knows that, but you know how 12yr old brains work

I took him out this morning for the rifle opener....we sat 5hrs and didn't even see a deer! He counted 65 shots....and all we saw was a small flock of turkeys. He was bummed, but handled it pretty well. I'm not sure what is going on with our place this year...its been VERY hit or miss. We still have plenty of time, hopefully he'll get his chance. I told him, thats why they call it hunting, not shooting. You can't get one every time out.

I'm still bow hunting, hopefully I can get on one. I wish I could have gotten this one with a bow...would have loved that. I have till early Jan, so we'll see how it goes. After Thanksgiving week, I'll be back to the bow exclusively for the rest of the season good except for maybe a late season M/L hunt. Good luck guys!
Old 11-13-2010, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

Congrats on your buck WV!

The shooter bucks are avoiding me. (can't imagine why.. )

I did have this buck at 15 yards. He noticed the flash on my cell phone but just gave me a look over and then wandered off. He was right downwind of me too. I told him to come back and see me next year.

(I did bring a real camera but it rained for most of the morning so.... cell phone pic again.)
Old 11-14-2010, 03:39 PM
Fork Horn

Friday morning I saw the big Buck I missed opening day. He was in my shooting lane broadside at 30 yards but a doe had me on lockdown with her eyes...doin the head-bob/stomp thing to try and get me to move. I was hoping she'd look away and he'd stick around but neither happened! He just meandered through. He came in grunting though...must be the doe wasn't in heat yet.

I got till Friday...Pressure's on!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.