Community
2010 - 2011 Bowhunting Contest HNI's annual archery deer hunting contest. Will the Bone Mafia win it again??

Team "10" Most Wanted

Old 11-26-2010, 05:43 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Damon
Its almost our turn to get back in the woods Jag, I have seen alot of success here during gun, ( I dont gun) but I have a story (short) that I will share when I have more time, chaps my azz to tell but it is what it is. Good Luck Gentlemen!
Had today off so I checked two of my stands, one is in a bow only area and the other is real close to a friends house and he doesn't like gunfire around his place, so I didnt even bring a gun
with me. Both stands have activity by them even though one
has guns going off all around and the other has pines being logged off, brought a smile to my face and I can't wait to get back out there with the bow.Any luck sugar?
Old 11-27-2010, 01:06 PM
Typical Buck

Hunted this morning and saw about 19, a few small bucks. My brother had a nice 8 point just out of range and ended up bedding as it was heading my way, that's how it always goes I guess. I believe tuesday morning will be my next day off and now I think I have a route in which the 8 point like to travel.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:27 PM
Spike

I haven't found him yet. Still looking. He lost so much blood I know he is dead somewhere but I don't know where. I am going to go back in the morning and sit until 11 and see what I see then I'll get down and look.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:46 PM
Typical Buck

Sugar check along the nearest water source, they get thirsty when mortally wounded. Don't give up on him, he's some where
in the area. Goodluck.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:29 AM
Fork Horn

Heres the short of the story I mentioned...If you all may recall I just moved into this house (renting), and there was a guy that hunted out back for the past few years, at one time I debated on letting him hunt and had actually come home one day to find him bringing his belongins out of the woods he would leave out year round.

At that time I had a converstaion with him, seemed like an "okay guy" so ....fwd to one week before gun opens, he calls and asks to go back out there, per our conversation I said he could.

Saturday after openging I talked to a couple of guys that hunted an attacheted land, said someone shot a 12pt.20-22" spread , then another gut told me the same, next day I get a call from this guy saying he shot a 12pt @ 70yds with a 30-06 but couldnt find it ("TWICE and couldnt find it" I thought), well, he proceeded to tell me how it all went down and finally he came to admit that both shots were through the brush and he didnt know where he hit it, there was blood everywhere, tracked it well over a mile and found nothing.

This guys stand was about 50yds from mine, I know how thick it is in there and I know that the window for opportunity is small but this guy took two "pot" shots and was not looking for an ethical kill but to have the trophy.

Even if I wouldnt have had the chance to put an arrow through him it sure would have been nice if someone had the chance to at least make a clean kill on what sounds like a great deer.

I know that if I live here next year this guy wont be back in those woods.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:50 AM
Typical Buck

Damon, I agree it's best to keep this "Yahoo" out of the woods. Thanks for the story.

Sugar, I hope you find him. He should have died by now, so I would keep an eye out for buzzards.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:40 AM
Fork Horn

Dont guess you've had any luck on fnding the deer ay Sugar? Well, Bow opened back up yesterday here so I went out this morning and put a little corn down and a couple cams out. Will be hunting the rest of the week in the morning and see what it brings.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:49 PM
Fork Horn

OK, starting to panic just a little. Usually, around the beginning of December I have a freezer full of sausage. This year has been totally different. I've only arrowed two slickheads and haven't been seeing the number of deer I normally do. I've hunted this one area 8 times and have yet to see a single deer there. I see lots of sign (fresh trails, scrapes, rubs..) Looking back in my journal, I average seeing 8 deer per outing at this property for the last 3 years. Talking with other hunters, they say they aren't seeing the number of deer either. Last winter we had snow storm after snow storm with record amounts and during spring gobbler season hunters were seeing alot of carcasses. I guess the winter took a major toll on the Virginia herd, or at least where I hunt. Don't worry guys, I haven't tossed the towel yet. My time in the field is getting limited with it getting dark early. I can only hunt on Mondays...BUT...I'm taking vacation time from Christmas to New years and will be in the VA mountains with my bow.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:24 PM
Typical Buck

I went out on Tuesday with not to much luck, only saw 6 deer. It was rainy and windy all morning, I'm sure the deer were not liking it to much and were bedded down early. Heading out on Sat, lets see if we can't get this team back on the board.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Typical Buck

No news on my front. Heading out on Thursday, lets see if we can't get on the board.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.