Community
2010 - 2011 Bowhunting Contest HNI's annual archery deer hunting contest. Will the Bone Mafia win it again??

Team 16 - Rack Addicts

Old 11-08-2010, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

Couldn't find him. I've never seen a deer bleed so much and not die. I can only imagine that I shot low, makes me sick. That will probably be the end of my archery season, good luck to the rest of you.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't give up on your season. It has probably happened to all of us at least once. If you give up and don't go out there is no chance at all. Give yourself a chance at redemption.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

He's dead. Get a buddy or three and get out and grid search if you have to. The time spent will be well worth it when you come up on your trophy! Good luck! Hope I rejuvenated your spirit and you can get out and find him!
Old 11-09-2010, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Once again more of the same this morning. We've been seeing them, just not getting any shots on them. We had two small bucks come in fairly early. Then, around 8, Out in front of us I seen 2 does coming up the hill. About a minute later a pretty nice buck was following behind them. If those does would have kept on coming up I'd probably be showing you some pictures of my daughter's buck. But, unfortunately that did not happen. We will be going out this evening and tomorrow evening. We have some stands pretty close to each other and she said she wants to split up now. I said no problem. If she would have been in the one stand the other day she would have had a shot at Brutus. Good luck and happy hunting to all.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

This evening was almost a bust. We went to our one spot and 2 other people were doing stuff to their stands. One of them is strictly a gun hunter and he said he would be there for an hour or so yet. So, we went to our other spot. We were completely settled in the stand at 4:17. It was a little late but I figured as long as we got in there quietly we would be ok. By 4:25 we had a 6 point walk out past us. My daughter said no and let him pass. Then about 4:45 I heard some movement through some brush and trees about 50 yards out in front of us and slightly to our right. I finally seen a white patch. I bleated on the can and the deer immediately looked my way and stared. He probably did not move for about 15 minutes. He finally started walking my way and I recognized him immediately. It was my long lost buddy Twin Towers. I could not believe my eyes. I thought he looked big in those pics I have of him. He was humongous. I think he easily grosses over 200". He started walking towards us. There is a patch of trees between us and him. He is about 30 yards away now but there is no way she can get a shot at him. It looked like he stopped back behind those trees and was rubbing and making a scrape. He stayed back there for another 20 minutes then left. I tried everything. I grunted, snort wheezed, to no avail. I just wonder if I had taken out the doe decoy if it would have made a difference. Oh well, we will be back at it in the morning. Good luck and happy hunting to all.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:07 PM
Fork Horn

I'm sure he's dead as well BGHUNTER.. But I'm with Shawn it's has all happened to us at least once I'm sure.. But if you give up on the season there is no shot at redeeming your season.. I understand if you can't/don't want to get back out there, but I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide..
Old 11-10-2010, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

This morning wasn't as good as it's been the last couple of days. I saw a 2 year old 6 point and my daughter saw a doe. She said she heard other other deer and even heard a buck grunting behind her stand but she only seen the one doe. We are going to try and go out every morning and evening until Satutday evening. Our high school team won it's first playoff so we will be going to the second playoff game which is Saturday night. Good luck and happy hunting to all.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

It was a pretty slow evening. We only seen one 2 year old buck that my daughter didn't want to shoot. Towards dark we heard a few moving but we never seen them. Hopefully tomorrow morning will be better. Good luck and happy hunting to all.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:56 AM
Typical Buck

Helo fellow hunters,...good grief,...its been a very long endless summer.

I have hunted nearly 50 days (probably more) ,..having lost track weeks ago. I have seen alot of nice bucks, had several close encounters, spent many hours working with clients along with single-handedly wiring a 9k sq ft house. Thus my internet hiatus...for that, i apologize.

My wife killed an awesome 10 pointer a week ago today, Here is some of her story.

As many of you know Brian got me into archery this past year and I’ve been having a lot of fun shooting my bow and even went turkey hunting this past spring. I didn’t get a turkey but had so much fun! Well this Oct. 1st was the beginning of my first deer season with a bow. I’ve put in a lot of hours and have enjoyed every minute, had so many close encounters with wildlife it’s just been awesome. Well, Nov. 4th I headed out to a spot we’ve been seeing a nice 8 pointer but when I got there it was too windy for this wimp to get up in a tree stand. Brian had told me before about a spot in the timber that I should try sitting so I decided to give it a try. I walked in and found the fallen tree he suggested I sit in front of and took a look around and thought I’ll never be able to do this he’s crazy! I decided to stay put as he suggested. I’m sitting on the ground with my legs crossed ‘Indian style’ which if you’ve ever shot a bow you’ll know isn’t the easiest position for shooting. LOL! I was leaned back against the log waiting for magic hour just before sunset which is when the deer usually start moving, but they were moving early tonight and I had seen one buck come through the timber out of range.

After sitting about an hour I look to my right and see an 8 pointer standing there staring right at me so I froze and watched as a little 6 joined him. The two of them were very interested in me and kept coming in closer trying to smell me and see what I was. I was starting to think I would have to defend myself! They were standing a mere 10 feet away and directly downwind! It was the most amazing experience. I was texting Brian to tell him all about it when I heard something to my left and turned to see my buck standing less than 20 yards from me. I literally dropped my phone on the ground and picked up my bow. He started raking a tree so I pulled my bow up and he stopped and looked right at me. I froze and he didn’t seem to know I was there, he started walking in my general direction then he stopped at another tree and lowered his head to rub on it. When he lowered his head I drew my bow and followed him as he walked closer. He was less than 10 yards when I took the shot. I was shaking so bad after I shot that I kept sending Brian blank text messages. LOL!

What an incredible experience, I’m hooked for life with this whole archery thing! Just wanted to share my excitement with everyone, I hope all is well with you and yours.

LuAnn

Her first bow buck scored 148 even, I am so proud of her, she certainly is a quick learner!

Last edited by zmax hunter; 11-11-2010 at 04:01 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very awesome buck and great story!!!!! Maybe we can count her buck for yours LOL.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.