Community
2010 - 2011 Bowhunting Contest HNI's annual archery deer hunting contest. Will the Bone Mafia win it again??

Team 20 Thread Red Mist

Old 10-02-2010, 04:58 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by KYDeerHunter03
Checked the cam today and wow is all I have to say about this guy lol

VERY NICE.............
Old 10-02-2010, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

Went out tonight and sat in the strong wind and the rain...SUCKED. Just one doe, hit it again tomorrow........... It's still hunting......
Old 10-04-2010, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

was the 1st day of bow saturday...nailed a doe, she walked up, handed me a letter, it asked if i would just put her out, so i did... and a lil piggy, 1st pig with the bow, was a lil guy, but i was still stoked...had to spot and stalk the whole mess of them 400+ yards, forgot the range finder...of course....took the 1st shot, after holdin the bow back fer 2-3 minutes, i thought i went high, figured it was because i was just tired, so i sent another, went high again, so i moved in a few more yards, by the time i got set, they were gettin ready to leave, and he was only one in shootin distance, booyahh, the arrow hit a lil twig on the way through, missed my mark by a couple inches, but the hog only went 30-40 yards before keeling over....

i wasnt sure i hit him, i couldnt find the arrow, but i went in 20 yards and started a spiral, thats how i knew, when i seen the blood....just wanted to share that...its always good to spiral out and look fer sign anyways, even if ya think ya missed...i did eventually find the arrow, and it was covered in sand, had i not found the pig 1st, i mighta thought i didnt hit him at all, just shrugged it off, there was very little blood on the arrow.. and i found the 1st two shots, they were right side by side in the dirt, less than an inch apart. practice does pay off....need to practice wearing the range finder lol

yes, i absolutely stalked those hogs for 400 yards wearin those shorts and that white shirt...basically walkind down a straight dirt road right to them..me and the clothes washed in scent free products

Team 20 Thread Red Mist-oct02_0008.jpg

Last edited by halfbakedi420; 10-04-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Fork Horn

hey everyone, I haven't gotten out much since opening weekend. But I do have a good excuse, I'm sitting in the neonatal ICU. We had our second daughter on Friday afternoon, and a few hours after she was born she quit breathing. the Dr.'s and nurses got her going again pretty quickly, but they flew us down to the NICU in Sioux Falls that night. She's doing great, all her test are coming back good, they think she just had an infection of some kind, so they're treating her for that and we'll be here for a week. Mom and baby are both doing well. That was the scarriest thing I've ever been through though and we're just thankful everyone's alright!

So in a week or so here I may get out to the stand again, maybe just in time for that 5x7 to show up! I've had the camera up there still under that apple tree, it's be interesting to see what else has shown up.

Good luck everyone!
Old 10-04-2010, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SDarcher
hey everyone, I haven't gotten out much since opening weekend. But I do have a good excuse, I'm sitting in the neonatal ICU. We had our second daughter on Friday afternoon, and a few hours after she was born she quit breathing. the Dr.'s and nurses got her going again pretty quickly, but they flew us down to the NICU in Sioux Falls that night. She's doing great, all her test are coming back good, they think she just had an infection of some kind, so they're treating her for that and we'll be here for a week. Mom and baby are both doing well. That was the scarriest thing I've ever been through though and we're just thankful everyone's alright!

So in a week or so here I may get out to the stand again, maybe just in time for that 5x7 to show up! I've had the camera up there still under that apple tree, it's be interesting to see what else has shown up.

Good luck everyone!
say man, family 1st..this is just a stupid contest...i mean that in the best way...do what ya gotta do..congrats on the new one..i didnt catch the name..there is plenty of days to catch in the woods, ya only got 1 family. glad everything came out ok, and ya dont need an excuse..i thing we can work something out with christine on the score...what was the weight again?
Old 10-04-2010, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

I know, family always comes first. It was just nice to get back on and check things out.

We named her Peyton Elizabeth. She was 7Lbs 4 Oz and 18.5 inches long
Attached Thumbnails Team 20 Thread Red Mist-100_2504.jpg  
Old 10-05-2010, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know, family always comes first. It was just nice to get back on and check things out.

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww so precious!!!
congrats....1st one?
time goes by so fast..take a bunch o pics ok?
Old 10-07-2010, 09:21 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats SD! Can't imagine what you've been through but it sounds like everything is going well. Good to hear!
Old 10-07-2010, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

HOLY COW!!!!!
Team 20 Thread Red Mist-big-deer-792424.jpg
went to a buddy of mines grandparents house...
just a lil 15 acre piece covered in pine trees..
literally the tree's were to close to each other...
turned out to be a total score...
my buddy drank til 6am...but i got up, went and sat in a tri-pod i put up the nite before....
at the crack of day break, the deer started pouring in....dang adrenaline shake, and i aint even thought about taking anything yet lol
i had 5 deer under me at all times..at least 20 more walking around outta distance....but i could see em between the tree's walking around. I waited and waited for this buck i saw the nite before...(we tried to get in an evening hunt the nite before, but my buddy scared em out the back field, and i got to see him (the bigger buck) leaving.
so i waited and waited and waited...
i just couldnt take it anymore...lined up on a doe and let er fly....dinged off a branch and i never found the arrow...soo thick grrrr
the sight distance was clear, but not the flight path....i had learned this lesson already..so anyway all the deer under me run oft...another adrenaline shake....
so i climbed down and walk over and into this 5 foot deep dry creek bed....wow, is it an express lane or what...totally awesome!!!!
i slivered through the property undetected...from one end to the other..this is great!!!
i get about half way down this dry creek bed, and pop up and look...4 deer over yonder...i creep on up...take another peek, careful to go slow and use the tree's and brush on the creek bank as cover.....THERE HE IS...OMG...my hearts pounding and moving into my throat....the creek bed is 5 feet high, and straight up and down and i cant quite shoot because the bank is too high....
so i stay with him...he has another small buck and 2 does tagin along...they are foraging parallel to this creek im in ....this is great..cause the tree's and the creek come together to a point down a lil ways...it will give me a good shot..i make double time down this creek bed, a lil mud, but alot of boulders, easy to walk on, extra quiet..compared to the pine needles and oak leaves that are on the ground up there...i keep a stern eye on him, as they go through the tree's, all i can see is bits and pieces of them as they walk by, mostly shadows....but its happenin...they are headed at an angle toward the creek......i traverse the creek to the spot i think they are gonna cross.....there are a bunch of big tracks in the bottom of the creek where some deer had apparently went through...i take another peek..here they come... adrenaline hits me early...i tell myself to get a grip, i cant even hold my arrow on rest im shakin so bad....deep breaths..deep breaths..omg..i hear a crunch.. "o crap its show time"...draw my bow back ..slowly lift up out the creek, (its only 3 feet deep here), i have eyes on him as they come out behind the tree's.....here we go...peep to 20 yard pin.....deer walks out...crap it aint him...its a doe..crap they switched places..."take the shot on the doe" i say to me..."NOOOO" i yell in my head...."WAIT FER THE FRIGGEN BUCK!!!" i say to me..
so i slowly lower back down... absolutely wore out from holdin the bow drawn back...not to mention its my 3rd adrenaline shake of the morning, ..anyways..im totally spent....but i take a peep up again and here goes another doe and that lil buck..who i appropriately named 4 point...head back down, adjust feet, cause i was slidin on the bank...another peek, there goes ol brush pile head...he had 6 strong points, looks like a 17-20 inch spread..and i aint sure but at least 3 stickers...but he looks right at me....i just freeze..its like 10 minutes...just my eyes and top of my head stickin up in some tall grass, but he has me pegged...i slowly...ever so slow....like the opposite of a million miles an hour...take my head down back into the creek..move a few feet forward, look back up and he is still looking at where i was a second ago...but i have no shot at all...so i stealth-fully run down the creek about 30 feet or so..i go to poke my head up, i see an antler and an eye ball..."o crap" i say to me as i duck back down....go fer another look, but before i can.. i see the antler comin at me..so i duck more..its still coming..."draw your bow dumarse" i say to me...woop, drawn back, pointed up and here he comes looking down in the creek at me....its the stinkin 4 point....i stay drawn and still as can be..certainly he can see me shaking im thinkin, but he just keeps looking at me...omg its an eternity im tellin ya...what was probably 3-5 minutes, but felt like 30 with that bow drawn back...i couldnt hold it any more, i let the tension off the bow and fell to the bank..awwww i was so tired....they all run oft when i fell to the bank and 4 point chit his pants and ran outta there like a floppy great dane lol
as you are figuring out, that aint me and that aint my deer in the pic up there lol...had ta get ya goin, as thats how i was feeling lol chit out of luck lol
all in all was a good time, i was a lil impressed with my stealthiness, but need improvement fer sure..gonna go back in a week er so, get in in the mornin again, and the 1st thing walks out is gettin whacked lol

anyone got a good way to beat those premature adrenaline shakes..this wont make you pre-mature anywhere else will it?

Last edited by halfbakedi420; 10-07-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:32 PM
Fork Horn

AWESOME..........

I have twins, I know all about the NIC... Congrat's, nothing like it..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.