2010 - 2011 Bowhunting Contest HNI's annual archery deer hunting contest. Will the Bone Mafia win it again??

Team 16 - Rack Addicts

Old 11-04-2010, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey, Jeremy I looked at the score and seen I forgot to add on the abnormal point. Thanks fro catching that. I guess when I said 110" i was pretty darn close. Good luck guys!!!!! We are on the board now so let this be the start of our victory.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I thought my buck hunting was over this year. I have another chance to take a buck again. Well, not really me, but my daughter really wants to shoot a buck after she seen my son and I get ours this year. She is not a newbie but she hasn't had that much time in the field. She always shoots with us so I know she can shoot really well. I told her she has definitely picked the best time to want to shoot a buck. We will be going out to our magical spot Saturday morning. She also said she isn't shooting a buck unless it tops Dad and brother. She is very disciplined so I know she can hold out. However, if buck fever kicks in on a 1 1/2 year old I told her it would be ok to shoot it seeing it would be her first buck. She said no way!!!!! I'm shooting the big boy this year. She said she is taking the buck we call Brutus down. I really hope she gets him. I believe Saturday through Monday will be 3 of the best days of the year so her chances should be pretty good. I'm really looking forward to it. I think even more so than my own hunts. Good luck and happy hunting to all.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:33 PM
Fork Horn

Congrads ManofTheFall, nice looking buck.

I'm back from taking the boy scouts out bow hunting and we had a great time. One of the boys scored on a spiker and everyone got a chance to participate in the "after shot" experiences of gutting, dragging in the dark, registering, skinning, quartering, and deboning. They took lots of pictures because this is the first deer harvested in 3 years.

I passed on several smaller bucks and got quite a bit of ribbing for letting the 6 pointer walk. It was so enjoyable watching him at 20 yards on all sides of my stand.

After the scouts headed home, I had an evening hunt to myself and watched a nice 10 pointer for 15 minutes checking his scrape line and then chasing off a scrawny 6 that was with a doe in front of my stand. When the 10 spied the 6 with a doe, he trotted in and the 6 headed for the high hills with the doe in toe. The 10 stopped where they were feeding about 60 yards from my set up but wouldn't close the distance.

Heading back up this weekend for a week of bow hunting so hoping to move us up the leader board. Good luck to all and enjoy the best two weeks of the season.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

We will be heading back out in the morning. Should be a great one. We are expecting snow flurries overnight into the morning hours with lows in the mid to upper 20's. I will let you all know how it goes. Good luck and happy hunting to all.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Surprisingly we only seen one little buck this morning. My daughter said no way!!!!! I'm waiting on the big one. Tonight we will be going to our high school's football playoff game. Tomorrow morning we will be back at it. I'm hoping with the time change those big boys that were moving just before light will move at the same time they have been moving and we can nail one. Good luck and happy hunting to all.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

This morning's hunt was not successful but we did have an encounter with Brutus. About five minutes til 8 I heard something coming up the hill from the right. I looked over and saw a doe coming. I told my daughter just in case get ready. Then I seen him. As soon as I seen him I knew it was Brutus. This was the first time I seen him in person and he is one big bodied deer and I'm guessing his rack would break 140". The doe came straight up the hill between 40 and 50 yards to our right. I have seen many deer take this path before. On many occasions they would turn left and cut 15-20 yards in front of our stand. Unfortunately this morning the doe went straight up the hill with brutus following about 50 yards behind her. Then a smaller buck was taking that same route as well. We hung out there in the stand hoping they would maybe come back and pass by but it never happened. Maybe tomorrow morning will be her day. Good luck and happy hunting to all.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Fork Horn

Well...I shot one. I have a lot of white hair and very little blood at the place he was shot, but the arrow shows that is was a pass thru. I tracked small drops of blood for about 50 yds and decided to back out and track in the am. On the way out, 100 yds, I decided to check a couple trails that crossed a nearby creek and found a good looking blood trail. The question is how high the arrow entered.. Wish me luck, sleep won't come easy tonight.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:34 AM
Fork Horn

Just sittin here waiting for light. I bet I only slept 3 hrs last night, and had dreams about trailing while I did sleep. Sun will be up in 30 min. Prob a 125" deer, I hate this feeling.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck finding him. We will be waiting on the pics. Post em up as soon as you get him.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

It was more of the same this morning. Around 7:30 we seen a very large buck about 80 to 100 yards away off in the distance chasing 2 does. Right about 8 oclock we had two does running full speed about 50 yards behind us but nothing was in tow. Then about 20 minutes after 8 I heard something off to my right again coming up the hill. It wasn't Brutus but it was a shooter. He closed to within about 40 yards but she did not have a shot. That was all the action we had this morning. Tomorrow morning we will be going back out to the apple orchard.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.